Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 04:17 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,812,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I'm the same age as you and I remember it too from when I was a kid!
I actually had always thought of it was a "Yankee" term because as I say, we never called it anything but "The Day After Thanksgiving",even when I worked in retail, until about 10 years ago and then it was always Northerners using it. My stepmother was one of the first I knew who used it all the time and yup, she spent most of her adult life in Pennsylvania. Interesting to know the full story

I saw a flyer in the paper today about "Black Saturday" at Sears
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 04:40 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,088,107 times
I didn't hear the term until about 10 years or so ago, either. I didn't hear it during the sixties, seventies, eighties, and early nineties when I lived up North.

I enjoyed staying home -- and Walmart spokesman saying it was a good day for them. OMG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I actually had always thought of it was a "Yankee" term because as I say, we never called it anything but "The Day After Thanksgiving",even when I worked in retail, until about 10 years ago and then it was always Northerners using it. My stepmother was one of the first I knew who used it all the time and yup, she spent most of her adult life in Pennsylvania. Interesting to know the full story

Old 11-26-2011, 07:15 AM

553 posts, read 1,271,601 times
I spend some time working retail back in the 90's which included some "Black Fridays". Will never shop on Thanksgiving weekend as a result.

Honestly, there absolutely nothing I want or need that would warrant my dealing with the insanity and heinousness. And, I love to shop. I just don't do well with crowds.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:28 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post

Got a NewEgg email ad today promoting "Black November."

Old 11-26-2011, 08:54 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,156,634 times
The day's name originated in Philadelphia, where it originally was used to describe the heavy and disruptive pedestrian and vehicle traffic which would occur on the day after Thanksgiving. Use of the term started before 1966 and began to see broader use outside Philadelphia around 1975. Later an alternative explanation began to be offered: that "Black Friday" indicates the point at which retailers begin to turn a profit, or are "in the black"

Black Friday as a term has been used in multiple contexts, going back to the nineteenth century, where it was associated with a financial crisis in 1869 in the United States. The earliest known reference to "Black Friday" to refer to the day after Thanksgiving was made in a 1966 publication on the day's significance in Philadelphia:

JANUARY 1966 -- "Black Friday" is the name which the Philadelphia Police Department has given to the Friday following Thanksgiving Day. It is not a term of endearment to them. "Black Friday" officially opens the Christmas shopping season in center city, and it usually brings massive traffic jams and over-crowded sidewalks as the downtown stores are mobbed from opening to closing.

The term Black Friday began to get wider exposure around 1975, as shown by two newspaper articles from November 29, 1975, both datelined Philadelphia. The first reference is in an article entitled "Army vs. Navy: A Dimming Splendor," in The New York Times:
Philadelphia police and bus drivers call it "Black Friday" - that day each year between Thanksgiving Day and the Army–Navy Game. It is the busiest shopping and traffic day of the year in the Bicentennial City as the Christmas list is checked off and the Eastern college football season nears conclusion.
The derivation is also clear in an Associated Press article entitled "Folks on Buying Spree Despite Down Economy," which ran in the Titusville Herald on the same day.

Store aisles were jammed. Escalators were nonstop people. It was the first day of the Christmas shopping season and despite the economy, folks here went on a buying spree. ... "That's why the bus drivers and cab drivers call today 'Black Friday,'" a sales manager at Gimbels said as she watched a traffic cop trying to control a crowd of jaywalkers. "They think in terms of headaches it gives them."
The term's spread was gradual, however, and in 1985 the Philadelphia Inquirer reported that retailers in Cincinnati and Los Angeles were still unaware of the term.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:42 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,510 times
So I decided to go to Crabtree around 4 on Friday and it wasn't bad at all. Most of the deals were still available.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:07 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,228,719 times
Years ago, before Southpoint and Triangle Towne Center, it was impossible to travel anywhere near Crabtree, from Thanksgiving to Christmas. I don't see that anymore, which is good for me since I use Glenwood Avenue a lot!

I went to Southpoint yesterday about 5:30. I got front row parking! Yes, it was still crowded but by that time, the folks that got there very early were leaving and so I was able to go right to the front of the store and snag my parking place!

Vicki

Old 11-27-2011, 09:02 AM

81 posts, read 137,919 times
I got to Southpoint Mall at 8:45 am. I parked near the department store entrances, got the 3rd spot(someone was pulling out). After wandering around for an hour and deciding I needed nothing, I drove around to the Movie theatre side and AGAIN got great parking. I find the key to parking is to wait patiently and someone or the other will leave soon enough. Shopped some and left after 45 minutes. I was back home at 10:30 AM. NOW I can say 'yes I did go shopping on Black Friday". In general, I have always had good luck with parking at SOuthpoint.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:57 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,613,953 times
I haven't bought a darn thing this whole weekend (not online, not in person).. feels great actually!

Old 11-27-2011, 02:34 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,152,505 times
What I bought was an Oral-B electric toothbrush -- from Amazon.

Black Friday - Bah Humbug!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary