Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 09:48 AM

129 posts, read 682,762 times

Advertisements

Going with a few friends to Second Empire for dinner in January. Any recommendations on what to order, when to go, where to sit, how to get the most out of experience, etc?

Right now it maybe 8-10 adults in the party and none of us have ever been before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 09:50 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
I don't know of any "tips" that wouldn't be true for any other very nice restaurant. You might just call them and say it's everyone's first time, and if they have suggestions for the better times/seating areas, you'd be grateful if they could accomodate you? They would know their own business patterns better than anyone.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:30 AM

310 posts, read 575,556 times
Make sure to go a bit early to spend some time in the wild turkey bar. Be sure to resist the temptation to fill up on the cheese and crackers before the meal

Old 12-07-2011, 10:35 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim2none View Post
Make sure to go a bit early to spend some time in the wild turkey bar. Be sure to resist the temptation to fill up on the cheese and crackers before the meal
I believe you are thinking of the Angus Barn.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:31 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,420,936 times
2 different venues - Upstairs, more formal. Downstairs is "The Tavern" - more casual. I believe they change the menu per season upstairs. I've eaten there only once, upstairs and it was lovely.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:30 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,547,484 times
Is it a special event? If so, you might want to mention it when making the reservation.

When my DH took me, he had told them that it was our anniversary. When we arrived, they fussed over us, had an anniversary message on the menu, and put us in a cozy romantic nook. Granted, it was a weekday celebration so they might have been a bit bored at the other business dinners (at least they looked like business dinners...) so took special care of us -- or they might just do that! not sure, but it would definitely be worth mentioning if this was a special event...

have fun!

Old 12-07-2011, 01:47 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,206,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I don't know of any "tips" that wouldn't be true for any other very nice restaurant. You might just call them and say it's everyone's first time, and if they have suggestions for the better times/seating areas, you'd be grateful if they could accomodate you? They would know their own business patterns better than anyone.
this.

ANy customer-centric high-end business like that should be happy to accomodate you. And almost every fine dining establishment around varies their menu, so "must eat" is changing all of the time.

Personally, if you must go to Second Empire, unless you're into the haute cuisine scene I'd go to the tavern downstairs. Much less formal, and solid menu including items from the main dining room.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:56 PM

72 posts, read 170,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Personally, if you must go to Second Empire, unless you're into the haute cuisine scene I'd go to the tavern downstairs. Much less formal, and solid menu including items from the main dining room.
Totally agree with eating downstairs. It's more intimate, a cooler vibe, and you can order off the Tavern menu or upstairs (more formal - and expensive) menu.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:38 PM

46 posts, read 140,173 times
We went there a couple of years ago for our anniversary and ate upstairs. We loved it, but when first looking at the menu, I was a bit nervous because the descriptions on the menu listed almost every ingredient on the plate. There were things I had never heard of and I was afraid there wasn't going to be anything I liked. I went with the protein I liked the best and everything on the plate was delicious.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:39 PM

64 posts, read 173,635 times
I enjoy the tavern because you can order off the tavern menu and the formal "upstairs" menu... something those of us with food allergies appreciate (options). Also, like OPs said, it's more intimate. The bar area always seems busy and staff is always attentive. Fun place to go for a romantic dinner and with a group. Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary