Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 12:46 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,738,065 times

Advertisements

Realtors give assignment plan mixed reviews - Real Estate News - NewsObserver.com

I found this article to be very interesting. I have to say, I'm very impressed that Tata & WCPSS engaged the local realtors in a conversation about this plan.

But I wondered what MLS will list for Wake County Schools under their listings.... "call local school board"??? I have seen this type of wording for schools in Winston-Salem. Also, I'd love to hear what some of the local CD realtors think about how this will impact their businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 01:38 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,134,626 times
Quote:
Tata told the crowd that, based on how choice plans have been introduced in other districts, the new assignment plan should improve home values.
Interesting. I'd like to see the actual data on that.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:33 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,080,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Interesting. I'd like to see the actual data on that.

Me too. You can bet your bippy it will hurt mine, since the same middle school is our 2nd AND third choice (WTF???) and it's freaking far away (WTF??) and not especially good.

I have wondered about this a LOT, as well as about what's going to happen to elementary schools that suddenly feed into far less desirable schools than they used to, and which have alternatives that are much, much better. I know a lot of folks in Carpenter Village who are jumping ship from Carpenter Elementary now that Carpenter El. is now feeding into E. Cary middle. Green Hope is the traditional option, it's RIGHT down the street (maybe 1/3 mile?), and feeds into Davis and Green Hope high. Carpenter is going to either become a ghost town or a dumping ground. And what's going to happen to CV housing? People will post here, ask about it, and the response is going to be "great neighborhood with great amenities. GREAT schools if you get into Green Hope's feeder pattern. But nobody wants the alternatives."

*THAT* would send me running.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
Me too. You can bet your bippy it will hurt mine, since the same middle school is our 2nd AND third choice (WTF???) and it's freaking far away (WTF??) and not especially good.
Curious about the middle school comment. Do you have 2 different middle school choices? Based on "families will pick from at least five elementary school choices - typically their closest ones - and two middle school and two high school choices." I thought everyone got 2 middle school choices. Are you saying some areas get 3 middle school choices and others only get 2 choices?

I'm honestly trying to understand some of this from the outside. Thanks.

One other thing... what is wrong with East Cary that people will shy away from?

Last edited by PDXmom; 12-17-2011 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: one other thing

Old 12-17-2011, 06:18 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,664,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Oh boy.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielChang View Post
Oh boy.
Ummmm, since it looks like I may have opened a can of worms unintentionally, maybe I should retract that question and just dig a bit on this forum.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:09 PM

22,648 posts, read 36,629,764 times
Now that we've gotten the assignments, I have to say I'm more confused than ever. Disclaimer - we are assigned to the same schools that we've been assigned to since these houses were built. But we were given one, and only one, choice. I'm fine with the feeder pattern staying the same as it's been all these years, but interested as to WHY we get NO CHOICE at all.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:49 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,080,726 times
Quote:
Curious about the middle school comment. Do you have 2 different middle school choices? Based on "families will pick from at least five elementary school choices - typically their closest ones - and two middle school and two high school choices." I thought everyone got 2 middle school choices. Are you saying some areas get 3 middle school choices and others only get 2 choices?

I'm honestly trying to understand some of this from the outside. Thanks.

We have these elementary choices: Cedar Fork, Morrisville, Carpenter, Green Hope, and Reedy Creek. Then we have the feeders for those, in this order: West Cary, East Cary, East Cary, Davis, West Cary. So we have 3 Middle school choices, but E. Cary is a "proximity" choice--which is insane, since Davis is our closest school, then W. Cary, then either Mills Park or Reedy Creek, not sure which, then E. Cary.

East Cary isn't a bad school I guess--but it's MUCH farther than the other options, and as one Carpenter Village mom put it to me, as a working mom, she will never see her child since the bus comes at like 6:15 am. So the kid will go to bed shortly after she gets home from work at night. Secondly, when you have two, the after-school care that picks up from Carpenter will not also pick up from E. Cary b/c they are so far apart.

I realize that E. Cary is severely underenrolled, but dragging kids across the county to solve the problem doesn't solve the problem that the Margiotta board majority wanted to solve with "neighborhood" schools. Not to mention that just last year, after a 2-year battle, Carpenter Village got the board to switch Carpenter Elementary's middle school to Davis, only to have it switched back this year.

I can't speak to how good or bad of a school E. Cary is, bc I have not had a child there for more than a quarter, but I know that there are a lot of discipline problems and not as much parent support as you might see elsewhere. Academically, it really did nothing for my AG child. She did worksheets all day and brought worksheets home at night. I guess I expect a lot from a school, and am willing to do a lot in support of my kids and their school. Just teaching them to pass a test isn't going to cut it.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:44 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,058,918 times
Quote:
Ummmm, since it looks like I may have opened a can of worms unintentionally, maybe I should retract that question and just dig a bit on this forum.
There is nothing wrong with East Cary. Not sure where the comments are coming from, but we know lots of families there (with AG kids) and they love it. If my daughter doesn't get into magnets, we're looking forward to going there.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:29 AM

71 posts, read 148,321 times
You are right, annesg. We decided against purchasing in CV because of school assignment issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary