Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2007, 01:11 PM

11 posts, read 31,367 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm so happy I found this forum!

My husband and I are thinking of moving to the greater Raleigh area from Seattle, WA. We have two young girls, ages 3 1/2 and 11 months. We have friends in Raleigh and in Clayton.

I am a CPA and my husband is in IT. If anyone knows someone looking to hire a controller, please let me know

Looking at real estate for sale right now online, we are liking the homes we see in Garner and that area. We would like to stay at about $360k or below.

Can anyone tell me what the schools are like in the Garner area? Should I be looking at other areas instead? I just want to make sure that my kids have a good education, and as a product of a decent public school system, I think we'd like to stay in public schools instead of going private.

Also, what are the average costs for childcare - 2 kids, full-time?

Thanks for taking the time to read this - ANY and ALL information that anyone can give me is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 01:13 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,152,505 times
Garner schools have a mixed reputation. You may want to consider other areas too.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:53 PM

15 posts, read 52,833 times
I just had a client relo from Seattle last month. He is settling in quite well. Schools are tricky because everyone has a personal opinion of what they like more. The schools will allow you to make an appointment and tour the schools. plus there are a variety of charter schools and magnet programs you can apply for great alternatives. Childcare will run anywhere between $175 a week and $250 depending on the area you choose and the school of course.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-30-2007 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: soliciting

Old 08-30-2007, 07:02 PM

75 posts, read 301,407 times
The tricky thing about Garner is that it straddles 2 counties- Wake and Johnston county, thus 2 different school systems and 2 different opinions of the area. The general feeling is very mixed with Garner in Wake, especially with the schools. The Johnston County side of things has become quite popular with schools that are well received. The Johnston County side of Garner is sometimes referred to as the Cleveland School area.

Make sure when you get information you are understanding which county they are "talking" about. Many people in Raleigh don't even know that the true address of the Cleveland School area in Johnston County is Garner so they will say things about Garner but are talking about the Wake County side.

I live in the Cleveland School area and love it, but it does get very confusing when speaking with those unfamiliar with "our" side of things.

Good luck!!!

Old 08-30-2007, 07:34 PM

10 posts, read 28,685 times
I hear the school district in Garner is so so. We just moved here and spent a lot of time researching the area. We chose wake forest but that was a huge mistake the Traffic is a nightmare as Wake Forest is North and everywhere you go you get stuck in traffic trying to get to RTP or Raleigh OR Cary etc. I suggest looking at Apex or Cary. Just something to note the reason we did chose wake forest even though the traffic sucks--there is a Nuke Power Plant just south of Lake Jordon Close to Apex, cary , garner etc. If that does not bother you go for Apex or Cary areas.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:36 PM

10 posts, read 28,685 times
Oh I forgot to add that don't worry to much about what school your kids will go to yet as they are still young like mine and unfortunately the school distirct you choose will probably be redrawn over and over again and your schools will change at the drop of a hat.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:51 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoLeeighs View Post
Hi! I'm so happy I found this forum!

My husband and I are thinking of moving to the greater Raleigh area from Seattle, WA. We have two young girls, ages 3 1/2 and 11 months. We have friends in Raleigh and in Clayton.
Hi! This summer we just moved to Durham, NC from Portland, Oregon. Hubby and I grew up in NC but have been in Portland for over 15 years. We have kids (7 & 4) so good schools were important to us, but we know that test scores alone do not reflect the worth of a school. BTW, some realtors (not those on this board!!) will tell you to stay away from Durham Public Schools. There are many threads on Durham Schools if you are interested. We picked SW Durham in part because it is central to The Triangle and we want our children to grow up in a racially diverse neighborhood. We did not have that in Portland.

360K will get you a nice home in many parts of The Triangle (not as much in Chapel Hill) but must other places. Kind of mind blowing how much you can get for 360K after coming from Seattle prices. What about Garner interests you? Let us know what you are looking for in an area and home and I know that the folks on here can make some good suggestions.

BTW, can you send us some of that cool NW weather. The heat has been hard getting use to. But I know come October I'll be singing another song.

Good luck!

Old 08-31-2007, 11:00 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,152,505 times
Durham schools received a bad rep after some well publicised fisticuffs involving a board member at the meetings.

It's not all bad, though.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:56 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,663,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2makealivin View Post
I hear the school district in Garner is so so. We just moved here and spent a lot of time researching the area. We chose wake forest but that was a huge mistake the Traffic is a nightmare as Wake Forest is North and everywhere you go you get stuck in traffic trying to get to RTP or Raleigh OR Cary etc. I suggest looking at Apex or Cary. Just something to note the reason we did chose wake forest even though the traffic sucks--there is a Nuke Power Plant just south of Lake Jordon Close to Apex, cary , garner etc. If that does not bother you go for Apex or Cary areas.
I think it depends where you are going from Wake Forest if the traffic is bad on not.

I would avoid Capital during rush hour if possible...but other then that, there are ways around it in most cases (though not all). Then again, I seldom drive to Cary for anything, as I work in RTP and can find everything I need in WF, Raleigh or Durham.

My co-workers in that are have more complaints about traffic then I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary