Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2021, 01:52 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,545,429 times

Advertisements

Very close to the Weston Pkwy MetLife complex that is being partially renovated for a temporary Apple location:

Bainbridge Apartments
https://www.bainbridgecary.com/
9263 Chapel Hill Rd.
NW Corner of Maynard & 54
Acreage: 14.66
Aug. 1, 2021 sale: $5,350,000.00
source: Interactive Active Development Map

Drove by it today...lots of trees being cleared!

Not to be confused with Morrisville's: https://bainbridgeaviationcrossing.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2021, 02:53 PM

9,146 posts, read 14,773,090 times
Keeping in mind this specific project was approved in 2017 and a similar but different approval for apartments on this site was applied for and granted in 2007, before the great recession.

Bainbridge Companies has lots of projects in lots of places up the east coast and in texas.

Old 10-04-2021, 06:42 PM

125 posts, read 106,156 times
I hate seeing how many trees they cut down for this project. It completely changes the look of the intersection, and not for the better.

I have additional thoughts on the matter regarding rentals, but I'll reserve those for another time.

Old 10-05-2021, 04:06 AM

812 posts, read 832,658 times
The days of building SFHs in Cary are, for the most part, over; Cary is out of room! Mostly infill and redevelopment now... in "pocket areas". Sure there can be some "pocket neighborhoods" with a few SFHs (take the one on Pleasant St in DT Cary across from Cary Elementary as an example); but, these are going to be very few and far between. Of course, there will always be tear downs -plenty of that going on in DT Cary too (1950s-60s 1000 sqft brick ranches knocked down for a new build). Other than that, Cary is set for high density projects (apartments, condos, and don't forget senior living).

In theory this is good because it keeps the population growing and increases the tax base so should help keep taxes lower per individual. Also, in theory, it is good because it should make for more "affordable housing". I put this in quotes because of the monthly rates on some of these places...not so affordable..... easily more than some mortgage payments; I guess it is "affordable" because you don't need the down payment.

My concern is about the schools. For this particular project, on corner of 54 and Maynard, the base Northwoods Elementary is already capped -and they just added some of those lovely trailers... sorry... "modular classrooms". Where are these kids going to go to school? Also, families in apartments tend to be more transient and this is not always the best for the stability of the schools.

Old 10-05-2021, 05:34 AM

9,146 posts, read 14,773,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
The days of building SFHs in Cary are, for the most part, over; Cary is out of room! Mostly infill and redevelopment now... in "pocket areas". Sure there can be some "pocket neighborhoods" with a few SFHs (take the one on Pleasant St in DT Cary across from Cary Elementary as an example); but, these are going to be very few and far between. Of course, there will always be tear downs -plenty of that going on in DT Cary too (1950s-60s 1000 sqft brick ranches knocked down for a new build). Other than that, Cary is set for high density projects (apartments, condos, and don't forget senior living).

In theory this is good because it keeps the population growing and increases the tax base so should help keep taxes lower per individual. Also, in theory, it is good because it should make for more "affordable housing". I put this in quotes because of the monthly rates on some of these places...not so affordable..... easily more than some mortgage payments; I guess it is "affordable" because you don't need the down payment.

My concern is about the schools. For this particular project, on corner of 54 and Maynard, the base Northwoods Elementary is already capped -and they just added some of those lovely trailers... sorry... "modular classrooms". Where are these kids going to go to school? Also, families in apartments tend to be more transient and this is not always the best for the stability of the schools.
I guess the school system could have seen this being approved in 2007 and done something about it in the last 13-14 years. Also, apartments have comparatively fewer school aged children per adult resident as people in this area generally move to SFH once their kids get older.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:00 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,545,429 times
And, this is almost walking distance away from Bainbridge:

source: https://carycitizen.news/2021/09/13/...ghborhood-6-1/

130 townhouses

430 multi-family

Old 10-05-2021, 07:18 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I guess the school system could have seen this being approved in 2007 and done something about it in the last 13-14 years. Also, apartments have comparatively fewer school aged children per adult resident as people in this area generally move to SFH once their kids get older.
Yeah apartments don't really produce as many students as people think, unless they're in one of the "OMG I have to send my kids to THESE schools" areas, where people will rent an apartment to get into the school while they look for a house in that assignment zone.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:38 AM

43,313 posts, read 77,154,614 times
I would be curious to see a breakdown on how many schoolkids living in apartments use WCPSS, vs. the school tax revenues from apartment complexes.

Years ago, I pointed out to Long Lost But Not Forgotten Saturnfan that his typical school tax burden for his rental apartment was a fraction of that from an average single family home. That his personal contribution, implied from tax records, for his 4 kids in WCPSS was tiny.

That wasn't hard to do, but I am curious about the tax revenues vs. school attendance for whole complexes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary