Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 07:26 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times

Advertisements

Block scheduling can be a problem if, say, your child is taking Algebra fall semester and then the next class in the sequence isn't available till the following fall. Might be a rarity that that happens, but it does happen.

ALso, my niece is a senior and had all super easy courses this fall, and all her difficult AP courses are falling in the spring. She has to keep her grades up to cement college acceptances, so that really stinks and she's not happy about it. The upside is that AP exams are given in the spring anyway so the material will be fresh in her mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 06:48 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
I had one child in a Wake County high school when it transitioned to block scheduling. There is one simple truth about the use of block scheduling: It is intended to increase the graduation rate for low peforming students by giving them more opportunities to pass a class (by repeating it) and still earn the necessary number of credits needed to graduate. (A student who passes all of their classes can finish in 3-1/2 years (7 semesters)).

Old 12-16-2011, 07:47 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I had one child in a Wake County high school when it transitioned to block scheduling. There is one simple truth about the use of block scheduling: It is intended to increase the graduation rate for low peforming students by giving them more opportunities to pass a class (by repeating it) and still earn the necessary number of credits needed to graduate. (A student who passes all of their classes can finish in 3-1/2 years (7 semesters)).
While I don't doubt what you are saying, it seems to me that more information in a condensed time would be harder for students to absorb, especially some low performing kids. For instance on a block schedule, don't kids have to learn a year's worth of history in 1/2 a school year. ??? (I don't have high schoolers yet, so block is foreign to me.) And if this is the the case did any of the school districts Wake or Durham do any research to see if block in the end helps low performing kids pass or just sets them up for more failures????

I've always been curious about the justification behind block schedules. Here in Durham all the neighborhood high schools use a block schedule. But the if you are lucky enough to get into DSA then there is a tradition schedule.

Last edited by PDXmom; 12-16-2011 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-16-2011, 07:55 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
I've always been curious about the justification behind block schedules. Here in Durham all the neighborhood high schools use a block schedule. But the if you are lucky enough to get into DSA then their is a tradition schedule.
I've always heard it touted as getting kids ready for the "real world", ie college or employment, and giving kids the opportunity to take more classes over a four year period (or more chances to retake classes). The line of thinking being classes in college are over an hour long so why not high school classes too.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:03 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
While I don't doubt what you are saying, it seems to me that more information in a condensed time would be harder for students to absorb, especially some low performing kids. For instance on a block schedule, don't kids have to learn a year's worth of history in 1/2 a school year. ???
Class periods are longer (90 minutes vs. 55) so it's not like learning the subject in half a year. There is a loss of classroom time, however, so the subject is more acclerated. (This was a fact I remember the school we were at glossing over in their presentations until I pressed the principal on it in a Q&A session.)

Assuming a 180 day school year, a traditional schedule offers 165 hours of instruction per class (at 55 minutes). A block schedule offers 135 hours of instruction per class (at 90 minutes).

One advantage the educators touted is that the less frequent start/stop cycle is more efficient. (Teachers only have to stop/restart 90 times instead of 180.)

Old 12-16-2011, 08:08 AM

881 posts, read 2,253,830 times
Quote:
And if this is the the case did any of the school districts Wake or Durham do any research to see if block in the end helps low performing kids pass or just sets them up for more failures????

I've always been curious about the justification behind block schedules. Here in Durham all the neighborhood high schools use a block schedule. But the if you are lucky enough to get into DSA then their is a tradition schedule.

Well I know DPS phased it in. My cousin started attending Southern in '94 and they were doing a block schedule at that time. I graduated from Northern (also attend DSA) in '00 and they were still on a traditional schedule.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:13 AM

381 posts, read 1,325,843 times
The negative I saw with block scheduling is that you are frequently unable to take classes sequentially, so there is often a significant gap. For instance, you may take Spanish I in the Fall of 2011 but then not be able to take Spanish II until Fall 2012 or even Spring 2013. Same problem with math progressions.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:19 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Class periods are longer (90 minutes vs. 55) so it's not like learning the subject in half a year. There is a loss of classroom time, however, so the subject is more acclerated. (This was a fact I remember the school we were at glossing over in their presentations until I pressed the principal on it in a Q&A session.)

Assuming a 180 day school year, a traditional schedule offers 165 hours of instruction per class (at 55 minutes). A block schedule offers 135 hours of instruction per class (at 90 minutes).

One advantage the educators touted is that the less frequent start/stop cycle is more efficient. (Teachers only have to stop/restart 90 times instead of 180.)
Thanks for the explanation! And Mikeheel, thanks for the info regarding sequential classes.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:19 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeheel View Post
The negative I saw with block scheduling is that you are frequently unable to take classes sequentially, so there is often a significant gap. For instance, you may take Spanish I in the Fall of 2011 but then not be able to take Spanish II until Fall 2012 or even Spring 2013. Same problem with math progressions.
I could see that being a big problem. Do they not link it up like colleges do for fall and spring courses?

Old 12-16-2011, 08:26 AM

381 posts, read 1,325,843 times
As I understand it, they try, but that doesn't always work. You may take Span I in the Spring and then Span II in the fall, but then you wait until the next school year for Span III.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary