Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 03:47 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times

Advertisements

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but what exactly do people mean when they ask if certain neighborhoods are "Family Friendly"? How is family friendliness measured?

If you want to learn about how safe an area is you can check crime statistics to judge that, if you want to know if the schools in a particular area are good you can check published test scores and tour the schools, but by what ruler is family friendliness measured?

I think that in almost any neighborhood in the Triangle whether it be a new subdivision or an older historic neighborhood you will have a mix of married couples with kids, married couples without kids, singles with no children, and single or divorced parents and so on. I have yet to drive through a neighborhood that is solely inhabited by single childless people who abhor families.

I know there are certain areas of every metro area that suffer from stigmas or are not considered as safe as others because of crime, but aside from those areas, what would be considered a good example of an area in the Triangle not welcoming to families? I can't think of one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 03:50 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but what exactly do people mean when they ask if certain neighborhoods are "Family Friendly"? How is family friendliness measured?

If you want to learn about how safe an area is you can check crime statistics to judge that, if you want to know if the schools in a particular area are good you can check published test scores and tour the schools, but by what ruler is family friendliness measured?

I think that in almost any neighborhood in the Triangle whether it be a new subdivision or an older historic neighborhood you will have a mix of married couples with kids, married couples without kids, singles with no children, and single or divorced parents and so on. I have yet to drive through a neighborhood that is solely inhabited by single childless people who abhor families.

I know there are certain areas of every metro area that suffer from stigmas or are not considered as safe as others because of crime, but aside from those areas, what would be considered a good example of an area in the Triangle not welcoming to families? I can't think of one.
I love this post...because I don't get it either....and I am a parent. I guess maybe some parents pick their home based on how many other kids are around?

Old 03-29-2007, 03:52 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,188 times
good point, while researching for a home, I wanted to make sure I would fit in as a single professional without kids...I think couples with children would be a great fit for a neighborhood...The only thing that comes to mind is that if a neighborhood is friendly, meaning people talk to one another, watch out for one another, and not just a hello or goodbye when you see one another...I hope my neighborhood is friendly, but I can't think of a way to measure that while previewing homes...or if it's a brand new neighborhood, which is my case, how would one measure the friendliness of the neighborhood?

Old 03-29-2007, 04:26 PM

374 posts, read 1,598,708 times
some neighborhoods in my state (IL) are for "adults only", meaning they are more for seniors or empty nesters. Some oare on golf courses and almost all of them have ranch style homes or 1st floor master bedrooms. THey are not very "family friendly" in that there are mostly people that live there with out kids running around. In fact I think they exclude kids. When i asked once about a neighborhood being FF i meant was this one of those emptynester type golf communities.

It does sound weird, cuz those people have families too...LOL. I guess i think i meant Kid friendly..(eg has parks, has playmates, etc)

Old 03-29-2007, 04:27 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
When I think of a neighborhood thats considered "family friendly", I think that the homes have more bedrooms for the kids, backyards are a bit larger for the kids and most of the neighbors have kids. Therefore, that one guy who is always manicuring his yard can't complain if your kid walks on his grass!

Also...having a pool and tot lots in the neighborhood make it "kid friendly".

But then...thats my interpretation!

Vicki

Old 03-29-2007, 04:35 PM

653 posts, read 2,987,172 times
Actually, "family-friendly" is also dangerous territory for a realtor. Fair housing laws prohibit us from discussing it, just as it's illegal to discuss the racial demographics of a neighborhood. Familial status is a protected class (race, color, religion, sex, familial status, or national origin).

As Vicki said, if you ask for a neighborhood with a park, a pool, and large backyards... that I can do! If you ask me how many kids live on the street, even if I knew, I couldn't tell you.

I think people who say they want a family friendly neigborhood just don't want to be surrounded by the stereotypical, antisocial neighbors screaming "Hey, young feller, get off my lawn! You're trampling my petunias!" They want their kids to be able to play in the street and not have neighbors who will run them down with their cars rather than slow down. And yes, they want their kids to have other kids to play with. At least, that's what we wanted for our young family.

In that respect, though, you'll have to do your own research and decide if you feel that a neighborhood is right for you.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:54 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHomeFinder View Post
Actually, "family-friendly" is also dangerous territory for a realtor. Fair housing laws prohibit us from discussing it, just as it's illegal to discuss the racial demographics of a neighborhood. Familial status is a protected class (race, color, religion, sex, familial status, or national origin).

As Vicki said, if you ask for a neighborhood with a park, a pool, and large backyards... that I can do! If you ask me how many kids live on the street, even if I knew, I couldn't tell you.

I think people who say they want a family friendly neigborhood just don't want to be surrounded by the stereotypical, antisocial neighbors screaming "Hey, young feller, get off my lawn! You're trampling my petunias!" They want their kids to be able to play in the street and not have neighbors who will run them down with their cars rather than slow down. And yes, they want their kids to have other kids to play with. At least, that's what we wanted for our young family.

In that respect, though, you'll have to do your own research and decide if you feel that a neighborhood is right for you.
Rebekah knows her job!
We sell houses.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:19 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHomeFinder View Post

I think people who say they want a family friendly neighborhood just don't want to be surrounded by the stereotypical, antisocial neighbors screaming "Hey, young feller, get off my lawn! You're trampling my petunias!" They want their kids to be able to play in the street and not have neighbors who will run them down with their cars rather than slow down. And yes, they want their kids to have other kids to play with. At least, that's what we wanted for our young family.

The playing in the street thing I DO NOT get. Why would anyone let their children do this? My street ends in a cul de sac....they actually block off the cul de sac with orange cones!! I would be so po'd if I had to deal with that just to get into my own driveway. I also don't get the basketball hoops on the street either. Children do not belong in the street....period, end of sentence.

If playing in the street is what makes a neighborhood family friendly....I wish I live in one that wasn't.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:36 PM

240 posts, read 443,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
When I think of a neighborhood thats considered "family friendly", I think that the homes have more bedrooms for the kids, backyards are a bit larger for the kids and most of the neighbors have kids. Therefore, that one guy who is always manicuring his yard can't complain if your kid walks on his grass!

Also...having a pool and tot lots in the neighborhood make it "kid friendly".

But then...thats my interpretation!

Vicki
Vicki, I like and would have to agree with your interpretation. Kid friendly might be a more accurate descriptive term. But I guess I usually felt I understood what people meant when they used the term "family friendly".

We also have those "55 and older only" communities in NJ that, in my opinion, are not family friendly when applying Vicki's definition.

I believe that many Northerners have a perception that most Southerners are much more friendly than the typical person residing in the Northeast. One example I can think of that I have personally noted is the common courtesy of saying "hello" to someone as you pass them in a public place.

I believe that acknowledging another human being's existence does not take much effort and most Southerners I have interacted with consistently engage in this social practice. I believe that is one reason why people who live in NC for instance, are percieved as "friendlier" than Northerners.

Next week I will be "scouting" neighborhoods in the Raleigh/Durham area. I expect to encounter many "friendly" people. But in terms of moving there and having neighbors, I would hope that my neighbors and I could have more than just a "hi/bye" relationship. I think that this type of relationship is what polite Northerners are looking for when they say they are looking for a "family friendly" neighborhood. And I believe the expectation is that we(Northerners) are more likely to find such a neighborhood in Southern state.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:39 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
The playing in the street thing I DO NOT get. Why would anyone let their children do this? My street ends in a cul de sac....they actually block off the cul de sac with orange cones!! I would be so po'd if I had to deal with that just to get into my own driveway. I also don't get the basketball hoops on the street either. Children do not belong in the street....period, end of sentence.

If playing in the street is what makes a neighborhood family friendly....I wish I live in one that wasn't.
Amen! I don't understand that either...considering everyone has a backyard...as a kid, we played in the backyard! I think it's very dangerous. I told my realtor NO CUL-DE-SACS! for that reason, that invites kids to congregate! no thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary