Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the 30 people who protested at Wake County board meetings be put on trial?
Yes 22 42.31%
No 30 57.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 05:05 PM

351 posts, read 770,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Who do you think would pay for a trial (or trials) for 30 people? Ridiculous.
Ummmm.... That would be the citizens of Wake County. The same people who paid the ridiculous costs for increased security at BOE meetings while certain individuals from outside Wake County exercised their perceived right to be disorderly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 05:13 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Selective enforcement of the law should never be tolerated.
So you don't believe law enforcement or prosecutors should have any discretion ever?

Old 12-12-2011, 06:04 PM

78 posts, read 160,505 times
Default Netbrad - I salute you!

Another candidate for a "clear thinking" bonus cash extravaganza.....if there was such a thing on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
The Constitution is about rights and the law, not feelings. Public buffoonery should always be exposed and ridiculed.

Additionally, civil disobedience typically indicates a protest against an injustice. What was the injustice here? That the new board was considering replacing a failed policy? The new board wasn't a Democratic majority anymore? The real injustice was the horrid minority graduation rates over the last 10 years that somehow weren't a concern until non-Democrats got a majority of board seats.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:27 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage Member View Post
Would your opinion be the same if it was Tedesco who was the protestor at a democratically controlled school board meeting? Just sayin'
If the circumstances were the same, and it was Tedesco who was the protester, it would not change my opinion on how it should be handled.

Last edited by lamishra; 12-12-2011 at 06:39 PM..

Old 12-12-2011, 06:54 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
If the circumstances were the same, and it was Tedesco who was the protester, it would not change my opinion on how it should be handled.
I agree 100 percent.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:39 PM

773 posts, read 503,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I agree 100 percent.
So are you saying only certain laws matter? How do we pick and choose which laws to enforce? What is the criteria? Who is the decider in all cases?

Will you be supporting the rights of tea party people who show up at school board meetings for the next two years and yell, scream and shout down the new board members? Will you support their right to occupy the meeting facilities? Will you support the general disruption of conducting the citizen's business? Will you support outside groups coming into wake county to force their vision upon the new school board and breaking the law to do so? Will you be supportive?

If the answer is yes to all, then bravo to you for being consistent.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:52 PM

Um...No one said they were supporting their right to disturb the school board meetings. You seem to be warping several different issues into one little anger nugget. They were arrested and removed just like anyone else being disruptive at. School board meeting should be. But, in this particular case and these particular set of these facts, I don't think it needs to lead to a criminal trial since mediation was offered. Protesting in general though, I will ALWAYS support no matter what side of the fence the protesters are on.
If someone else were to do something worse, maybe it should go to trial, I don't know because that theoretical event hasn't happened yet. If it does, the facts will again be looked at and decided upon by the DA whether he wants to take it to trial or not. I tend to look things on a case by case basis, knowing that the facts of each situation usually differ.

Last edited by lamishra; 12-12-2011 at 09:04 PM..

Old 12-12-2011, 09:46 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Um...No one said they were supporting their right to disturb the school board meetings. You seem to be warping several different issues into one little anger nugget. They were arrested and removed just like anyone else being disruptive at. School board meeting should be. But, in this particular case and these particular set of these facts, I don't think it needs to lead to a criminal trial since mediation was offered. Protesting in general though, I will ALWAYS support no matter what side of the fence the protesters are on.
If someone else were to do something worse, maybe it should go to trial, I don't know because that theoretical event hasn't happened yet. If it does, the facts will again be looked at and decided upon by the DA whether he wants to take it to trial or not. I tend to look things on a case by case basis, knowing that the facts of each situation usually differ.
Yes, lamishra! Yes, yes, yes. Thank you.

I am a lamishra fan.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:12 PM

875 posts, read 1,161,866 times
Quote:
So you don't believe law enforcement or prosecutors should have any discretion ever?
The discretion is in the charges and penalties, not in the actual prosecution. I know that if I was arrested for trespassing anywhere I would not get an offer of mediation.

Quote:
Oh, I know. That was just me perpetually amazed at His Assness. I swear. "We don't want to encourage civil disobedience." Who the frick does he think he is, anyway?
This uh, description of Margiotta tells you all you need to know about the mindset of those who opposed the Margiotta board. While the term civil disobedience was a poor choice of words in that context, I believe the larger point he was trying to make was that failing to punish the disrupters would encourage future mob actions.

Quote:
But, in this particular case and these particular set of these facts, I don't think it needs to lead to a criminal trial since mediation was offered.
The issue is that mediation should not have been offered in the first place. They wanted to offer an easy way out so the new board would curry favor with the disrupters.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:25 AM

They can offer anything they want! It's up to the school board whether to accept it or not, and that is the whole point of the thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary