Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 08:19 AM

560 posts, read 2,849,264 times

Advertisements

Here is a list of tips and tricks for those who are looking to make a move to the Triangle . . .

Don't be narrow minded!! Just because you read about Cary in the paper it doesn't mean it is the only place in the Triangle worth living in, it is a great place to live, but there are other areas worth looking at. IMO you haven't done your due diligence until you have looked at a bare minimum 3 major areas. We spent two years looking at the Fuquay area and ended up in Youngsville, you never know what is available until you open up your mind and look around.

As I have said before, use the Search Feature of this Moderator cut: removed . This will take you straight to the info needed without digging and/or asking the same questions others have.

Take off the rose colored glasses!! Do not ignore the negative feedback you encounter be it from your own observations or others. I was living in a basement apartment and could not buy a house on LI and was very upset by this so anywhere that wasn't LI was looking great to us. It is hard not to think everything is great here because for the most part it is, just be careful not to put the blinders on.

Find a good Realtor, this is sooooo important, I can recommend mine via DM and there are a few on this forum that I would certainly consider. A good Realtor is the key to a successful relocation, be it a re-sale or a new home, don't go it alone, you will most likely be sorry you did.

If you have the funds available get a GPS system for your car!! Spending hours getting lost is not fun when you add it with the stress of moving, trust me.

Don't be afraid to knock on potential neighbor's doors, people are very friendly here and will divulge much needed info if asked nicely.

Do not, and this may be one of the most important tips, I repeat DO NOT expect the Triangle to be like where you are from. This is a recipe for disaster. Move here because you love the area, much like marriage, the Triangle will not change for you after you move here.

Did I mention that you should use the search feature?

If you have school age children visit:

NC School Report Card

If you are looking at lots and/or new homes, or even re-sales use these GIS Mapping tools, all counties have a form of this tool available, it is a great way to learn about a lot before plunking down big $$$:

Franklin County:

Franklin County GIS Mapping Tool (http://www.co.franklin.nc.us/ROK/mapviewer/viewer.htm - broken link)

Wake County:

Wake County GIS Mapping Tool

Johnston County:

Johnston County - GIS

Check out these other fine websites:

RTPLinks.com Local Web Directory. Raleigh, Durham Community Website and Business Directory: Real Estate, Classifieds, Local Events, Shopping, and more.
WRAL.com - Breaking News, News, Weather, Video, Traffic and Sports
abc11tv.com
Moderator cut: url removed
Triangle411.com - Local business directory serving Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary and surrounding areas
Moderator cut: url removed
The Franklin Times

This forum will be your greatest tool, the people that frequent it are great and love sharing information.

Good luck with you move!!

Last edited by autumngal; 04-04-2008 at 06:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 08:33 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Very good advice.

One other tip. Rent for a year before buying if you're not 100% sure where you want to be in the triangle.

What town were you from on LI? I grew up in Oceanside. My wife was in Oceanside, Long Beach, Island Park, and Lawrence (the wrong side of the tracks though).

Lived all over the US - love Raleigh after 18 years.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:58 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,184 times
Quote:
Move here because you love the area, much like marriage, the Triangle will not change for you after you move here.
Although you can almost be certain the Triangle WILL change, just not for you!

Old 08-28-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Very good advice.

One other tip. Rent for a year before buying if you're not 100% sure where you want to be in the triangle.

What town were you from on LI? I grew up in Oceanside. My wife was in Oceanside, Long Beach, Island Park, and Lawrence (the wrong side of the tracks though).

Lived all over the US - love Raleigh after 18 years.
Babylon, LI, NY , then Middle Island, LI, NY then Patchogue, LI, NY and now Youngsville, NC!

Although we bought right away I second the idea of renting for at least six months up to a year before buying, unless you are 100% sure of where you want to be.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:12 AM

3,290 posts, read 9,186,341 times
Quote:
If you have the funds available get a GPS system for your car!! Spending hours getting lost is not fun when you add it with the stress of moving, trust me.
Of course, getting lost with a GPS can help you learn your new home and find things you didn't know existed. I've done it on purpose after I've moved into my new home more times than you know...it's a nice way to find out about the area. My husband and I will just head out and one of us will go..okay which way now? And just decide which bend in the road to take because it looks interesting. Liz

Old 08-28-2007, 09:23 AM

353 posts, read 996,035 times
saturnfan

I grew up in Long Beach (west end)!

Heh, small world!

Old 08-28-2007, 11:12 AM

Yes,

Have just met you and jkmeca11 in this one thread.

Lots of ex LI folks around the Triangle.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Yes,

Have just met you and jkmeca11 in this one thread.

Lots of ex LI folks around the Triangle.
Five on my block alone, including ourselves!!

Old 08-28-2007, 11:30 AM

Maybe I'll franchise a Nathan's Famous.

I worked there all the way through Oceanside HS.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:35 AM

285 posts, read 1,039,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmeca11 View Post
Don't be narrow minded!! Just because you read about Cary in the paper it doesn't mean it is the only place in the Triangle worth living in, it is a great place to live, but there are other areas worth looking at. IMO you haven't done your due diligence until you have looked at a bare minimum 3 major areas. We spent two years looking at the Fuquay area and ended up in Youngsville, you never know what is available until you open up your mind and look around.
Thank you! I am pretty sure that many newcomers are automatically steered towards Cary by web sites, other people- even realtors just seem to assume that all newcomers, especially those from northern states, are going to automatically want to settle in Cary.

Yes, Cary pleases many people. And Cary may be the perfect fit for you. Cary has a lot to offer. But newcomers should see all their options before making a decision. There are some wonderful neighborhoods in the Triangle other than the Cary area, and Cary isn't necessarily for everyone. If you like older neighborhoods, or living within walking distance from a downtown area, or are somewhat "artsy", Cary might not be your thing. If you are looking for a big city feel, Cary won't cut it. If you are looking for a VERY small town, Cary may feel too big and somewhere like Youngsville or Mebane or Holly Springs might work better. I think realtors hear "safe" and "good schools" and hear that as code words for Cary, when, in fact, there are many places that might fit the bill that are both safe and have good schools. It's a pet peeve of mine, because it's almost insulting to Northerners to automatically assume they'll want to live in the city often called the "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees". Maybe they don't want to be "contained".

Also, I wholeheartedly agree with the idea of renting first. The Triangle takes some time to navigate and get to know, as there is no one centrally located downtown. Give it a year or two. Make sure your job situation is settled first. If you automatically jump on the Chapel Hill bandwagon and end up working in Clayton, you'll be hating life, and vice-versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary