Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 09:36 PM

22 posts, read 85,899 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am from Long Island, NY and I am looking to move to NC by next summer. I was in Cary last week and I found a nice development in Morrisville (KHOV' Providence Place off of Church Street) and I was about to sign the contract until I received the noise disclosure form. Does anyone from Morrisville-Cary know if I will have a problem with the noise levels from the airplanes? Would I be better off in Cary as far as noise levels go? Is it really as bad as a few people are leading me to believe in Morrisville? Any and all help is greatly appreiciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 09:40 PM

43,018 posts, read 76,519,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChereicome View Post
Hello all,

I am from Long Island, NY and I am looking to move to NC by next summer. I was in Cary last week and I found a nice development in Morrisville (KHOV' Providence Place off of Church Street) and I was about to sign the contract until I received the noise disclosure form. Does anyone from Morrisville-Cary know if I will have a problem with the noise levels from the airplanes? Would I be better off in Cary as far as noise levels go? Is it really as bad as a few people are leading me to believe in Morrisville? Any and all help is greatly appreiciated. Thank you.
Airplane noise issues are subjective, and only you can answer how you will react.
Many people will tell you, "You get used to it."
You have to determine if they are right...for you.
Much of Cary is outside the noise zone, with little or no air traffic.
And much of Cary wraps around Mo'ville and is subject to air traffic and noise.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:43 PM

I am trying to avoid flying down there but it seems like I have no choice. Thanks for the input.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
I am trying to avoid flying down there but it seems like I have no choice. Thanks for the input.
About 4:00PM to 6:00PM is a good time to visit a site and judge the impact of airplane noise.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
About 4:00PM to 6:00PM is a good time to visit a site and judge the impact of airplane noise.
Weekdays or weekends?

Old 08-30-2007, 09:49 PM

If you don't mind my asking, how are the noise levels where you live in Cary?

Old 08-30-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
If you don't mind my asking, how are the noise levels where you live in Cary?
I live just on the edge of the 55dB perimeter, just east of Davis Drive. I get the annual RDU letter, and don't think about it.

We get a plane now and then, and a bit of a loud one every couple of weeks.
We are definitely out of the final approach corridor, where the noise can be dramatic, IMO, with repetitive planes coming through on approach or takeoff.

I do not consider the level of noise and traffic we have at home to be a detriment at all.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I live just on the edge of the 55dB perimeter, just east of Davis Drive. I get the annual RDU letter, and don't think about it.

We get a plane now and then, and a bit of a loud one every couple of weeks.
We are definitely out of the final approach corridor, where the noise can be dramatic, IMO, with repetitive planes coming through on approach or takeoff.

I do not consider the level of noise and traffic we have at home to be a detriment at all.
Mike,

First of all thanks for the advice and quick responses, I truly appreciate it. I have 1 more question for you? How far away is your home from Church Street and Mcrimmon Pkwy in Morrisville?

Old 08-30-2007, 10:21 PM
rfb

2,592 posts, read 6,323,334 times
I can't speak to the noise in Morrisville, but my last house was in the 60db noise contour in NW Raleigh. Usually the noise was not an issue. However, every now and then we would get a low flying plane. It was enough to stop conversations outdoors. It was always worse when raining, as the planes on approach tend to come in lower. My wife and I would occasionally joke that we could wave to the passengers in the plane on approach.

Only you can decide whether the amount of noise you are comfortable with. My only advise is after visiting a property and getting a feel for the noise, if it bothers you, don't buy - you won't be happy, and you really should be happy when buying a home. The noise I mentioned above? It was never an issue for me or for my wife. But YMMV.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Mike,

First of all thanks for the advice and quick responses, I truly appreciate it. I have 1 more question for you? How far away is your home from Church Street and Mcrimmon Pkwy in Morrisville?
NChereicome.

I know where Providence Place is, and I am about 7 miles away by road. 6 miles ATCF.
(As The Crow Flies. And their dang "Caw! Caw!" is aggravating, too. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary