Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 03:43 AM

63 posts, read 137,117 times

Advertisements

Presently we rent a very decent apartment in North Raleigh (close to W.F. line). We have a short term, 3 month lease, but then can stay month by month thereafter if necessary - but the complex is fairly expensive.

We have been pre-approved by a government agency to buy a home in Wake County up to $160,100. with taxes not to exceed about $1800./mo. As I am retired, and live on a fixed government income (eligibility for loan program based on my figures), we have heard recommendations from several sources stating that Clayton in Johnston County would be the best town/city to target in our search for a nice, single story ranch style home. We are from Boston and although the traffic in Boston is dramatically heavier in volume than in W.F. or Raleigh, we wouldn't miss the traffic around here. A less hectic location would be desireable to us.

We seek a newer home, built in 2002 or newer preferred, but would consider older homes that have been nicely maintained with certain upgrades. BTW, the particular government lender (USDA) whose program we are using has a maximum approval in Johnston County of $152,700. Accessible attic space is desired, perhaps with expansion potential in the future, but not essential.
We do have a child in elementary school and have heard the praise of the schools in W.F; but, we also hear very positive reports about the schools in Clayton. A community pool would be quite a plus.

I/we see quite a few potential candidate homes in Clayton sitting on the market that seem to fit our needs and price limit. Mostly due to economic reality in Wake Forest, I know our monthly total of PITI should be less costly in Clayton. Taxes are higher in W.F. And to me at least, this is the time to buy.

My wife has a part time job at a restaurant in W.F., but IMO she can find similar employment in Johnston County. Plus, she has other skills that can lead to employment, but not high tech! She is a chef/cook (Thai + Asian-fusion); but, she may want to work (or open her own business) in the beauty (hair cutting and styling business); but, just's under consideration.

We would love to hear from folks who reside in Clayton, have lived there, or like us, are considering a move there. We are interested in hearing more about the schools, available shopping (food + varied retail). How long of a drive say from downtown Clayton is it to the acclaimed Outlet shopping mall(s) in Smithfield?

As I have medical concerns, how long would it take say to get to the hospital(s) in Raleigh associated with UNC (REX?) and Duke Medical Center
in Raleigh from Clayton. Which local hospital is considered to be the best?

Any restaurant recommendations would be appreciated. Is there good pizza in or near Clayton like Dominic's New York style pizza that can be found in Triangle mall in Raleigh? Dominic is from NYC and his pizza is excellent! Out of curiosity, how long would it take to drive to Triangle mall from Clayton?
My wife loves Macy's ... any Macy stores closer to Clayton than Triangle Mall?

If anyone knows the status about the Rt. 540 loop being completed, I'd be interested in knowing a time frame for completion. When finished how will this enhance Clayton's location, if at all? My understanding is that completion is ready to move forward. The thing delaying this is the bickering over whether or not to make it a toll road. As I won't be commuting on 540, it's not a concern for us.

Any and all feedback, your thoughts, information, advice, etc. would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks again to all the highly dedicated members of this valuable forum who take the time to offer meaningful advice, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 01:34 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,983,517 times
Hi!
Well, I'm actually a NC native. Raised most of my life in Raleigh, lived a short time in Apex, but fully settled now in Clayton. My family and I actually moved to Clayton in 2007 because of the affordable costs, the excellent schools and for the community in general. I swear, people in Clayton are just NICE! We love it!

To answer you questions:
How long of a drive say from downtown Clayton is it to the acclaimed Outlet shopping mall(s) in Smithfield?
About 20 minutes. Traffic is never really bad until you get close to the actual outlets. I suggest avoid the area until after the holidays.

As I have medical concerns, how long would it take say to get to the hospital(s) in Raleigh associated with UNC (REX?) and Duke Medical Center
in Raleigh from Clayton. Which local hospital is considered to be the best? About 20-25 minutes to Duke Medical Center on Falls, and about 30-35 minutes to Rex if even that. There is a decent "emergency" center on 42 in Clayton near I-40 (we call that area, 40/42) that is nice. There's also Johnston Memoral Hospital in Smithfield that's about 20 minutes from Clayton.

Any restaurant recommendations would be appreciated. Is there good pizza in or near Clayton like Dominic's New York style pizza that can be found in Triangle mall in Raleigh? Dominic is from NYC and his pizza is excellent!
Now I must try Dominics! In Clayton, we have Venero's Pizzeria (which if I'm not mistaken, they are from New York), a really good Italian restaurant called "Mulberry on Main" which is really good, a really good steak house called "Clayton Steakhouse" that has superb service. There's another new quick pizza place also on Main street (thats in downtown Clayton) but I completely forgot what it was called. They also have really good pizza!

Out of curiosity, how long would it take to drive to Triangle mall from Clayton? About 20-25 minutes.
Nope, that's the only one near us! Unfortunately...

I really don't know about the 540 loop either.

I suggest coming out to visit Clayton! Come down on the weekend, walk around downtown and simply talk to folks. Everyone is really friendly, and alot of people are transplants too. Drive around a few neighborhoods, check out the area. Have lunch or dinner at McCalls (seafood and bbq). Alot of people chat with the folks at the table next to them. Have coffee at the Flipside in downtown Clayton. We have ALOT of community events in downtown Clayton, just this past weekend, we closed down Main Street and had our Christmas tree lighting. That was alot of fun and I met alot of new folks too. It's a very family friendly area, great place to raise kids and just an overall nice area.

I'm not too family with Wake Forest so I really can't compare much to it. I remember when Wake Forest got their first street light and Hardees, lol. Now if I go through there, I would be LOST! I have heard great things about it, but all I can offer up is my opinion on Clayton.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-06-2011, 02:26 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,239,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Organator View Post
There are Macy's at Cary Town Center and Crabtree Valley Mall. I live in Clayton and I can get to both of these faster than Triangle Mall.
Clayton is a great place to live and raise a family. School systen is great.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:43 PM

Excellent reply ferrickhead28. Thank you very much & I appreciate your efforts.
We should be visiting Clayton on Thursday with a realtor we are working with, She's
from Wake Forest and has sold homes in Clayton. The director of the loan program
we are using is very keen on Clayton. It certainly has a reputation as a very friendly
town; and, from scouring Realtor.com, Trulia, etc., it seems like buyers get so much
more for their money in Clayton. For us, now is the right time to buy. Total PITI
should be considerably cheaper than what we're presently paying for rent. I am excited!
Thanks again.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:44 PM

Thank you too as well ferrickhead28. Truth be told, I've not heard a single negative comment about Clayton!

Old 12-14-2011, 02:00 PM

84 posts, read 147,949 times
Clayton is ok. A bit on the blue-collar end of things, but hey, what can ya do.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:20 PM

773 posts, read 503,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankInEurope View Post
What's wrong with blue-collar people?

Old 12-16-2011, 08:53 AM

606 posts, read 730,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankInEurope View Post
If you prefer white-collar you can always over spend and live with the "high class" folks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary