Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 12:46 PM

6 posts, read 14,290 times

Advertisements

I just started using the ATT and really love it, have been going on the areas that go through west Cary, always with a friend both walking and running. I would love to go more often but it would mean going alone. Aside from the recent flasher, is it generally a safe place for an older woman to go by herself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 01:21 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,152,532 times
I guess for me personally as a woman, I always jog where I know there's lots of witnesses if that makes sense. I feel like anyone who would be up to no good is less likely to do it in an area with lots of people than in a secluded, wooded area.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:21 PM

79 posts, read 94,148 times
Have you considered getting a concealed carry permit? Or maybe taking a marksmanship class? I don't know the area, but I can tell you that despite not feeling threatened in my area, I concealed carry as a matter of personal safety. I by no means live in a bad area, never had to use my gun, hope I never do, but it is certainly peace of mind. I also really like marksmanship, it's a fun hobby.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:23 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjob80 View Post
...is it generally a safe place for an older woman to go by herself?
Call me paranoid, but I think you're always safer with a buddy, male, female, young or old, just about anywhere you go.

That particular area isn't far from the highest crime rate area in Durham.

Full disclosure; I have never been on it. It looks really neat, and it's something I've been meaning to check out. That said, I have not heard anything about violent crimes, assaults or even harassment beyond the flasher. The Tobacco Campus has always done a great job of keeping a visible security presence, and I'm pretty sure that's one of the anchor points of the trail, isn't it?

Old 12-05-2011, 02:50 PM

523 posts, read 1,326,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
Call me paranoid, but I think you're always safer with a buddy, male, female, young or old, just about anywhere you go.

That particular area isn't far from the highest crime rate area in Durham.

Full disclosure; I have never been on it. It looks really neat, and it's something I've been meaning to check out. That said, I have not heard anything about violent crimes, assaults or even harassment beyond the flasher. The Tobacco Campus has always done a great job of keeping a visible security presence, and I'm pretty sure that's one of the anchor points of the trail, isn't it?
I totally agree with the first point, but the stretch of the ATT that I think the OP is talking about (south of O'Kelly Chapel Rd.?) is at least 10 miles via the trail from any areas in Durham that would be considered more at risk for crime, by my calculation:

American Tobacco Trail

You're right about the lack of reported crime on the trail, though. I use the downtown Durham to Southpoint segment frequently for biking and have never had a problem, even in parts that go through the sketchier areas. The recent flashing incidents seem to be way out of the norm.

Last edited by lb27608; 12-05-2011 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: Corrected street name

Old 12-05-2011, 03:12 PM

334 posts, read 867,330 times
Be careful there maybe more diversity than you can appreciate.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:23 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,677,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdanville View Post
Be careful there maybe more diversity than you can appreciate.
What does that even mean? Diversity = Crime?

Old 12-06-2011, 11:03 AM

305 posts, read 760,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lb27608 View Post
I totally agree with the first point, but the stretch of the ATT that I think the OP is talking about (south of O'Kelly Chapel Rd.?) is at least 10 miles via the trail from any areas in Durham that would be considered more at risk for crime, by my calculation:

American Tobacco Trail

You're right about the lack of reported crime on the trail, though. I use the downtown Durham to Southpoint segment frequently for biking and have never had a problem, even in parts that go through the sketchier areas. The recent flashing incidents seem to be way out of the norm.
+1 that the Wake Co section of the trail is quite far from any high-crime area. I personally don't feel unsafe on the trail and have ridden pretty much every section of the trail alone at one point or another. (I occasionally bike-commute the Durham section to work.) That being said, it's always safest to go with a buddy on the trail. I'd personally worry less about crime than twisting an ankle, etc., but in any case the buddy system is always best.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:14 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lb27608 View Post
...but the stretch of the ATT that I think the OP is talking about (south of O'Kelly Chapel Rd.?) is at least 10 miles via the trail from any areas in Durham that would be considered more at risk for crime, by my calculation:
Oh wow, you're right. I had no idea it was that big. Very cool.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:40 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,895 times
Other accounts are correct, this is a fairly rural area of the trail, far from Durham, but also far from the crowds that might bring security.

If you were my sister, daughter, or mother, I'd be comfortable with you walking it on a nice, sunny weekend day, no less than an hour after sunrise or an hour before sunset, as those times, any place on the trail will have many users, but I would not encourage you to go on a weekday, or on a drizzly day, or near the set/rise of the sun, or any other time when you'd be more alone.

And FWIW, there have been reports of muggings on several sections of the trail. Very (!) rare, but not unheard of. Why take a chance? Go when it's going to be crowded, or go with a friend would be my advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary