Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 11:10 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I'm very sad that NC is taking this vote. I thought it was a little more progressive than that.
Don't worry. The national media is going to have a field day with this come May. This ridiculous vote for a specific ban (which will change nothing) after New York legalized same-sex marriage last year will result in the whole country laughing at North Carolina. This will hurt the Republican's cause and further highlight the hypocrisy of the party.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-15-2012 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 01-15-2012, 06:48 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I'm very sad that NC is taking this vote. I thought it was a little more progressive than that.
Do be aware that NC has outlasted 30 other states, including "liberal" Oregon, on this issue (constitutional amendment defining marriage to ban same-sex couples among other things). For 7 years it was introduced in the Legislature and was always held back in committee, but that was when Democrats controlled the Legislature. Unfortunately, in 2010, the poor economy caused Republicans to take both houses of the NC Legislature, all on promises to spend all of their time working for economic issues, yet the minute the got the upper hand, they went straight to the divisive social issues, such as this one, the one mandating ultrasounds for every woman considering an abortion, and the latest midnight mumbo-jumbo forbidding teachers to have NCAE dues withheld from their paychecks. So much for the "party of smaller government and greater individual rights", eh?

Old 01-15-2012, 06:53 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
We've wandered so far from the OP that I don't think there's any way to get back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary