Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 05:08 AM

2 posts, read 1,781 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to the area to start a new position in Chapel Hill on Monday! I have move-in dates at two complexes (I haven't signed a lease yet) but cannot decide on which one.... please help!

The first place is Ashley Park at Brier Creek, seems really nice, wanted a 2 bdrm, completed application & leasing consultant called me the next morning to say another employee rented out the apartment as we were touring it yesterday (it was the only 2 bdRm available)... so went back to view the 1 bdrn w/ loft only because I was promised first choice of a two bedroom when one becomes available. (I was told a note would be placed in my file!) A lil' nervous about that... But unit comes with washer/dryer, intrusion alarm (already activated) and again, first choice on 2 bedroom should one become available! (hmmmmmmm....) It also will take 28 min to work vs the 18 min drive drom 2nd location.

Then, there is The Berkeley @ Southpoint. I loved this place! A lil' more costly, but gated just as Ashley... Just a lil' skeptical about Durham, there are so many stories about Durham! I liked the area, better than some of the other areas I've visited in Durham.....

Can anyone tell me what they know about these two complexes.... I would greatly appreciate it!!!!! TWO DAYS TO DECIDE!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 05:15 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
I would go with The Berkely at Southpoint. That is a nice area and will be a much easier drive to your job in Chapel Hill. That extra time will add up.

Don't sweat "the durham stories". First of all, Durham has a lot of cool stuff going on downtown that is worth checking out. Second of all while I love downtown Durham you need to realize that the Southpoint Area is the suburban area of Durham and not really part of the urban downtown area. Both have their attraction. Good Luck!

Old 01-05-2012, 05:35 AM

447 posts, read 1,619,949 times
Go with Southpoint. It's a good area and will definitely be much easier drive to Chapel Hill.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:51 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,622 times
Ditto what N. Raleigh Guy said... don't sweat the Durham stories.

Not sure where you are moving from but Durham is the same as most other cities. Use common sense (don't leave your car unlocked with the keys in the ignition & don't walk around with $$$ hanging out of your pocket, etc). There are a few areas to avoid, but you would find that in any larger city.

South Point is nice. I don't know the particular complex you mention, but there is a nice mall, many restaurants & a cute little vineyard down that way.

And don't be afraid to explore other areas. Durham covers a lot of square miles & has lots to offer. Add to that Chapel Hill, Cary, Raleigh and you'll be amazed how vibrant & busy the triangle is.

Top it off with the beach or mountains being a 4 hour drive away & you'll find this is just about the perfect location.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:28 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
Ditto all of the above! Southpoint is a great area!

Old 01-05-2012, 07:34 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,381 times
I don't know the complexes in question, but I have heard good things about the Southpoint area and it sounds like it is a closer match to what you really want and it is a bit closer to work which is important.

Make sure you keep doors locked, things not displayed in your car, always aware of surroundings, people following you, etc -- and that goes where ever you move to or driving around...common street sense goes a long way.

Good luck and welcome to the triangle!

Old 01-05-2012, 07:37 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
The area around Southpoint is a great location. It is very safe. You can always check crime reports on any area that you are considering.

I actually had 2 clients that lived at those apts. and they both enjoyed living there. Even though they are "gated", seems like so many of the residents give out their codes that I don't consider that to be a deterant to anyone! However, some folks just FEEL safer in a gated community! Just so you know, in this area (meaning the Triangle), gated communities aren't a big deal.

I don't know anything about the apts. at Brier Creek but that is a great location, as well. However, being closer to work would get my vote.

Vicki

Old 01-05-2012, 09:39 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Yeah, Brier Creek would be a hike to Chapel Hill, plus I wouldn't be positive that they will in fact give you the first 2 BR that comes along just because of a "note in your file".

Not that Durham is anywhere near as scary as its reputation (with some), but the Southpoint area in particular is not even like "Durham" per se. It's very new, suburban/mall culture like so many other new construction suburbs. Even if central/downtown Durham did have things to worry about, when your in the Southpoint neighborhoods, you would never realize you were in the same city as downtown.

Definitely go with the Durham location.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:14 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
Another vote for Southpoint. I would not want to commute from Brier Creek to Chapel Hill every day. I'd probably go crazy!

Old 01-05-2012, 12:14 PM

119 posts, read 394,196 times
I am going to reiterate Southpoint! Will you be working at UNC with the possibility of using a park & ride? Add about 15 minutes to your commute to account for bus time if so. Also, depending on how much you are working it will save much more time living closer to Chapel Hill. Durham & Chapel Hill have so much to offer so you will love being close to all of that, I would guess. I also work in Chapel Hill...good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary