Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 05:35 AM
ERH ERH started this thread

1,700 posts, read 2,531,204 times

Advertisements

I have some jewelry I don't wear anymore and would like to unload. I've never done this before. Should I head straight for the pawn shop or find a cash-for-gold place? (I have NO IDEA how much gold is in each piece, since they were gifts from long ago!)

Any recommendations for fair/reputable places?

Old 12-14-2011, 07:13 AM

334 posts, read 867,574 times
I would get several quotes. the price will change daily. They're going to melt it down anyway so you might as well get the most $$ you can.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:38 PM

273 posts, read 619,255 times
Here's how you can be the smart shopper:

Gold, Silver, Gold Price, Silver Price, Gold Rate, Gold News | Kitco

It'll tell you this minutes price of gold per ounce. Right now its about $1576/oz. Your pretty necklaces and such that get sold to them get melted and then sold. The Cash 4 Gold, Pawn Shops, etc., are all middle men for the melters. Middle men make money, and each will have varying prices.

Once you are armed with the spot price of gold, you can get a few quotes. The problem is that you dont know what your item is, and without that its hard to say what its gold weight is. Golds price does change every second, however keeping a general eye on the spot price is normally enough. Those huge swings in the market where gold goes sky high or drops to the floor in the newscasters eyes only happen so often. Use your own risk to determine if you want to sell NOW or wait a while and chance the gold price going up or down. Be sure you report back with what you find, it'd be nice to hear one of these threads that happen a lot get updated with results of what their experiences were.........

I would however advise strongly against the mail order Cash 4 Gold franchise -- they are money pits and consumers have terrible benefits from their prices and service. Google the mail order and then add "complaints" after the term too and it'll help sort the good from the bad.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-14-2011, 06:49 PM

168 posts, read 267,738 times
Default Selling Gold

I Had a good experience selling gold at Raleigh Fine Jewelry Gold and Coin on Little Brier Creek Pkwy, just off the corner of Glenwood and Brier Creek Parkway.

I got a very fair price on 14K & 18K gold. In fact the owner was very honest about testing the gold and telling me that a piece that I thought was 14K was actually 18K. I am not affiliated with the store in any way just a very satisfied customer.

I do agree with other posters, I wouldn't suggest a pawn shop, mail away etc. Deal locally and with a jewelry store that can explain the gold sales process to you and answer your questions.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:58 PM

61 posts, read 147,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliehubbard View Post
I Had a good experience selling gold at Raleigh Fine Jewelry Gold and Coin on Little Brier Creek Pkwy, just off the corner of Glenwood and Brier Creek Parkway.

I got a very fair price on 14K & 18K gold. In fact the owner was very honest about testing the gold and telling me that a piece that I thought was 14K was actually 18K. I am not affiliated with the store in any way just a very satisfied customer.

I do agree with other posters, I wouldn't suggest a pawn shop, mail away etc. Deal locally and with a jewelry store that can explain the gold sales process to you and answer your questions.

I agree with everything said here. I felt like the process was extremely transparent and felt like I got fair prices. I've sold a couple times and been very happy.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:14 PM

216 posts, read 539,279 times
Have you tried looking for a kart stamp on your pieces. You might need a magnify glass, since these markings can be very small.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:39 PM

393 posts, read 652,429 times
Go to a jeweler and get them to identify your gold, I would suggest Baileys Fine Jewelry in Cameron Village. They are very reliable and trustworthy. They will also buy if you decide to sell to them. I would suggest that you ask them what they pay per gram, or per pennyweight. If you don't get at least $16.50 per gram for 10K and $21.00 for 14K you should sell to someone else. Check your messages I left you one. Have a Merry Christmas and good luck. There are many honest gold buyers out there to choose from.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:49 AM

273 posts, read 619,255 times
I wish some of you would read the OP's question........ I try to help with a reply and I get FIVE private messages (two from repliers here) telling me how they pay the most for gold and they are the best etc........

I am not buying or selling, duh. Read the thread before you PM spam please

Old 12-15-2011, 12:18 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,545,664 times
Whatever you do, DO NOT use a "mail away" program. They are a scam.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:47 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
National Pawn gave us a great price on extra gold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary