Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 02:02 PM

754 posts, read 1,693,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidlkcf View Post
I haven't seen a post on this within the last year, so wanted to start a new one.
Are you serious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 02:29 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,939,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
We've had DirecTV for almost three years now and have no complaints. Customer service has always been great, although rarely needed them. And the box only briefly went out twice in very severe weather for 5-10 min. We will definitely miss Direct if we can't have satellite when we move. Don't look forward to possibly having TWC again.
Agreed. I've had Direct TV for nearly 5 years and when I recently called support, they gave me a new HD-DVR (free of charge ) to replace my old one. Also gave me the wireless modem for on-demand. What do they get out of it? Loyalty, I guess. No 2 year sign-up period, no extra fees. They realize it's a competitive environment.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:34 PM

107 posts, read 143,823 times
DIRECTV all the way. Way better HD programming and the HDDVR holds way more content. DIRECTV keeps giving us upgraded equipment for free.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:43 PM

4 posts, read 21,148 times
Default Thank you!

Thank you for all the input. It seems clear that we would not make a mistake by switch to satellite. Now, I'll research DISH more. We don't care about the extra sports package, just ESPN, so maybe that's the way to go. I just don't know anyone who's ever had DISH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldamon View Post
Are you serious?

I did a search on this topic in the Raleigh section and only saw a discussion from 2009. Maybe I did a lousy search. Sorry.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:10 PM

441 posts, read 1,291,697 times
I dropped TWC today and had Direct installed last Sat. The difference in picture quality and customer service is like night and day, they installed 6 receivers all new no used junk like TWC. Yes the cost is less with the promo but even when that is gone I still will be getting a better deal than TWC.

Last edited by dchz1; 01-09-2012 at 04:25 PM..

Old 01-09-2012, 05:25 PM

450 posts, read 1,350,626 times
We have DISH and have been very happy with it - we have an old HD package that's no longer available, but it meets our needs perfectly, for a great price, and we're grandfathered in for as long as they'll allow it. Our DVR died a couple of months ago, and we were afraid we'd have trouble replacing it and staying grandfathered in our package, but it was no problem at all to have it replaced, kept our same deal (that we've had for 3 or 4 years now - the price has increased $5 once in that time). Picture, DVR, customer service, etc. has been great, no major problems with outages (a lot fewer than internet outages with TWC). Am very intrigued by the DISH Broadband mentioned in a previous post. . .

Old 01-09-2012, 06:04 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,236,855 times
We had direct tv, but when we moved here we couldn't have it anymore because there are too many trees obscuring the area the satellite would need to be. So, we are stuck with twc, bummer because I think direct tv is definitely better!

Old 01-10-2012, 07:15 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,472 times
We have Direct TV. Did at our last house too. Like the options & really like the extras (NHL Center Ice, MLB, etc). It can add up, so pay attention to what all you are getting or your bill will be just as expensive as with cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
The only other time it went out was last Christmas when we had snow. Snow build up on the dish will kill your signal.
Not that we get snow here that often, but a trick for that is to spray your dish (the bowl part not the other pieces) with a no-stick cooking spray. Makes the snow slide right off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave in jersey View Post
We just got an email from DTV about a 4% increase in our bill. We've been with DTV for about 14-15 years and would never go back to cable. But if DTV keeps raising their prices, we may look into other options such as Hulu.
We got the same e-mail. Give them a call. I did this morning & asked to drop one of our add-on packages. Of course they ask why.... well because the bill is going up & it is out of budget.
Low & behold she found a $5/month discount on the package we wanted to drop good for 6 months. Pretty much negates the price increase. Convenient that she found that offer, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
We had direct tv, but when we moved here we couldn't have it anymore because there are too many trees obscuring the area the satellite would need to be. So, we are stuck with twc, bummer because I think direct tv is definitely better!
That is a good point - your landscape can be a problem. If you have lots of trees or other buildings you may have issues. And even if it isn't an issue now, those trees grow so it could be in a few years. So have them look long & hard at things so you don't have them back in a couple years moving the dish again for you.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:59 AM

38 posts, read 68,015 times
I've had Time Warner and switched to Direct TV and couldn't be happier, i still use TWC for my internet and i still have issues with them even doing that properly. Not to mention Direct Tv broadcasts in 1080i instead of TWC broadcasting in 480 or 720

Also if you sign up and you get a fellow DirectTV owneres account number you'll get $100 in bill credits, and so will that person who has the account number.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:16 AM

531 posts, read 1,982,760 times
Default Dish VIP722k DVR is a real electricity hog

We've had Dish for about 1.5 years (after having TWC) and have not had many issues other than those brought about by snow and rain. For some, the energy usage of the DVR can be a downer. I've put ours on a timer so that it shuts off for a good part of every 24 hours (and reset the time when it checks with the satellite for programming--Dish lets you do that). Google 'VIP722k' and you'll see there's been a lot of complaints about that model's energy wastage. It does provide a good bit of heat!

With DISH, we pay about $45 per month for the 'two tuner' option and DVR. This allows us to record one show while watching another. This is less functionality than you get with TWC for the same price. The cable itself functions as an always-on tuner--with $45 TWC we could record two shows while watching a third. A minor annoyance which tends to worsen during football season and the month of March!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary