Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 09:25 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
PDXMom, I want to live in your neighborhood. Where is it? I like areas with "real" people, no Jones', and a mix of SAHMs and WMs.
How sweet of you!! We live in South Durham not far from Southpoint Mall. We're off of Herndon Rd. But I've found most of the subdivisions around South Durham / Southpoint to be a good mix of real people, no Jones, and a great mix of SAHMs and WMs. We even have a far amount of Dads who are able to work from home at least some of the days of the week.

There might be a house going up for sale in my n'hood in January. If so I'll keep you posted.

Good luck with the search. Don't give up hope. But I do imagine there will be more housing stock after January.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 09:31 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2CARY View Post

I won't bother looking for food suggestions, as I've already conceded that I should have low expectations and not compare it to NOLA.
Having moved here from a foodie city (Portland, OR) I understand your concern. But you will find pockets of good, quality, local restaurants all over The Triangle. The problem I encounter the most is that there isn't the density that you get in places like NOLA. So you might have to drive 30 mins plus if you are craving something in particular. But Downtown Durham, Chapel Hill/ Franklin St. / and the downtown Raleigh area have good local restaurants, many of who support a farm to table approach. And while NC Seafood does vary from Gulf Seafood, it can still be quite good.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:14 PM

251 posts, read 515,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitri1000 View Post
I want to sincerely apologize for offending any stay at home moms out there. I am speaking a bit from experience because where I live, we have the only house not decorated for the holidays because I am not home enough to do it. I am the only mom who does not pick up her daughter from kindergarten and have shed many a tear over " why can't you ever pick me up like all the other moms" comments. I have been unable to host any neighborhood happy hours, picnics, etc., or even contribute because I do not have the time. I often go for days without seeing any of my children. We are trying to move so that I will actually not have to work so much so I get to see my kids grow up. I know that being a stay at home mom is a full time job in itself (I pay *a lot* for other people to do all my mom stuff so I appreciate that!). I just think that people with similar lifestyles tend to bond over that and I hope to live in an area where some other moms are working full time, have nannies, use daycare, etc., so my kids will know that other moms do that too.

Ok enough of that. I appreciate the comments so far and will definitely check out these areas.
Thanks!

I used to get those comments from my son about not volunteering but I am a SAHM. I have 3 children, one of them autistic and was always dealing with therapy for him. Now he's in all day preschool and his twin sister is in school 3 days a week. My oldest is in first grade. We live in Apex and love it. Our neighborhood is new and the houses are on an acre or more and they are not cookie cutter and have trees. We don't have a pool in our neighborhood but we do have a fun mix of moms. Those of us who do stay home do not have time to be Martha Stewart because our husbands work all the time and our children are young and we are busy. We like to drink wine on the patio and whine a lot. I hope you find what you're looking for here. I was born and raised in Mississippi and my mom is from NC. I spent time here as a child albeit not in Raleigh but love NC because my husband and I moved to the DC suburbs and lived there for 9 years. It was crazy and I hated every minute of it. We got the opportunity to move here and we haven't looked back and it's been almost 3 years. Good luck!

Old 12-08-2011, 04:22 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I have to admit, after all the sordid tales that came out of Lochmere during the Brad Cooper murder trial, it struck me as a very gossipy neighborhood.
I think it is safe to say that ANY neighborhood will become "gossipy" once the trial for a murder that happened there becomes national and all the prying TV reporters and cameras start coming around.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:23 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I think it is safe to say that ANY neighborhood will become "gossipy" once the trial for a murder that happened there becomes national and all the prying TV reporters and cameras start coming around.
It wasn't so much that. It was "Well she cheated on her husband with this guy, and he was also cheating on his wife with this other chick," etc. It was very Desperate Housewives. I was quite shocked at how much hearsay was allowed in that trial to be honest.

I guess everyone in my neighborhood could be sleeping with each other and I'm being left out of the loop!

Old 12-14-2011, 02:10 PM

84 posts, read 147,958 times
You'll love it in Cary, N. Raleigh, parts of Apex near Cary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary