U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2007, 09:25 PM

9,662 posts, read 27,893,188 times

Advertisements

FYI,

Water restrictions in Raleigh and surrounding areas (see below) are being stepped up effective tomorrow (August 28th).

Under the new rules, irrigation systems and hose-end sprinklers can be used once a week during select hours. Hand-held watering is allowed two days a week during select hours.

Fines are also going up. A first violation is $200, a second $1,000 and a third will result in your water being shut off.

The rules apply to customers in Raleigh, Garner, Knightdale, Rolesville, Wake Forest, Wendell and Zebulon.

You can read the details about the restrictions at the following link:

Stage 1 Water Restrictions Effective August 28

Just curious how many people are still planning on overseeding their fescue lawns this fall? It is my understanding this is usually done the week or so after labor day to provide enough time for the lawn to establish itself before the cooler weather. It is also my understanding that an overseeded lawn needs to be lightly watered every day for two weeks to ensure germination. Not much point in overseeding your lawn this fall if you can't water the seeds becuase of the drought restrictions. I am not complaining....I think having enough water to drink is the most important thing, but I do wonder about this since the lawn care industry is pretty big in this area. A lot of landscapers out there will be missing out on a lot of jobs I imagine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 10:39 PM

997 posts, read 4,358,692 times
Too late now but I think that Raleigh could have avoided all of this if they had water restrictions in place several years back like Cary has.

In this heat, watering my grass three designated days a week, twice per day has kept it green excpet in a certain spot where one of the sprinkler heads needs adjusting.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:20 AM

2,892 posts, read 6,721,929 times
jln69, aren't there some other issues like Falls versus Jordan at play as well? IIRC Jordan has more capacity and is underutilized whereas Falls is smaller and all the water is spoken for.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:23 AM

9,680 posts, read 24,917,569 times
Raleigh could have avoided this by not allowing so many building permits knowing from past experience that water capacity is marginal.

Greed over good sense every time.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:04 PM

4,607 posts, read 7,161,534 times
Good posting by all...

Isn't there a plan (laughing! always a plan) to extend Falls Lake?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary