Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 10:57 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Eh my understanding is the rules they put in place for the food trucks are so prohibitive that for the average person it's just makes more business sense to operate somewhere else.
I'm not sure I agree. I followed the process pretty closely and the change to the ordinance while it does have restrictions is not all that hard to navigate and there are many locations that would work under the guidelines.

One thing in particular I was surprised at was that Klausie's no longer frequents the parking lot of Big Boss Beer on Thursday nights which he regularly did before the ordinance change. You can find other food trucks there now, but not Klausies. Seems a little odd to me since they fought so hard to serve Raleigh locations and he use to serve there before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 11:19 AM

109 posts, read 105,678 times
Quote:
Eh my understanding is the rules they put in place for the food trucks are so prohibitive that for the average person it's just makes more business sense to operate somewhere else.
You understood correctly. That was the issue according to Mike, so no more Klausie's there.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:31 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
I can think of a couple places that do it in the area. Salvio's is probably my favorite.
Looks pretty good, and reasonable - may have to try it - thanks!

Old 12-29-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFL View Post
You understood correctly. That was the issue according to Mike, so no more Klausie's there.
Actually you can still find Mike in Raleigh (thought just not that often). At the Ornementea Parking Lot downtown and the Centenial Campus by NCSU. And a few other random locations in Raleigh from time to time. So the process hasn't been to cumbersome for him there. Just odd he isn't at Big Boss anymore since he was so upset when he wasn't allowed to setup there when the ordinacne was being worked out (and other trucks still go there except him). Though I'm not surprised he hasn't given up going to Fullsteam in Durham on Friday and Saturday nights since the foot traffic there is very heavy. I don't blame the guy for going where he gets the most business. Just ironic after all the fighting for food trucks in Raleigh.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:41 AM

615 posts, read 1,503,628 times
A WaWa for coffee....

Mack & Manco Pizza(South Jersey/Philly natives will totally agree..LOL)

Old 12-29-2011, 11:53 AM

109 posts, read 105,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Actually you can still find Mike in Raleigh (thought just not that often). At the Ornementea Parking Lot downtown and the Centenial Campus by NCSU. And a few other random locations in Raleigh from time to time. So the process hasn't been to cumbersome for him there. Just odd he isn't at Big Boss anymore since he was so upset when he wasn't allowed to setup there when the ordinacne was being worked out (and other trucks still go there except him). Though I'm not surprised he hasn't given up going to Fullsteam in Durham on Friday and Saturday nights since the foot traffic there is very heavy. I don't blame the guy for going where he gets the most business. Just ironic after all the fighting for food trucks in Raleigh.
I said no more Klausie's there. I do not say not in Raleigh. You should talk to Mike as I have to have a good understanding of what happened. The process was a real eye opener. Anyone thinking of opening up shop should speak to Mike to gain some great insight. It's not very pretty. I feel so bad for him.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFL View Post
I said no more Klausie's there. I do not say not in Raleigh. You should talk to Mike as I have to have a good understanding of what happened. The process was a real eye opener. Anyone thinking of opening up shop should speak to Mike to gain some great insight. It's not very pretty. I feel so bad for him.
I have talked to Mike and did throughout the process. Even went to a few of the city council meetings to listen to the discussion. I was pulling for the guy - but I also noticed he sometimes got facts a little jumbled (understandable when emotions get involved).I'm not sure why or how the process to get a spot at Big Boss would be any different than getting a spot anywhere else in Raleigh since the same ordinance applies. And as I mentioned other trucks do go to Big Boss - just not Mike.

Getting back to the OP, ultimately food trucks aren't the best option for offering regualr dining options since by nature they move around and often don't operate during poor weather. I hit up a food truck from time to time when I see them, but a quality brick and mortar place in a good location is my prefered route.

Location, Location, Location + quality product will win out 9 out of ten time. Just look at the Chubbies tacos and new Neomonde location in North Raleigh. Both set up shop in areas where others have failed - but they both look to be homeruns.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:11 PM

28 posts, read 43,392 times
Yea I heard a actual small business has to buy a lic, then the trucks can park on their approved area/lot or in front of their bldg

Old 12-29-2011, 12:57 PM

596 posts, read 1,240,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapObvious View Post
What type of cafe/coffehouse/dessert/restaurant/pizzeria you want to open in raliegh? I know there are a lot of coffeehouses around, some specialize in certain things, but what if one was good at everything?
A Deli/Diner that sells corned beef, pastrami sandwiches ! Near 42/50 that would be cool, even 40/42 area !

Old 12-29-2011, 10:05 PM

96 posts, read 147,246 times
I could really go for some Tim Hortons everywhere. I've even emailed them to no avail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary