Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 12:25 PM

240 posts, read 627,543 times

Advertisements

Ok, my wife and I are approx. 4-5 weeks out from having our first child. We will be delivering at WakeMed Raleigh. I wanted to reach out to people more experienced at this than I. What do I need to bring to the hospital? I know my wife will need changes of clothes, things to read, etc. What else? What were you glad you had or wish you would have had with you at the hospital? Anything you recommend is appreciated. Don't take for granted that I know anything.

We are very excited about our little boy. I just want to make sure I am as prepared as possible for the delivery. I know you're never fully prepared to be a parent but I'll handle that as it comes.

Thanks to all for any advice.

Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 01:00 PM

351 posts, read 632,438 times
Congratulations.

I would think the usual stuff regarding clothes. But make sure you have a properly installed car seat. They won't let the baby leave the hospital without one.

I was born there 45 years ago. I remember it like it was yesterday.

My sons were born there 17 and eleven years ago. Great things start there.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:20 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
Word of caution. I packed an overnight bag for myself not knowing how long my wife would be in labor. It was FILLED with beef jerky. To keep up my strength, you know . Anyway, I started to open the first package and was met with a "You have to be kidding me!" from my wife. I guess the smell for non-jerky lovers is a bit too much. So, uhm, yeah... maybe trail mix next time.

Bring a battery charger for your phone/camera. Some drinks for yourself, change of clothes if you stay the night. The nurse station will see to your wife's needs.

Take any parenting classes that you can get into. Kids don't come with owners manuals. Congratulations, life changes but in a very good way.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:36 PM

305 posts, read 760,850 times
Not necessarily specific to WakeMed Raleigh, but you'll want a change of clothes for both of you, toiletries for both of you, your favorite phones/gadgets (iPad, camera, etc) plus chargers, insurance cards and other paperwork, snacks (note: some hospitals get all itchy about laboring women eating solid food in case they need emergency anesthesia -- recent research is saying they really don't need to restrict eating, but just in case you get a stickler for a nurse, bring something like honey sticks so she can get some liquid energy while she labors). You may want to bring your swim trunks in case she would like to labor in the shower or tub, so you can get in and help her. If you're packing your wife's clothes for her, pack her something that is roomy and comfortable, like something she wore in 2nd trimester. She won't need the big 3rd trimester clothes once the baby is born, but she won't be back in her prepregnancy clothes yet, either. If she's going to be nursing, bring nursing bras (I'd recommend the Medela sleep bras for those first couple of days.) For the baby, bring an outfit to go home in -- I'd recommend bringing two outfits: one size Newborn and the other size 0-3 months, since it's hard to predict how big the little guy will come out. And as the pp mentioned, bring your carseat.

Best of luck and congrats!

Old 12-05-2011, 02:02 PM

286 posts, read 685,142 times
Take a jacket for you and if you tend to get cold at all, take a blanket so you can wrap up in it while your wife naps/sleeps. Hospital blankets are ok but you may still get cold and you may be miserable. My brother froze while his wife labored and when she slept after delivery he really wished for a blanket from home.

My short list in bullet point would be:
  • blanket/jacket
  • iPod/iPad/laptop/electronics to entertain yourself
  • snacks for you and for her right after delivery (she may have a request). The tip to keep snacks non-smelly was fantastic and oh so true....
  • chargers for said electronics
  • book/magazines if you like to read so you can sit quietly while she rests
  • camera with extra batteries/charger
  • notebook/paper journal-you may want to write stuff down to put in the baby book later or even write down any names of staff members who really go above and beyond so you can remember them later. You may get a survey about your experience and the staff would truly love to be mentioned by name for their hard work if they deserve it.
  • toiletries for yourself=don't forget toothbrush and toothpaste, esp. You will be awfully close to her face helping her concentrate or breathe and the breath thing may be more pronounced with her hormones going strong.
  • Comfy pajama pants. Sleeping in jeans sucks.
I think that's a decent list. Congrats on the baby!!!

Old 12-05-2011, 02:02 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
If a natural delivery, bring something for your wife to focus on as she breathes. (Ask her beforehand, of course.) My sister chose a flower in a bud vase that she put on a tray in front of her. It helped her 17 years ago during a very difficult delivery. I was there along with her husband. I wept through the whole thing (not very helpful!), but everyone else did great. My sister never cried out whatsoever. She said the flower helped, and she didn't want me to think she couldn't handle it. Sibling competitiveness at work.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:18 PM

240 posts, read 627,543 times
All very helpful points. It will not be a natural delivery. What classes if any do you recommend?

Old 12-05-2011, 02:28 PM

932 posts, read 3,096,607 times
You've gotten some great advice. I've had a baby at Rex and one at Wake Med. Both were good experiences. I brought a pillow from home, with a bright pink case so they knew it was mine. I ended up having a c-section and it felt better to press a pillow on my abdomen when I got up. We took a birthing class with our first son...to help get me in my happy place during labor. I planned on a natural birth and an epidural if I needed it. The relaxation breathing techniques ended up helping during my c-section. Even though it wasn't an emergency c-section, it was stressful and the breathing helped. Baby gowns are the best things in the world. It's so much easier to change a diaper with a baby in a gown. A nice gift for your wife would be really sweet. Something simple, to say "I love you." Congratulations!

Old 12-05-2011, 03:26 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Quote:
But make sure you have a properly installed car seat.
This! Be sure to have the seat or mount inspected for proper installation. Do it now. Don't wait until the day your son decides it's time to enter the world. Very few people think about having a seat inspected. Most of the few who have their installation inspected find out it's installed incorrectly.

http://www.buckleupnc.org (http://www.buckleupnc.org/findcounty2.cfm - broken link)

Old 12-05-2011, 03:40 PM

932 posts, read 3,096,607 times
Not sure about WakeMed, but Rex has someone there that will show you how to install it properly and inspect it before you leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary