Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 11:33 AM

371 posts, read 1,218,510 times

Advertisements

Aldi is a place where you get store branded stuff (they resemble so much with branded stuff that you would think they are branded ones) for cheap with some rude staff. They accept ONLY cash or debit. They don't give you paper or plastic bags. They do not restock stuff for the day if it gets sold out. Don't expect friendly staff. We always find stuff at Kroger/Harris Teeter for the same price if we buy off branded stuff (that's what - store brand - Aldi sells anyway). Aldi runs promotions every week (on very very few items) and if you can limit yourself to buying only those you can make a trip and save few cents (excluding gas etc). One more thing - you can not use any coupons since they do not sell branded stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 01:16 PM

273 posts, read 618,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myNC View Post
Aldi is a place where you get store branded stuff (they resemble so much with branded stuff that you would think they are branded ones) for cheap with some rude staff. They accept ONLY cash or debit. They don't give you paper or plastic bags. They do not restock stuff for the day if it gets sold out. Don't expect friendly staff. We always find stuff at Kroger/Harris Teeter for the same price if we buy off branded stuff (that's what - store brand - Aldi sells anyway). Aldi runs promotions every week (on very very few items) and if you can limit yourself to buying only those you can make a trip and save few cents (excluding gas etc). One more thing - you can not use any coupons since they do not sell branded stuff
That sounds like your experience with Aldi........ We're talking about two locations that havent even opened.

I, for one, am already getting their $5 off and $10 off coupons in the mail already from them too. You are right if you meant that you cant use "Cheerios" or "Jimmy Dean Sausage" coupons there, as they dont sell brand name products. Instead, their food is always on sale.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benthephysicist View Post
That sounds like your experience with Aldi........ We're talking about two locations that havent even opened.

I, for one, am already getting their $5 off and $10 off coupons in the mail already from them too. You are right if you meant that you cant use "Cheerios" or "Jimmy Dean Sausage" coupons there, as they dont sell brand name products. Instead, their food is always on sale.
Yes, my experience would alert some people who may be excited about store opening. I am not aware of the $5 coupon but if it weren't there I would not recommend anybody even trying since non-name brand stuff that you can buy there are almost the same price as that of store brand products at Kroger/WalMart/HarrisTeeter etc. They advertise one or two loss leader items where hardly anybody save anything on them even if you are lucky get that stuff when you get there

Old 12-11-2011, 09:18 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Aldi markets are generally SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than Kroger's and the other mega chains, including Walmart.

Their business model is to offer a limited number of SKUs of private label groceries that are priced 15-20% LESS than you will find at the mega chains.
They are very selective in the vendors that they use AND offer a money back guarantee should you not be satisfied.

Here is a blog reviewing many of the products:

The Smart Aldi Shopper

They have common ownership with Trader Joe's and the relationship has led to Aldi carrying more upscale items than they have had in the past. For example, the British Stilton cheese that they carry is excellent. Most of the chocolate is excellent imported German and Belgian chocolates.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:27 PM

103 posts, read 279,419 times
I had an argument with my Dad who is an avid Aldi fan on his last visit. I challenged him to a contest by making my shopping list for the week at the Harris-Teeter a half mile from my house using my usual coupons and purchasing items on their VIC sales as i normally do. Then i would go to Aldi with him and see the cost of these same "non-brand" items at his favorite store.

I will spare the details but using coupons and taking advantage of VIC savings i spent $45 on everything i needed in a one-stop shop. Then we traveled to Aldi, couldn't find several items i wanted, couldn't use coupons, and would have spent the same amount (i think it was $43) that didn't include another $12 in necessities that i would have to go somewhere else for anyway.

Aldi = Way overrated. You can do much better shopping smart at a store with more variety and consistency. Not to mention the people are horrible and don't care. I've never waited more than 30 seconds at H-Teeter before someone would open a new register for me.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:55 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
my experience with Aldi has been wonderful and the staff is not as horrible as some have posted. Twice-at two different stores in 2 different states- I was even allowed to buy more than $100 worth of groceries with a CHECK when I politely explained I did not even know we would be near an Aldi, did not have a debit card and offered all sorts of I.D. A check- out person at my old Aldi's actually had recipe cards printed out from her own stash for several on-sale ingredients. That staff was very friendly.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:41 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,292,600 times
I love to hear Aldi get bashed and then when I tell people Aldi's owns Trader Joe's their jaws drop!! Actually, one brother owns Aldi and the TJ's. Aldi (which is a world wide company) contracts companies to "create" brands for them as TJ's does as well. It's many of the same companies that made name brands that are seen at other larger chains.

I've been going to Aldi's for over 30 years and it has improved from just a dry goods store to offering dairy products, fresh meat & veggies and more. They intentionally keep it no frills to keep the prices down (.25 to "rent" a shopping cart & guess what, they don't get stolen, accepts only cash or debit cards as banks charge high fees for the credit cards, no checks to keep lines moving, as well as bag your own groceries). I will admit that prices have gone up some over the last several months, as they have in every chain, but I still find them cheaper than the major chains. As far as rude employees, I've not found that to be the case at the one in Cary or Raleigh. I'm really looking forward to it opening in my neighborhood!

Old 12-17-2011, 04:08 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
They intentionally keep it no frills to keep the prices down (.25 to "rent" a shopping cart & guess what, they don't get stolen, accepts only cash or debit cards as banks charge high fees for the credit cards, no checks to keep lines moving, as well as bag your own groceries).
When I lived in Cleveland, the large grocery chains would have to PAY people to gather the 20-30 carts per week that would be taken home by people in the neighborhood. That 25 cents guaranteed that Aldi's carts would rarely be removed from the lot; on the few occasions where tehy were, the local kids would take them back for the quarter.

Wait until Aldi rolls out what they just did in their German stores - fresh baked bread in-store.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:59 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
I love to hear Aldi get bashed and then when I tell people Aldi's owns Trader Joe's their jaws drop!! Actually, one brother owns Aldi and the TJ's. Aldi (which is a world wide company) contracts companies to "create" brands for them as TJ's does as well. It's many of the same companies that made name brands that are seen at other larger chains.
hula has never steered me wrong. So if hula recommends it, it's good enough for me to check out.

Just so I come prepared, I should bring a quarter and my own bags? And leave the coupon book at home. Right?

Old 12-17-2011, 07:06 PM

People who had good experiences with Aldi must be lucky. As far as the store brands are concerned it is a hit or miss. Like someone said if you are a savvy shopper you get name brands for cheaper prices than store brands (obviously that means trusted quality that doesn't change) with better customer experience (not paying for carts, rude staff, insufficient stock, no bagging, debit/cash only etc etc). Example: Last week there was a deal on Cauliflower for $0.99 and the size was so small that compared to the price/size at Kroger etc you would get a better deal at Kroger. I am not advocating Kroger but Kroger will give you gas discount and rewards for money you spend there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary