Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2012, 03:43 PM

21 posts, read 23,648 times

Advertisements

It's possible! My son lives 2 miles from Apex High yet he was pre-assigned to Athens Drive 9 miles away. Hey, but I threw his name in the lottery pool for Apex(my only option besides Athens) and I'm sure I'll be one of the 25 lucky winners out of 157, right!

Old 03-09-2012, 05:44 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kids_2dogs View Post
(I guess I should have posted this here)

Why does WCPSS new assignment plan have wait lists? I thought they were to hold your place in line for the next available seat, but I guess not.

According to the Preliminary Round 1 Proximity Choice Results and the Rising 9th Graders Requesting a Change in Assignment chart shown here wait lists were not used.

For example:
Apex High had 25 1st choice applicants accepted out of 157. That would leave 132 on a waiting list, right? The total accepted including 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice students was shown as 35. That means 10 were accepted as 2nd or 3rd choice applicants. How were those 10 spots given out to them before the students on the waiting list? Wasn't the waiting list created for the next available seat?

Apex High was not the only school handled this way. Green Hope, Broughton, Sanderson, Wakefield, and Enloe also overlooked their waiting lists and sat students requesting them as their 2nd/3rd choice. I haven't reviewed all the numbers at the 6th grade level, but I see some were done the same way.
Wha???? This is exactly the opposite of what I was told by student assignment--UGH!

Old 03-09-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingMomof2 View Post
Here's what I don't understand. I'm looking at which schools the rising 6th graders are trying to leave and where they are applying to go. I'm surprised that there are students who are assigned to Leesville MS who have Mills Park MS as a choice. How in the world is that possible when I live 4 miles from Mills Park MS and it's not one of my choices (but East Cary MS, which is 8 miles from my house is)? How is it possible that someone who was assigned to Leesville MS would live closer to Mills Park MS than I do? So much for neighborhood schools.

My daughter is a rising 5th grader, so I have one year to hope that they look at the data, see the schools everyone is trying to leave and where they are trying to go, and fix the issues. Stop laughing at me. I can live in my little rose colored glass world for another year, right?
I'm not laughing at you. I'm politely inviting you over for a glass (bottle) of wine this time next year when it's even worse.

Virtually everyone I know at Carpenter w/ 4th graders is applying elsewhere for 5th so they don't have to get shipped across town to E. Cary. We lucked out and got into charter school so we don't have to cope with it for the youngest, but I'm still trying to figure out where Middle Schooler will go next year.

Why someone could go to Leesville or Mills Park is beyond me. Mills Park isn't one of my options, either, though it's closer than E. Cary. IT also seems that they can now force you into YR school. What a mess.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:51 PM

182 posts, read 386,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kids_2dogs View Post
It's possible! My son lives 2 miles from Apex High yet he was pre-assigned to Athens Drive 9 miles away. Hey, but I threw his name in the lottery pool for Apex(my only option besides Athens) and I'm sure I'll be one of the 25 lucky winners out of 157, right!
next time there's a school bond, vote for it, not against it. if ti costs you $100 more a year to get a school close to you, it's worth it

that was what started all this 10 years ago, a $Billion dollar school bond that the anti-school lobby convinced enough voters to vote against

never vote against school bonds

Old 03-14-2012, 07:46 AM

Can someone who is better at math explain this to me?
http://www.wcpss.net/Board/work-sess...ce-results.pdf

This shows, as far as I can tell, that of those requesting to participate in the Choice shenanigans this year (grades 1-12), only 59% got their 1st choice. Of course, 97% not choosing to participate got their choice (???). How does this relate to their projection of 90% getting what they want from early in the proposal plan? They are broadcasting far and wide that 90% of kindergarteners got their first choice. Great. These kids are what, 10% or less of the whole system?

I'd appreciate anyone with more knowledge/math skills to tell me if this truly speaks of a successful choice round or not.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:56 AM

21 posts, read 23,648 times
Those results show 92% of rising K got their 1st choice. Over all 75% got their first choice if you include all K-12. If you combine only grades (1-12) then only 59% got the 1st choice. That's more than half the people participating. Far from their forecast of 80-85% in the FAQ's on the WCPSS website:
How likely are you to get your first choice?
Experience with controlled choice plans in other districts around the country suggests that 80-85% of parents typically receive an assignment to their first choice school. Results from the simulation study conducted this past summer suggest a similar result is likely here in Wake County.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:01 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexWolfpacker View Post
next time there's a school bond, vote for it, not against it. if ti costs you $100 more a year to get a school close to you, it's worth it

that was what started all this 10 years ago, a $Billion dollar school bond that the anti-school lobby convinced enough voters to vote against

never vote against school bonds
The reality is that so many don't have kids in the public school system so school construction/location is on their agenda. I just read about seniors in a senior community elsewhere organizing against an elementary school being build near/in their fairly new community. The land had been designated prior to the development of the community.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:09 PM

387 posts, read 1,045,397 times
I have been hearing about disturbing trends in WCPSS. At a local elementary school (Sycamore Creek), parents have shown up to do landscaping work. At another elementary (featured in North Raleigh News), parents did janitorial work that had long been neglected. Now I am hearing that because of the bell schedule change becoming a financial burden on some parents, that parents are signing up for shift work (morning/afternoon) to watch each other's children before and after school.

Does anyone else think that asking parents to do these tasks that the school budget should pay contractors to do is ridiculous? Or, rather, neglecting these expenses to the point where parent volunteers feel they have to step in and do the work themselves?

Old 03-14-2012, 01:23 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Once upon a time WCPSS provided school supplies and textbooks for every child. Things change, the budget changes, it's not unexpected or surprising that parents get involved and help clean or garden/ landscape. Schools have always needed volunteers in a multitude of areas. I think it's great parents are willing to step up.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:33 PM

93 posts, read 163,956 times
Our team is very pleased with these results. They are consistent if not better than our models predicted," said Superintendent Tony Tata. For example:
  • Similar choice plans typically have 85 percent or more students receiving their first choice, but our entering class of kindergartners are seeing a more than 90 percent rate of first choice selections.
  • Our modeling this summer told us we would have about a six percent choice rate for existing students, which actually came in at just under six percent in the first round.
  • Our modeling also showed available capacity in high performing regional choice schools and those predictions are bearing out as well. Every kindergartner from a historically low-performing area requesting such a seat was admitted.
I think the percentages being quoted above was always thought of for rising K. In fact, the plan (as I understood it) was always advertised as primarily for rising K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary