Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 07:39 AM

11 posts, read 28,480 times

Advertisements

What kind of varmints should I be aware of encountering in my new home in Raleigh? I will be buying a house in North Raleigh if this makes any difference.

In FL we have in-house nuisances such as silverfish, roaches, ants, termites, daddylongleg spiders, and attic rats. Outside we have mosquitoes, flies, horseflies, wasps, dragonflies, junebugs, and lizards and frogs of varying size from small to startlingly large. On the larger scale we have benign black garden snakes, iguanas, rats, turtles, land crabs, grey squirrels, opossums, raccoons, alligators and the rare fox and armadillo.

Just wondering what to expect in the corners of the closets and out back. We have smallish dogs, so this is also a concern, are there any special shots for dogs in NC? We also have the poisonous huge tree frogs that kill dogs if they touch them in FL, anything like that in NC?

Someone mentioned mosquito problems, are they a big problem year round, and all day?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 07:42 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Heartworm prevention is a must for your dogs.

Be sure Rabies is kept current. Racoons and foxes can bring rabies to your pets.

Ah attic rats, I remember them from New Orleans. Not common here.

We have ants, crickets, spiders, and mosquitos in our North Raleigh residence. Dodson Brothers Exterminators does a good job. Orkin was totally useless in another place.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:12 AM

4,606 posts, read 7,689,070 times
That particular bufo toad genus is not found in NC. And no land crabs...lol, I remember those,

The NC Wildlife site will help you on the territory of wild animals, and also a search on this forum will bring up all sorts of threads on this topic.

Last edited by autumngal; 08-09-2007 at 09:27 AM..

Old 08-09-2007, 09:24 AM
mdm

78 posts, read 386,881 times
Lots of spiders!

Old 08-09-2007, 11:18 AM

445 posts, read 1,859,195 times
Also copper heads - my beagle has been bitten twice within the past year. Not usually fatal to dog or man, but painful.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:27 AM

3 posts, read 7,467 times
COPPERHEADS! I just moved to N. Raleigh. I'm within walking distance of Shelly Lake. I've been wondering if I should beware of snakes because of the lake and my backyard (nothing but woods).

Old 08-09-2007, 11:32 AM

We once saw a small black snake in our bushes. Non-poisonous.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:17 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
"Varmints"?

Well, I'm most annoyed at the varmints that come to my door and try to sell me magazines, even with the "no soliciting" sign at the beginning of my neighborhood!

We do seem to have our fair share of spiders, although I blame the trees!

I've heard from others that we seem to have our share of mosquitoes but they don't bite me so I can't say first hand that we have alot.

I saw a snake ONCE but he was dead in the street.

A very cute bunny lives near my green electrical box.

I saw a turtle walking across the street the other day. Really. A real green turtle.

We had a mouse in the garage once.

Sometimes in August, I'll notice very tiny ants around my sink. One of those "ant motels" and 5 days later, all gone!

l/2 of the houses I have inspected DO have termites. Seems people don't want to pay for the warranty...about $125 per year.

My dog lives in the backyard during the day and loves to chase the many squirrels.

I have seen alligators but they were in Florida. My aunt had one in her backyard...in florida!

Vicki

Old 08-09-2007, 01:26 PM

We get some cute lizards. Cats go nuts watching through the windows.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:30 PM

285 posts, read 1,039,882 times
We've actually seen and heard coyotes where we live in Orange County, but I doubt you'll see many running around North Raleigh. I consider coyotes more of a "critter" than a "varmint". Critters are wild things you actually like.

Definitely have to get tick and flea treatments for pets. I've been on hikes around here and had to pick off over 8 ticks at one time.

I've had chigger bites, seen baby copperheads on my property, and have heard that fox and owls carry off cats in our neighborhood.

Some people I know have problems with ants in their kitchens and bathrooms. And you CAN get roaches here, but what we have is nothing compared to what you get in Florida.

And though this isn't a "varmint", I am constantly plagued with Poison Ivy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary