Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 11:23 AM

22 posts, read 32,027 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I hear that the police in the triangle area love to give tickets. How true is this statement? where I live now the police are more occupied with real problems. Will I actually have to drive the speed limit, and come to complete stops? I would just like to be prepared for how to drive in the area. Is the triangle a police state?.

Thanks for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2006, 11:32 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,526 times
In Cary, they are EVERYWHERE. I got my first and online speeding ticket there. I've seen cops in Apex pull people over for not making complete stops at stop signs. But Cary seems to be the worst for that. DH and I joke that you cannot drive in to Cary without seeing at least 1 cop (it's true!).

Old 09-10-2006, 11:53 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
Traffic enforcement seems to be paying off well in Wake, Orange & Durham counties compared to other NC counties on a per capita basis.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/departments/nrd-30/ncsa/STSI/37_NC/2005/rate1.gif (broken link)

Old 09-10-2006, 11:55 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Interesting...silly me...I've lived in North Raleigh and Cary for the last 25 years and I've not gotten a single ticket. Oh wait. Could it be that I follow the LAW??? Sorry...couldn't resist being a smartie pants!

Vicki

Old 09-10-2006, 12:33 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,388 times
Vicki,

You are too funny. Thanks for making me laugh,before I venture out to meet a client. Have a great day. Hey lets have lunch someday and compare note
;-)

Debbie

Old 09-10-2006, 02:47 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Interesting...silly me...I've lived in North Raleigh and Cary for the last 25 years and I've not gotten a single ticket. Oh wait. Could it be that I follow the LAW??? Sorry...couldn't resist being a smartie pants!

Vicki
I didn't think I was breaking the law, either. What happened to me is I was going 38 in a school zone during what I THOUGHT were-non school zone hours. It turns out they had changed the school zone hours to run all day and I didn't know it. I had to pay a $125 ticket and my insurance shot up $20 a month (apparently you can't get pardoned for speeding in a school zone ticket...so even though I pled down the ticket, I got nailed anyway with my insurance).

My problem with the Cary police is that it feels like harassment. You can't go anywhere without seeing cops swarming everywhere. Considering how little crime there is in Cary, this seems excessive. They seem to love setting up speed traps as a way to generate revenue. Sure, we should all follow the law (and I bet most of us do most of the time) but ALL people sooner or later might accidentally go faster than the posted speed because they were distracted or didn't realize it had changed, etc. It just seems like in Cary there is a cop on every corner waiting for someone to ***** up so they can pull them over and give them a ticket (and don't even get me started on all the red light cameras ).

Old 09-10-2006, 02:54 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,854,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandraShane View Post
Hello All,

I hear that the police in the triangle area love to give tickets. How true is this statement? where I live now the police are more occupied with real problems. Will I actually have to drive the speed limit, and come to complete stops? I would just like to be prepared for how to drive in the area. Is the triangle a police state?.

Thanks for any information.
That is actually a good thing IMHO. Here is why. Where I live they are also occupied with DV calls or high crime calls and you rarely see a traffic stop. Result? The area has high crime.

In an area where there is traffic stops, that means there is less crime and more time to do traffic stops. Remember its the traffic stops that get the drug dealers, no DL, DUI, etc. If you were a shady person, would you want to go through a city where the odds were you going to get stopped? Result? Better area.

Also Cary has a 3&4 on crime. No bad, not great. Things to keep in mind.

My $.02

Old 09-10-2006, 02:59 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
That is actually a good thing IMHO. Here is why. Where I live they are also occupied with DV calls or high crime calls and you rarely see a traffic stop. Result? The area is high crime.

In an area where there is traffic stops, that means there is less crime and mroe time to do traffic stops. Remember its the traffic stops that get the drug dealers, no DL, DUI, etc. Result? Better area.

Also Cary has a 3&4 on crime. No bad, not great. Things to keep in mind.

My $.02

Yeah, I noticed police all over when we traveled from Wilmington to Raleigh. We even commented on this girl driving irractically and said we hope she gets pulled over and we saw her up the road getting a ticket.

Old 09-10-2006, 03:08 PM

336 posts, read 513,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
My problem with the Cary police is that it feels like harassment. You can't go anywhere without seeing cops swarming everywhere. Considering how little crime there is in Cary, this seems excessive.
This is the REASON that there is little crime in Cary. If there was not such a high police presence, crime would go up. It is not a difficult concept to grasp.

Old 09-10-2006, 03:19 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,854,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S. View Post
This is the REASON that there is little crime in Cary. If there was not such a high police presence, crime would go up. It is not a difficult concept to grasp.
I agree. I just said that. I had a meeting with the Chief and LT here at local PD and said same thing. Lets see the guys giving out more tickets. This will show presence of police. In 4 years here I have seen a traffic stop probably 4x!

Again, I agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary