Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 05:22 PM

4 posts, read 8,886 times

Advertisements

I am an experienced RN (almost 13 years) looking to relocate to the Raleigh/Cary area in the near future with my family... I was just wondering if anyone can give me an idea of how much RN's are getting paid in this area. I would be relocating from Charleston, SC. I have experience in med/surg, OR, and home care... Ideally, I would love to do home health since that is basically what I have been doing for the past 6 and 1/2 years... any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 07:33 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,540 times
I am not an RN and can't tell you compared to your current town, but my sister lives in VA and looked here, and there's tight competition and comparatively low pay. Housing here is a bit higher, as well. I'm not sure why the pay wasn't good compared to her current pay rate, but she said Duke and UNC seemed to be especially low paying. She's a BSN now, working on her Master's to be a nurse practitioner.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:58 PM

441 posts, read 1,291,336 times
My wife is a RN and when we moved here in 05 she started @ 21.00 plus diff. At duke with 10 years ICU behind her. She no longer is working in the hospitals and is now in the private sector, much better pay and weekend / holidays off.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:12 PM

4 posts, read 8,886 times
i am sorry, but i don't know what you mean when you said "private sector"... thanks... sounds great!

Old 12-05-2011, 08:46 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merber View Post
i am sorry, but i don't know what you mean when you said "private sector"... thanks... sounds great!
Here's a good definition:

Private Sector Definition

I think when most people say "private sector," they mean corporations versus service-oriented businesses such as hospitals or schools.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:08 AM

441 posts, read 1,291,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Here's a good definition:

Private Sector Definition

I think when most people say "private sector," they mean corporations versus service-oriented businesses such as hospitals or schools.
Yes this is correct, she works for a disease management company

Old 12-06-2011, 10:02 AM

286 posts, read 685,142 times
There may not be a lot of difference in pay from SC to NC. There was a huge difference for me coming from Texas. Also keep in mind that there are a ton of nursing schools here who crank out RNs so the job market for nurses may not be what you are expecting. Get a good resume together and throw it out there as much as you can. Good luck!! I've known other nurses who had a hard time getting a job (at least 7 months) but I was able to land one fairly easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary