Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 11:25 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassy&bold View Post
Also, as a former EMT. One should NEVER pull into the middle of an intersection to wait to make a left turn. The incidence of a major T-Type accident go up ten fold!
I handled accident claims for almost 20 years in NY and never once had a claim where this happened, and that's how you're taught to approach left turns in NY so EVERYONE does it. T-bones usually happen when someone runs a traffic control device.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 11:41 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
One thing I notice here that I like that I have not seen elsewhere - if there are 2 left turning lanes at a light, nearly everyone gets in the left lane.
Ahh, yes, brings to mind one of my other major irritations here: Why does NC DOT not have a consistent design for merging lanes on the I-40 on-ramps? At some places, the two lanes merge right into a single lane before merging left onto the highway. At others, the two lanes merge left. (Which to me seems to be the correct design - everything merges left as it continues onto the highway.)

Old 01-12-2012, 12:40 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I doubt there are that many drunk drivers out there during the day. More than likely they are posting on Facebook from their Smartphones. I almost got hit by one of these idiots the other day....all over the road and when I finally passed her she was texting away. I guess something really pressing was happening on that SUnday morning.
Nope, they were drunk, or on drugs. I saw their faces as I tried unsuccessfully to pass each of them. One I was behind for approx 30 miles. they weren't on the phone or touching anything but the wheel. But I have seen what you are talking about.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:17 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post

One thing I notice here that I like that I have not seen elsewhere - if there are 2 left turning lanes at a light, nearly everyone gets in the left lane.
People have learned to avoid that right side left turn lane....because a lot of people in that left lane will swerve over into the right lane about half way through the intersection!!!! You're not supposed to do that, nor are you supposed to go to the far right lane while turning left at an intersection with only 1 turn lane. People do this one wrong all the time as well. Cars turning left at a light, have the RIGHT to the innermost lane, the left lane and the left lane only. But people will swing across the other lanes every time.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:23 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
...nor are you supposed to go to the far right lane while turning left at an intersection with only 1 turn lane. People do this one wrong all the time as well. Cars turning left at a light, have the RIGHT to the innermost lane, the left lane and the left lane only. But people will swing across the other lanes every time.
That's not correct. A left turner may complete the turn into any through lane unless lane markers or signage indicates otherwise.

Quote:
The driver of a vehicle intending to turn left at any intersection shall approach the intersection in the extreme left‑hand lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the direction of travel of that vehicle, and, after entering the intersection, the left turn shall be made so as to leave the intersection in a lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the direction upon the roadway being entered.
The law says nothing about a specific lane...just "a lane lawfully available to traffic".

GS_20-153

Old 01-12-2012, 03:27 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
That's not correct. A left turner may complete the turn into any through lane unless lane markers or signage indicates otherwise. The law says nothing about a specific lane...just "a lane lawfully available to traffic".
That's correct - right turns are restricted to turning into the right lane only; left turns have no such restriction.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:27 PM

84 posts, read 253,587 times
So far I've found drivers to be pretty good here. I have yet to see any egregious displays poor driving habits. Not so impressed with the roads outside of the Triangle but then again Virginia isn't exactly known for their phenomenal job of keeping their roads in good shape either except for Richmond. NoVA is horrific.

But back to the main topic, I think you should all go drive the Beltway one day (you don't even have to drive during rush hour!) to truly see how terrible drivers can really be. You'll be SO VERY happy to live here. :-) I certainly am!

Old 01-12-2012, 04:27 PM

247 posts, read 452,332 times
My biggest issues are tailgating and not slowing down, moving to the right and letting emergency vehicles pass.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:38 PM

286 posts, read 685,394 times
It seems to me that there is a strange mix of drivers here in the Triangle. There are some who are super aggressive but there are also those who are so super cautious that they become a hazard as well. That's where I have a hard time. In other places I've lived, there doesn't seem to be such a wide variety of drivers. I'm used to just assuming everyone wants to run me over. Here, some want to run me over and some want to stop on the interstate to let me know it's safe to merge into their lane whether I planned to merge or not.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:40 PM

96 posts, read 147,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I handled accident claims for almost 20 years in NY and never once had a claim where this happened, and that's how you're taught to approach left turns in NY so EVERYONE does it. T-bones usually happen when someone runs a traffic control device.
It's actually illegal in NY to enter an intersection until you can clear the intersection, so you may have been taught to do something illegal. I'm not saying I don't do it too often, but it's illegal there and probably illegal here. I'm guessing it's a lot less common down here because so many lights have specific left hand turn lights, which seem to be so much less common up North (at least in my corner of Western NY).

PS for a factoid: In Pittsburgh, there is something known as the Pittsburgh Left to ensure that some cars can make a left turn. Basically if you are sitting at a red light and the car across from you is sitting there with their left turn signal on, you let them turn before you start going straight. Maybe less interesting to everyone else than to me. If you've driven in Pittsburgh, you might realize how necessary this maneuver is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary