Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2011, 03:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,208 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I am considering a relocation to the Raleigh/Durham area from Philadelphia and have already read through a number of insightful threads that have been very informative and helpful. Thank you very much. In a nut-shell I am 23 and own a small but growing IT company with all employees currently working from the comfort of their own home offices. Since graduating college a few years back I have been "relaxing" and enjoying life but am now ready to "grow up" and re-focus my priorities.

My ideal location would put me in the heart of the city whereby restaurants, stores, bars and so on are all within walking distance. I much prefer modern/urban/loft living and off-street parking would be clutch. Wake up, go for a quick run, work for a few hours, hit the gym [goal], work some more, evening activity, work a bit more and off to bed.

In addition to focusing on the development of my business, I would like to expand my horizons and help contribute to making our society a better place by joining local organizations and donating my free time to charitable causes. And I don't think finding local activities should be much of an issue... it's a city.

I will be moving alone and therefore any place I opt to move should be relatively safe, friendly and have some good looking, sophisticated, ladies

So far, I really like the look of: http://www.goldenbeltarts.com/space_lofts.shtml

I also like: http://www.712tucker.com

From the limited information that I have posted are there any other good locations in the surrounding area that I may wish to consider?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 06:55 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,651,103 times
I have a friend who lives at the 712 Tucker location. He loves living there and walks everywhere. However they do or used to have a waiting list. So keep that in mind when you look. You may like this in Cary.. The Apartments at the Arboretum, Cary NC Luxury Apartments (http://arboretumresidences.com/lifestyle/ - broken link)

Old 11-27-2011, 07:32 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,104,176 times
You will be very disappointed thinking Raleigh is a city like Philly. I've lived in NYC, Los Angeles, and New Orleans. Raleigh does not compare but is nice in its own way.

No public transit. No major attractions. Mainly suburban with a small downtown.

Don't give up a good job without visiting and, if you like Raleigh, getting a solid new job offer.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:03 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,106,421 times
Do you live in Philly? Center City or Rittenhouse Square types of areas?

Raleigh is nothing like Philly. It's tiny in comparison.

And, funny thing? Philly isn't exactly huge. Philly is just more densely concentrated. Raleigh is very sprawled out.

I've spent a great deal of time in Philly, mostly staying in the two areas I mentioned. The vibe is NOTHING like it anywhere in the Triangle area. And I'm a native of this region.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:46 PM

9,765 posts, read 15,714,546 times
I can't help you, as we haven't yet moved to the Triangle (we're heading down in January), but as a native Philadelphian, I just wanted to say, "hi."

Old 11-27-2011, 08:59 PM

699 posts, read 1,702,463 times
You might want to consider living closer to one of the universities if you are looking for bars, restaurants, gym, stores, etc. within walking distance.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:44 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,128,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatRoy1 View Post
You might want to consider living closer to one of the universities if you are looking for bars, restaurants, gym, stores, etc. within walking distance.
Honestly I would say you would have better luck finding this around Glenwood South than you would around NCSU's campus. Hillsborough Street is getting there but still isn't quite there.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:38 PM

84 posts, read 147,400 times
You MUST visit here first. Raleigh is always getting better, but its not Philly, its spread out and more "family-ish" than you might want. DO NOT give up a good job without having one nailed down in the Triangle.

Cary is all about family. I can tell you more about Raleigh, just send a message...

Old 11-28-2011, 06:41 PM

117 posts, read 283,575 times
I go between the two cities frequently. I am not single so have to defer to others on the best areas but what about North Hills? Seems upscale and safe. Has bars, restaurants, gym, large grocery in walking distance and downtown Raleigh is only 5-10 minutes by car.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:22 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,626,779 times
If you are interested in 712 Tucker, you might also want to check out Hue which is closer to the city center. Also, there are plenty of condos in the downtown Raleigh area that may have some rentals available. Some building names include 222 Glenwood, The West, Paramount, Quorum, The Dawson, Palladium Plaza and RBC Plaza.

I've lived downtown for the past 4.5 years and we are in the process of buying a house downtown. We love living here and being a part of a newer, evolving downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary