Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2014, 10:18 PM

810 posts, read 1,450,730 times

Advertisements

Up North I patronized an old-school paint store where everyone was old, everyone spent their lives mixing and applying paint, and everyone knew pretty much everything. Is there a place like that here?

A

PS And there was a basement full of really great discontinued and specialized stuff....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 02:54 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,612,120 times
Reckless Paint in North Durham - not everyone is old, but other than that it's very much what you're looking for. I don't know about the discontinued stuff.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:11 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,941,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
Up North I patronized an old-school paint store where everyone was old, everyone spent their lives mixing and applying paint, and everyone knew pretty much everything. Is there a place like that here?

A

PS And there was a basement full of really great discontinued and specialized stuff....
Ascue-Taylor Paint is the place...Glenwood Ave...Glenwood South

Old 11-24-2014, 05:07 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,083,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Ascue-Taylor Paint is the place...Glenwood Ave...Glenwood South
Absolutely ... creaky floor too. You can learn a lot by spending a few hours there.

Frank

Old 11-24-2014, 05:19 AM

22,679 posts, read 36,836,112 times
There's a paint store on 64 in Apex, just west of the train trestle. There's a guy who works there who comes from one of those old-school paint stores up north. He's got a super-heavy NY accent,lol but he knows what he's talking about. So the store is new but he's not!

Just throwing it out there in case you're in that area, I can't remember where you live.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:59 AM

814 posts, read 2,008,342 times
Are you talking about house paint or painting for art? Askew-Taylor does not have house paint, that I know of. For that, I got to Sherwin-Williams on Peace Street. Askew-Taylor is an amazing place to spend an hour or three, though.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:47 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,941,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usedtobe VaNC View Post
Are you talking about house paint or painting for art? Askew-Taylor does not have house paint, that I know of. For that, I got to Sherwin-Williams on Peace Street. Askew-Taylor is an amazing place to spend an hour or three, though.
They sold Benjamin Moore and Martin Señor for many years, but I haven't been there in a while.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:07 PM

810 posts, read 1,450,730 times
I'm talking some paints that would be used for houses but mostly enamels, stains, lacquers, fillers, all that stuff that falls between guys wearing white hats and overalls and guys wearing robes, beards, and berets.

I always thought that Sherwin Williams was McDonalds but I dropped into one today and was pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't want a relationship but they could be an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary