Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-07-2011, 07:45 PM
 
166 posts, read 304,400 times
Reputation: 109

Advertisements

The family with 20-ish offspring will be visiting over the holiday and I'm having trouble coming up with activities/events to occupy them. Given that we're new here and I am not into the bar scene I'm coming up with zero.
What goes on in Durham for the college kids when school is out for the holidays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-08-2011, 04:43 AM
 
699 posts, read 1,706,110 times
Reputation: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2carolina View Post
The family with 20-ish offspring will be visiting over the holiday and I'm having trouble coming up with activities/events to occupy them. Given that we're new here and I am not into the bar scene I'm coming up with zero.
What goes on in Durham for the college kids when school is out for the holidays?
We're in the same boat and plan to start out with the Independent. You can pick up free copies all over the place or go on-line Independent Weekly
Info on music, films, exhibits, sports... I'm planning on having several copies around and encouraging folks to thumb through and choose. Just deciding should be fun.

There's Genghis Khan: The Exhibition at the Museum of Natural Sciences in Raleigh. Ours will, of course, resist going. Sounds too educational. But once there I'll bet they'll be fascinated.

Then there's Daisy Cakes. Daisy Cakes Store | Carpe Durham Used to be in an Airstream near the Farmers Market. Just opened their shop. Daughter has been there, says the breakfast pastries and coffee (Counter Culture?) are outrageous.

James Joyce Irish Pub has trivia night on Tuesday that our mid-twenties have enjoyed. It doesn't start until past my bedtime, so I've never gone. But they say it's a good time.

Parker and Otis is on our itinerary as is Elmo's Diner Tacos and likely Broad Street Cafe for the jazz on Sunday night.

Also Chubby's Tacos and wandering through the shops on 9th Street.

Locopops. Definitely a stop for Locopops.

Last edited by PatRoy1; 12-08-2011 at 05:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2011, 05:50 AM
 
1,036 posts, read 3,193,567 times
Reputation: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2carolina View Post
The family with 20-ish offspring will be visiting over the holiday and I'm having trouble coming up with activities/events to occupy them. Given that we're new here and I am not into the bar scene I'm coming up with zero.
What goes on in Durham for the college kids when school is out for the holidays?
LOL. this made me think that your family is the Duggars, with 20-ish offspring. You mean age, not quantity!

Even if the offspring is not of legal drinking age, take him/her to Motoroco on a Sunday afternoon. It's a little scene with music inside, food trucks outside, and a generally cool vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2011, 06:48 AM
 
4,598 posts, read 10,153,603 times
Reputation: 2523
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
LOL. this made me think that your family is the Duggars, with 20-ish offspring. You mean age, not quantity!

Even if the offspring is not of legal drinking age, take him/her to Motoroco on a Sunday afternoon. It's a little scene with music inside, food trucks outside, and a generally cool vibe.
haha yes I thought the same thing

Rock and Shop Market in Motorco is coming up soon and is a fun afternoon: Rock & Shop Market - Sat. Dec. 17, Motorco, Durham
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2011, 07:00 AM
 
Location: Durham, NC
520 posts, read 1,016,472 times
Reputation: 432
I'm too lazy to re-post the links I put over in this other thread
(it isn't too long, only 3 pages I think).

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...m-hmmmm-3.html

Several good ideas on things to do & where to find details on things to do. I would highly recommend starting with the Event Calendar. You'll get pages of all different kinds of activities coming up in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2011, 07:15 AM
 
1,036 posts, read 3,193,567 times
Reputation: 819
Also, I just remembered that Fullsteam has been hosting Sunday afternoon concerts as well, along with Old North State BBQ. The times we've been there, it's been bluegrassy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2011, 07:28 AM
 
166 posts, read 304,400 times
Reputation: 109
OMG!!! Did that really sound like we had 20-count offspring???? That is too funny!
These are great ideas and thanks tons for the help.

PatRoy- what is a locopop and where would one find them?

I saw an ad on the tv about a Rembrandt exhibit which may appeal to one of the kids ( art major)...but I missed where it is.....I didn't see it on the Nasher calendar and that's the only local museum of art I know. Is this at another 'triangle' location?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2011, 07:34 AM
 
4,598 posts, read 10,153,603 times
Reputation: 2523
The Rembrandt exhibit is at the NCMA. They might also be into the CAM (Contemporary Art Museum) in downtown Raleigh. I'm not all that into contemporary art but the museum was pretty neat and there's also a couple of cool independent art shops nearby.

Locopop has several locations: Locopops. Hand-crafted, locally-made gourmet frozen pops in a world of flavors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2011, 07:37 AM
 
Location: Downtown Durham, NC
915 posts, read 2,382,251 times
Reputation: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatRoy1 View Post

James Joyce Irish Pub has trivia night on Tuesday that our mid-twenties have enjoyed. It doesn't start until past my bedtime, so I've never gone. But they say it's a good time.

Locopops. Definitely a stop for Locopops.

I hate to say it, but the trivia at Bull McCabe's (on Wednesday) is about 1,000-fold better. I went to the Joyce a few times, and all of the questions were directly off the website sporkle. If you go to sporkle, you will win that trivia. Just a heads up if you really want a free pitcher of beer. I find the trivia at Bull McCabe's to be way more difficult, and that's something that definitely makes trivia fun. Also, it's not 100% pop culture, so you don't get stuck in a round only answering 1 out of 10 just because you haven't seen the latest Justin Bieber video.

OP: A locopop is a popsicle. They're inspired by Mexican paletas, and they come in water- or dairy- based flavors. There's a shop set up on Hillsborough Rd, right at the intersection with 15th St.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2011, 06:51 PM
 
699 posts, read 1,706,110 times
Reputation: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
I hate to say it, but the trivia at Bull McCabe's (on Wednesday) is about 1,000-fold better. I went to the Joyce a few times, and all of the questions were directly off the website sporkle. If you go to sporkle, you will win that trivia. Just a heads up if you really want a free pitcher of beer. I find the trivia at Bull McCabe's to be way more difficult, and that's something that definitely makes trivia fun. Also, it's not 100% pop culture, so you don't get stuck in a round only answering 1 out of 10 just because you haven't seen the latest Justin Bieber video.
\

Thanks a million. I'll let them know.

Also thanks for the info on The Rembrandt exhibit at the NCMA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top