Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:08 AM

67 posts, read 175,465 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

First of all.. I am from Philly so I am not expecting Pats or anything like that.. but I do not consider Subway subs "subs". Any thoughts.. my parents are coming down and would like to have a cheesesteak/sub.

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 08:22 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
If you're willing to make the trek to Cary, Anvil's Cheesesteaks are great. Owner is actually from Philly and they use Neomonde bread. Cloo's in Raleigh also makes a pretty fine cheesesteak.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:42 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,150,198 times
I'm a bit reluctant to post this, as it really does not answer your question, but I just, for the life of me, can not understand why someone from Philly would travel to NC to have a Philly Cheesesteak. It would be like me travelling to Philly and going out for BBQ.

I really don't mean any disrespect (and in fact I'm glad you asked, because now I need to try Anvil's!!!!), but do you think they may enjoy trying someting "North Carolina"?

I just feel like anything you could possibly show them is going to be a failure, as they are in the KNOWN best place for that kind of food. We are sub-par in that regard, so maybe consider showing them what we are best at? (or maybe you are helping them to realize how lucky they are...)

Seriously, I don't mean to disrespect you. I just don't understand...

That said, "Anvil's, here I come!!!"

Old 11-29-2011, 08:45 AM

I have to admit Bmateo, I was wondering the same thing. Personally I'd bring out-of-towners somewhere like Allen and Sons. But then again, when my Korean friends come and visit, all they ever want to eat is Korean food which I find strange since all they do is complain that it's not as good as the food back in Korea. I don't know why they would expect it to compare

Old 11-29-2011, 09:03 AM

67 posts, read 175,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
I'm a bit reluctant to post this, as it really does not answer your question, but I just, for the life of me, can not understand why someone from Philly would travel to NC to have a Philly Cheesesteak. It would be like me travelling to Philly and going out for BBQ.

I really don't mean any disrespect (and in fact I'm glad you asked, because now I need to try Anvil's!!!!), but do you think they may enjoy trying someting "North Carolina"?

I just feel like anything you could possibly show them is going to be a failure, as they are in the KNOWN best place for that kind of food. We are sub-par in that regard, so maybe consider showing them what we are best at? (or maybe you are helping them to realize how lucky they are...)

Seriously, I don't mean to disrespect you. I just don't understand...

That said, "Anvil's, here I come!!!"
Its all good.. I live in CH...my parents want BBQ but also want to find a cheesesteak/sub place.. they also want to goto Mama dip's.. mmmm....

Old 11-29-2011, 09:21 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
come to my house for cheese grits casserole. Now that is real NC food. Not a fan of Mama Dips.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:49 PM
WDJ

286 posts, read 789,272 times
If you head to Anvil's you have to try out their pork sandwich as well. I'm from Philly as well, and this place is legit.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:11 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,888 times
From Philly here and Anvils is the closest thing to a good cheesesteak we have here. And honestly, it's a great sandwich on its own. Not quite a real steak, but great nonetheless.

Fat Phillys in Holly Springs isn't bad, they fly in Amoroso rolls. Jumpin Jonnys in Brier Creek is Ok too but definitely, definitely not a true cheesesteak.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:26 PM

I heard Jumpin' Jonny's closed down.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:56 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I heard Jumpin' Jonny's closed down.
Bummer. They were never really too busy in there now that I think about it. They had whiz so it was nice every now and then but the bread was an absolute joke so it got soggy. Still tasty though when you get that whiz craving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary