Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 07:11 PM

3 posts, read 2,672 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I are considering relocating to the Raleigh-Durham area. My wife is a 10+ years experience registered nurse and I am a senior software developer. We have kids 6 and 4.
Basically we are trying to find the best locations/neighborhoods for us to live and that taking in consideration :
- a relative proximity to nursing jobs
- a relative proximity to IT jobs (I am working contracts... and that implies changing locations so an area with a good pool of jobs is best)
- good schools
- housing < $300,000
- safe area
- an optimized commute time (under 30 minute if possible)

Is there an area that would make sense ?

Thank you very much for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 07:36 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,099,752 times
IT jobs are in demand, but it depends on your skill set. Talk to local recruiters.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:47 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opernc View Post
Is there an area that would make sense ?
I am also in IT, and jobs may center around the Research Triangle Park, which borders south Durham and Morrisville. It is also close to Cary and Apex. Depending on your specialty, there are jobs with the state in Raleigh, and in the RTP area, with firms like Fidelity. I think a flexible location would be important.

I am less familiar with nursing jobs, but there are major hospitals throughout the area, and clinics and doctors offices. So there is no obvious cental location.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:48 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
IT jobs are in demand, but it depends on your skill set. Talk to local recruiters.
Or just use a jobs site like Indeed, and plot the locations on a map. Then draw a circle around them, and check a few real-estate prices. For example, $300K in Cary would get you a 2600-2700 SF house in a neighborhood with a pool.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:59 PM

481 posts, read 1,086,812 times
Hospitals are all over the area and IT jobs are all over all well. Morrisville has a lot of companies and is RTP's neighbor ( Research Triangle Park - which has many companies ) We moved here from NJ 6 years ago and love it! But not to be debbie downer...you need to secure a job before you move OR have money you can live off of for a while. There are jobs but there is a combination of locals looking, unemployed and people looking here or who have already moved. Nursing is a good field here, I've heard you may not make as much as up north. I worked in IT support and took a paycut here. But for a developer you should make more.
We live in Apex and have been very happy with the schools and commutes to work. I work in Morrisville and once the new section of 540 opens it will shave off even more time. I go in early but it will average 20 minutes. Going in around the normal commute times - after 8ish it might be 30 minutes. You can find homes under 300k. Look up and down Olive Chapel Rd. The downtown is quaint and has grown since we have been here. Good luck with your search!

Old 12-08-2011, 09:17 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,099,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Or just use a jobs site like Indeed, and plot the locations on a map. Then draw a circle around them, and check a few real-estate prices. For example, $300K in Cary would get you a 2600-2700 SF house in a neighborhood with a pool.
Indeed.com lists job openings from a variety of different sources. It's a great site, but it may be misleading as far as trying to use it to see how many jobs are available in your area. One job might be listed by a variety of different resources, but on Indeed.com, that one job might appear to be multiple jobs.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:32 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Quote:
- an optimized commute time (under 30 minute if possible)
Find at least one job before moving, and live based on that. Then look for the other job. It's hard to plan for "a good commute" when you don't have a job yet!

Old 12-09-2011, 11:46 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,157,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Find at least one job before moving, and live based on that. Then look for the other job. It's hard to plan for "a good commute" when you don't have a job yet!
Yep this is what my husband and I did. He had a job first so we based our house hunt on his commute. He drives about 15 minutes to work at a software company in downtown Raleigh and I drive about 30 minutes to work near Duke Hospital.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:55 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,606,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Or just use a jobs site like Indeed, and plot the locations on a map. Then draw a circle around them
Can you really plot the locations very accurately? Many of the jobs in Indeed are contract jobs though recruiters/headhunters. Do the headhunters give the address of their headhunter office, or the location of the office where the job is? Do they ever say anything more than just the city? I've never seen one give an actual address because that gives too much away. I've even had them refuse to give me a location for a job unless I send them my resume.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:06 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,157,625 times
Yeah Indeed won't accurately give you the locations for contract jobs, but they also have a lot of non-contract jobs on there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary