Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2012, 06:26 AM

662 posts, read 1,645,358 times

Advertisements

We were out downtown and on Glenwood Avenue on New Year's eve, and I was tightly bundled in layers, sweaters, a coat, scarf, hat, and gloves. However, most of the other females I saw were dressed with much less - miniskirt, no leggings, heels, tank/halter top, and no coat/sweater/jacket. They looked really nice but I wondered how they managed against the cold, and the only thing I could figure is, they took a WARM pill.

Where can I get some of these for myself?

(Happy New Year everyone! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 06:29 AM

612 posts, read 1,281,136 times
Did you try the ABC store? I suspect that's where they got theirs.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:30 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,159,726 times
hah maybe they were Japanese or Korean. When I was over there I was always amazed at how little the women could wear in the dead of winter. I probably looked like a giant marshmallow to them!!

Old 01-06-2012, 09:51 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,102,859 times
In the Old Days (earlier in my life), women would never wear sleeveless tops/dresses in the winter except if they were going to an event in a formal gown.

These days, I'm always surprised to see news anchors and stars, especially on NYC shows, in sleeveless tops (and of course, mini-skirts) in the dead of winter. I know TV lights are hot, but geesh. I guess they like to show off their toned arms. Must be the First Lady influence on fashion.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:03 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,690,445 times
I was downtown at First Night and was very comfortable in a long sleeved t-shirt and denim jacket, jeans and sneakers. It was about 60 degrees when we left the house at 4pm. I'm sure the temp dropped as the sun went down but I never did feel cold. Granted, I was not in a miniskirt!

Sometimes I think it is a case of mind over matter. You expect it to be cold on New Years eve, so you bundle up. If you had taken off the woolies, you probably would have felt cold for a while, but then warmed up. Next time try leaving the house in fewer layers but bring the rest along in the car to add when you start feeling the chill.

After 17 years in NY, I'm chuckling that anyone has felt cold here this winter. One big difference I have noticed is the lack of wind chill. LOVE IT!

Old 01-06-2012, 02:51 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,102,859 times
Oh, First Night was WONDERFUL. The weather was incredibly comfortable. It's rarely that warm on New Year's Eve. I think everyone loved it.

I loved being on Fayetteville Street and seeing the ferris wheel and the crowds and the fireworks. It was like we were somewhere else. No, not France, but not downtown Raleigh, either.

It was a treat all the way around.

I don't think anyone is really complaining about the cold this winter. We had a lot of snow last year. This year, I'm still waiting for winter and wondering if it'll just skip us this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
I was downtown at First Night and was very comfortable in a long sleeved t-shirt and denim jacket, jeans and sneakers. It was about 60 degrees when we left the house at 4pm. I'm sure the temp dropped as the sun went down but I never did feel cold. Granted, I was not in a miniskirt!

Sometimes I think it is a case of mind over matter. You expect it to be cold on New Years eve, so you bundle up. If you had taken off the woolies, you probably would have felt cold for a while, but then warmed up. Next time try leaving the house in fewer layers but bring the rest along in the car to add when you start feeling the chill.

After 17 years in NY, I'm chuckling that anyone has felt cold here this winter. One big difference I have noticed is the lack of wind chill. LOVE IT!

Old 01-06-2012, 02:54 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,213,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
In the Old Days (earlier in my life), women would never wear sleeveless tops/dresses in the winter except if they were going to an event in a formal gown.

These days, I'm always surprised to see news anchors and stars, especially on NYC shows, in sleeveless tops (and of course, mini-skirts) in the dead of winter. I know TV lights are hot, but geesh. I guess they like to show off their toned arms. Must be the First Lady influence on fashion.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:21 PM

662 posts, read 1,645,358 times
lol, I'M complaining about the cold - but I complain every year! Actually I try not to complain, I just suck it up and deal with it. I'm a cold wimp - I'm not comfortable unless it's over 70 degrees, and anything below 50 is all the same to me! I realize I'm odd, but I'm not ashamed.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:05 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,092,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post

Well, why would you waste all that money on spray tans and personal trainers if you're not going to show it off all year?

I am very cold natured. I was in Charlotte for NYE and we stayed in. I hate the cold, but have not found it to be too much of a problem in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary