Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2012, 07:21 AM

5,882 posts, read 6,950,861 times

Advertisements

Where is a good place to get seeds for plants that do well here? In the past, I have ordered online from Parks, but their customer service can be erratic. I have not tried Burpees. Most of the local places all seem to carry Ferry-Morse.

I usually get a few flowers and veggies such as cukes and okra. I don't have much luck with pepper seeds, so I usually wait and buy seedlings locally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 07:31 AM

533 posts, read 1,198,810 times
Another on-line source, but I usually order seeds from Bakers Creek Heirloom Seeds. They have a phenominal variety of seeds to choose from. I can't speak directly about their customer service, as I've never had a reason to contact them. I've always received my on-line orders quickly and have been happy with the amount and quality of the seeds. I highly recommend them.

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds - 1400 heirloom garden seeds!

Old 01-07-2012, 03:20 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,573,488 times
Southern States has stores throughout the triangle.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:29 PM

924 posts, read 2,103,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
Southern States has stores throughout the triangle.
There's one in Garner and one in Carrboro. That's it, right? That's not exactly "throughout the triangle," is it?

Old 01-08-2012, 11:26 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,282,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompope View Post
There's one in Garner and one in Carrboro. That's it, right? That's not exactly "throughout the triangle," is it?
I was going to rebut your post, I did a google search and am saddened to say many of the Southern States are now gone.

In Durham (as I haven't bought from other areas) I'd go with Stone Brothers & Byrd (near the old ballpark) or Barnes Supply(9th street).

Last edited by rockinmomma; 01-08-2012 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-08-2012, 02:02 PM

84 posts, read 253,563 times
Just don't get your seeds where this poor lady did.

Pa. grandma says she was duped by stranger's seeds - WTOP.com

Old 01-08-2012, 02:13 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
I like getting my seeds at Logan's Trading Company in downtown Raleigh. In addition to national seed brands they also carry seeds from a local seed company out of Garner, NC called Wyatt Quarles.

wyatt-quarles seeds-where beautiful gardens are born

Old 01-08-2012, 02:32 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,336,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I like getting my seeds at Logan's Trading Company in downtown Raleigh. In addition to national seed brands they also carry seeds from a local seed company out of Garner, NC called Wyatt Quarles.

wyatt-quarles seeds-where beautiful gardens are born
Logan's has a ton of variety of seeds. They have (usually) the interesting types of tomato seeds which are not generally sold in stores.

Southern States became Family Home and Garden, and they have locations in Cary/Raleigh and also Cary/Apex.

I grew peppers from seed last year for the first time. I started them inside in Feb/March, and did not set them outside until much later. They are slow to get started and like HOT weather. I had so much success I gave gobs of them away each week during the summer. It blows my mind now to walk into Harris Teeter and see a sweet red pepper for $2.99!!! Anyway, try it! The key is keeping the seedlings WARM and with plenty of light (I used shop lights).

Oh, there's a place on the Cary/Raleigh border called Fifth Season. It's a very small shop, but they carry some interesting seeds. That's where I got my Italian sweet pepper seeds (Corni di Toro) last year.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:31 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,472 times
I'll second Stone Brothers. Another option would be the Durham Garden Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary