Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 06:56 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,180,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jill7930 View Post
Southpoint is the nice area of Durham? Nice if you like lots of shopping I guess, and traffic from the mall.
For some people all they want is a Nordstrom's and access to it. I don't mind if they stick to the malls. Leaves the places I like to go less crowded
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 04:10 PM

520 posts, read 1,019,317 times
One more thing....

You can sign up to get an event calendar e-mailed to you:
Welcome

It comes out each week & says it is for the next two weeks but I find it goes out a bit past that time frame. All types of things listed there.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:49 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,777,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jill7930 View Post
Southpoint is the nice area of Durham? Nice if you like lots of shopping I guess, and traffic from the mall. I would beg to differ about it being the "nice part", as if there were no other nice parts. North Durham is wonderful - less shopping there, but more of a rural feel. And West Durham is a great part of the city, often overlooked. It's close to Duke and downtown, near Duke Forest and close to the Eno, with easy access to I-85 and the Durham Freeway.
Jill, I agree that there are MANY wonderful and even "nice" areas of Durham and the Southpoint area does not have a corner on that market to "nice" by any means. But snarky comments about one part of Durham to boast up another part of Durham just kind of brings us all down. Even when they are in defense of unjustified even bonehead comments posted about Durham. The great thing about Durham is that there is something for everyone. And yes North Durham does have a more rural feel than South Durham. It's mainly because the zoning difference in North Durham. Falls Lake and the geology in North Durham limit the building there. But there are pockets of South Durham that still have a rural feel. I drive by a cow farm and horse farm every day. And there is a lovely blueberry field about a mile around the corner for me. Not to mention, we are on the edge of Chatham Co, which is still very rural and we're minutes to Jordan Lake.

Yes, the traffic around the mall at the holidays is horrific. BUT normally it's not bad other times of the year. And there are back roads to get around which helps. South Durham is has very easy access to Chapel Hill, RTP, and Raleigh, which helps with dual income households who are commuting to these places.

But for the OP, I would recommend looking at North Durham or the n'hoods near the core of Durham (downtown). The closer you get to Butner the less commute time you will have. Lots of options in Durham. I'm glad the OP didn't believe all the bad hype about Durham.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:22 AM

635 posts, read 1,621,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Jill, I agree that there are MANY wonderful and even "nice" areas of Durham and the Southpoint area does not have a corner on that market to "nice" by any means. But snarky comments about one part of Durham to boast up another part of Durham just kind of brings us all down. Even when they are in defense of unjustified even bonehead comments posted about Durham. The great thing about Durham is that there is something for everyone.
Fair enough. I actually wasn't trying to bash South Durham, though I can see how my statements came off otherwise. My inlaws retired to South Durham 3 yrs ago and love it. I was just reacting strongly to the sentiment I see on this Forum often, which is that the Southpoint area is the only safe/good part of Durham and went a bit too far the other way with my response. My apologies!

Old 12-07-2011, 02:14 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,896,887 times
The Southpoint area of Durham is the most "generic", "Wisteria Lane" suburban part of Durham, This is generally considered a positive thing as far as safety and raising children, but someone who likes more "edge" to their life and chose Durham specifically because of Durham's "grittiness", might as well live in Cary or North Raleigh to be in that kind of neighborhood. What makes Durham Durham, as it is known in many arts/cultural circles, are the "funky" shops and restuarants of parts in/near downtown and the eclectic older neighborhoods to the north and west of downtown.

I don't think someone who specifically wanted Durham for its "personality" would find SW Durham/Southpoint a logical area for that reason, but statistically it is probably the most "pleasant" by some definitions (especially for those with children or who like malls).

(When they decide to give an award for the most quotation marks in one post, I'll be all set!)

Old 12-07-2011, 06:02 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,777,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The Southpoint area of Durham is the most "generic", "Wisteria Lane" suburban part of Durham, This is generally considered a positive thing as far as safety and raising children, but someone who likes more "edge" to their life and chose Durham specifically because of Durham's "grittiness", might as well live in Cary or North Raleigh to be in that kind of neighborhood.
LOL. Francois have you watched Desperate Housewives? If you have then you know Wisteria Lane is has plenty of edge... not the gritty edge you are referring to. But a saucy edge none the less. And for the record, I have never been offered a welcome basket of muffins, nor have I ever brought a new neighbor a welcome basket of muffins. Brownies yes. Muffins no.

But I agree that I think the OP is looking for a different n'hood than South Durham.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:34 PM

773 posts, read 505,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
Sigh.
Nothing incorrect about what they posted from a point of view, so the sigh seems odd. People who like downtown will most likely not like the Southpoint area as much. People who like the Southpoint area will most likely not like the downtown area as much. Your mileage may vary. They are two completely different animals, marketing to different consumers. I never understand why it bothers anyone if someone doesn't like the area they like. It's all opinion and different tastes. I like broccoli and Joe thinks it tastes awful. Who is right?

Old 12-07-2011, 10:04 PM

22 posts, read 47,587 times
We just moved to Durham (Oct 2011) from Florida and looked at all areas around here before deciding. We used a lot of web tools to help, City-data, Google Earth, Neighborhoodscout, all the real estate sites, etc. We spent some time getting to know all the towns and we did come for a visit. We got to spend time here talking with people, visited neighborhoods and found a curious thing...everyone takes a real ownership of their own town/neighborhood and seem to down talk the others a bit. It's kind of funny once you get to know about it. It seems everyone has "something" to say about Cary. Frankly we just love this whole area (yes even Cary.) However we did pick Durham and we are so happy here. Its central to everything and everywhere. The people are perhaps the most friendly I have ever met anywhere in the country and I have lived in all four corners of the USA. Downtown Durham is safe, there is a great urban feel to it, of course as others mentioned, you do have to use common sense as you would in any city. It's in much better shape than a lot of towns we have seen in recent days due to the real estate crisis and job slump. There are empty stores & buildings, but show me a downtown that doesn't right now. There are so many aspects of this area that are appealing, clean air / water, nice weather, but it turns out it's the people that makes it really special. When a real recovery starts, you can bet this area is in a great position to be prime.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:12 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,190,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digartz View Post
We just moved to Durham (Oct 2011) from Florida and looked at all areas around here before deciding. We used a lot of web tools to help, City-data, Google Earth, Neighborhoodscout, all the real estate sites, etc. We spent some time getting to know all the towns and we did come for a visit. We got to spend time here talking with people, visited neighborhoods and found a curious thing...everyone takes a real ownership of their own town/neighborhood and seem to down talk the others a bit. It's kind of funny once you get to know about it. It seems everyone has "something" to say about Cary. Frankly we just love this whole area (yes even Cary.) However we did pick Durham and we are so happy here. Its central to everything and everywhere. The people are perhaps the most friendly I have ever met anywhere in the country and I have lived in all four corners of the USA. Downtown Durham is safe, there is a great urban feel to it, of course as others mentioned, you do have to use common sense as you would in any city. It's in much better shape than a lot of towns we have seen in recent days due to the real estate crisis and job slump. There are empty stores & buildings, but show me a downtown that doesn't right now. There are so many aspects of this area that are appealing, clean air / water, nice weather, but it turns out it's the people that makes it really special. When a real recovery starts, you can bet this area is in a great position to be prime.
Glad you like it!

Old 12-09-2011, 05:36 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,894,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate05 View Post
There are some nicer safer parts of durham (closer to RTP) but there are other parts of durham I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. I work in RTP. Some areas around here are nice.. I guess it would be considered southern durham/ morrisville area. Southpoint is the nice area of durham.

There are parts of durham downtown that I don't even want to drive through. Must be the slums of durham. I'll admit it has put a sour taste in my mouth for durham in general. I wouldn't feel safe in downtown but closer to RTP is perfectly fine. Alot to do there... i'd consider it urban but its in the more suburban parts of durham. So keep in mind the suburban areas... you won't know what you like until you visit.
Please don't perpetuate old myth's or outdated information. How much time do you actually spend it Durham to speak with such certainty and authority?

I have worked in Durham since late '90's and love it there. While I have family obligations which keep me from moving there, I certainly would do so if I could. I find Durham to be a very unique place with a broad spectrum of residents that add flavor to the city. I find is rather eclectic. There are numerous Artists, techies, entrepreneurs there. I think it's the place to watch! I also find Durham drivers less aggressive/rude than in Raleigh where I lived for 35+ yrs. I actually see people use turn signals And let's face it, most towns and cities have areas that are less desirable or unsafe...Durham is no different than any other triangle town in this respect. The city council and police dept there have worked hard for many years to clean up the (formerly) rough areas. Just as Raleigh has done with some of its same type areas. I urge you to take a guided tour offered by the Convention and Visitors Bureau or similar. You will be stunned at what you hear about what's going on there..... Durham is such a unique city with much to offer. I dismay when I hear comments like yours as they clearly come from lack of true understanding of the subject. It sounds like you've driven thru it a few times and have shared your conclusions based on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary