Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the 30 people who protested at Wake County board meetings be put on trial?
Yes 22 42.31%
No 30 57.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 07:16 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,725,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Actions have consequences and the protesters should be held accountable. This was not a case of civil disobedience but one of mob bullying.
Going the mediation route instead of a trial doesn't mean there won't be any consequences though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

8,269 posts, read 25,093,477 times
It's very possible that the charges end up being dropped completely if it goes to trial.

22,664 posts, read 36,753,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
Going to trial is part of the act of civil disobedience. It gives your point of view more time in the spotlight. Gives others the opportunity to demonstrate at your trial, keeps the issue in the eye of the media, etc.

I don't think you should participate in civil disobedience if you aren't prepared to go to trial to drive your point home.

And yes, rules are rules. If they violated the law when they protested, they should be prosecuted accordingly.
Yeah, I agree with that. But again it's up to the DA to decide whether to press forward, plea it out or drop the charges. In the end going to trial benefts one class of people - defense attorneys.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:38 AM

906 posts, read 2,380,681 times
I don't think there should be mediation. That really makes no sense to me. They broke the law. I don't think it should necessarily go to trial but like others said, there will probably be some plea agreement. They should absolutely be punished.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:42 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,924,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post
They broke the law.
Isn't that what a trial is supposed to determine?

Old 12-09-2011, 08:54 AM

906 posts, read 2,380,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Isn't that what a trial is supposed to determine?
That's true. I guess I meant more that the prosecutors should look to a plea bargain rather than adamantly push for a trial. But if they can't agree on one then yes, it should go to trial.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:28 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,193,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
The protesters apparently only wanted mediation when they learned the election results and figured out who they would be mediating with. Prior to that, they apparently hadn't committed to it.

Margiotta's an ass. But I don't personally think what the School Board thinks about this should have much bearing on how it proceeds.
this is apparently the case. The first paragraph. Margiotta certainly gets painted as an ass, can't say I've ever met him. Personally, any Wake County resident I'm perfectly fine with mediation. Tim Tyson, William Barebr, and any "professional protestors" that did it for notoriety ... well, Willoughby has said he doesn't really want to prosecute them either.

And frankly, we don't need cases like these further bogging down the court system.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:47 PM

875 posts, read 1,161,450 times
Quote:
And frankly, we don't need cases like these further bogging down the court system.
Failing to prosecute will encourage future mob bullying which is all this was.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:04 PM

464 posts, read 1,043,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Failing to prosecute will encourage future mob bullying which is all this was.
Completely agree with this. If I remember right there was a large apathy when these elections were held. After the fact is a rather poor time to come out of the woodwork as thugs when the "majority" that came out to vote were clearly in favor of candidates that campaigned on neighborhood schools.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:49 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,138,421 times
This whole school board mess is a perfect example of "all elections have consequences".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary