Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 07:51 PM

114 posts, read 246,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnwilli View Post
Hi
I need to ask a blunt and sorta tacky question.
We live in NY on Long Island and really want to move to the Raleigh area.
Job offer in Cary for 75K yr- Partner makes about 50k.
Where we are now we could not make ends meet on that. can barely make it on alot more and HATE the crowds and the self serving attitudes.
Homes that we are looking at are under 300k. our commutes are close to 30 min each day. kids in college...2 @ home.
I am scared that we won't be making enough to not be worried about making our bills each month. Am I being overly afraid? I want our life to be a little bit easier for my family...
Is that enough money to COMFORTABLY live on?
We moved here from CT just over two years ago. Your combined salary is in the same ballpark as ours. We are living much better than we did in CT. We made some money on the sale of our house and were able to significantly upgrade our home and with a lower mortgage.

There are something more expensive here, but the big items such as homes, insurance, utilities are much much less. With 4 kids, 2 in college you won't be living large but you will be much better off than you are in LI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 09:29 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifevicarious View Post
And so does the interest rate. About a $150 a month per point on a $250K loan. Not considering Interest (or the PMI's you would pay based on your 50K down on a 300K house scenario) is not great advice. A 250K loan for someone making 125K a year at 4% is 11.5% of income which is ULTRA conservative. Far less then half of what banks will give you. There is nothing wrong with being on the low side but your notion that it should NEVER be more then twice your income is quite short sighted.
I think the 2-2.5 times annual salary thing needs to be updated. Applied when interest rates were 8-10%, but in this ultra low interest rate environment of the last few years (and the next few years), those guidelines can be adjusted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary