Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 08:35 PM

8 posts, read 18,116 times

Advertisements

I was so confident in moving,but reading the other posts,kind of makes me wonder if it is possible.I hate to be stuck in this nowhere town,but I'm starting to think that I am going to be.The other posts about how hard it is to find a job is scary,of course I have no formal college training,so I wouldn't be looking for a specific job,I do have a cna certification as I stated before.Willing to work any job,even two of them to pay the bills.Then there are the posts about having enough saved to live on until I find a job,and that in order to rent,you would either need a job or proof that you have a large bank account,which I don't have either right now.I have about enough saved to live for a couple months, at least, without a job,but not sure if that would be enough.I was thinking about my families future by relocating,but I don't want to move and be worse of than I am now.My heart is telling me this is right,but my mind tells me other wise......and we all know the heart can be misleading at times.Any suggestions or advice?I guess i'm just hoping for hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 08:59 PM

35 posts, read 292,997 times
minnisweets - as a fellow Minnesotan originally, I have lived quite a few places - was there a reason Raleigh stood out for your impending move?
We are in the process of moving to Raleigh and are quite excited - but if it's the nicer weather, etc. you are looking for, how about New Mexico? We lived there for 8 years and loved it - any student graduating from a New Mexico high school with a 2.5 grade point goes to university for FREE - talk about opportunity!! lots of other great points too - perhaps simlar salaries for your line of work - just a thought!

Old 09-09-2007, 09:15 PM

8 posts, read 18,116 times
no,it's not about the weather,winters don't bother me too much,of course being from Minnesota,that's a given.I just want a fresh start,bigger city,good college opportunities,jobs,affordable living, etc....I know that alot of cities in the U.S. can offer these things,but in my research,Raleigh stood out to me.I never knew that about New Mexico colleges,that's a great piece of info,thank you!!That IS a great opportunity.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:16 PM

35 posts, read 292,997 times
minnisweets - wishing you all the best - all children should have as dedicated a mother as you, they are truly blessed!! You deserve wonderful things to happen, and they will!

Old 09-10-2007, 07:58 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Perhaps New Mexico might have a lower cost of living, and the college system sounds great for your kids.

UNC tuition keeps going up more than the general inflation rate every year, and Bush has limited Pell grants.

Keep checking out areas until you hit the best one for you. If there's a chance of getting your RN, go for it.

Best wishes.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:17 AM

306 posts, read 1,192,203 times
Lightbulb I have an idea for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnisweets View Post
I was so confident in moving,but reading the other posts,kind of makes me wonder if it is possible.I hate to be stuck in this nowhere town,but I'm starting to think that I am going to be.The other posts about how hard it is to find a job is scary,of course I have no formal college training,so I wouldn't be looking for a specific job,I do have a cna certification as I stated before.Willing to work any job,even two of them to pay the bills.Then there are the posts about having enough saved to live on until I find a job,and that in order to rent,you would either need a job or proof that you have a large bank account,which I don't have either right now.I have about enough saved to live for a couple months, at least, without a job,but not sure if that would be enough.I was thinking about my families future by relocating,but I don't want to move and be worse of than I am now.My heart is telling me this is right,but my mind tells me other wise......and we all know the heart can be misleading at times.Any suggestions or advice?I guess i'm just hoping for hope.
1) Move to the Durham area instead of Raleigh (your will understand why when you finish reading my suggestions)

2) Get an inexpensive apartment for you and you kids (less stress for you)

3) Get the best paying job you can find as a CNA (you will have a much easier time finding a job with CNA cert then someone with a degree in something else, there is always a need for CNA's and there is always a need for nurses and medical fields with the aging population)

4) Get at least an LVN (you can always continue to an RN but this will open you possibilities) and go to work for Duke Medical Center (you may even be able to get a job there right now as a CNA, most hospitals need nurses aides)

5) Talk to your older kids about going to a Community College to begin their college education, this is much cheaper (did this with my daughter) and they can get their AA and then transfer for their junior year. This gives them time to decide what type of career they want. But, and this is key, you want them to attend Duke University, because as an employee at Duke Medical Center, part of your benefits is tuition assitance for your kids (YEAH!!) and probably for you to get your RN (double YEAH!!)

6) And as soon as you can afford it, buy a home for you and your family (there are assistance programs out there to help such as Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and with even decent credit you can get a FHA loan with only 3% down.)

See, you can do it, don't be afraid or let someone tell you that you can't. You are raising FIVE kids on your own, lady, there is NOTHING you can not do!

Good luck!!

Char

Old 09-10-2007, 11:21 AM

Good suggestions.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:00 PM

23 posts, read 64,240 times
I would check out the teen activity ,As in most large city the grangs have made a showing, check in to some of the outling area as hillbough or even . I hope you the best but it will be hard Jobs are not that great here and you will need a car or two to made it work good luck!

Old 09-10-2007, 04:33 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjemerson View Post
I would check out the teen activity ,As in most large city the grangs have made a showing, check in to some of the outling area as hillbough or even . I hope you the best but it will be hard Jobs are not that great here and you will need a car or two to made it work good luck!
There are gangs in the smaller towns as well....don't think that 'small' means without social pressures. Often it's hard to avoid them in small towns then larger cities as well...there are fewer other options and opportunities to take their place.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:17 AM

Yes, meth is out of control in many small towns.

When I grew up in NYC, it was NY and CA that had the drug problems. Now it has moved to the villages who are even less able to deal with it than the big cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary