Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,131 times

Advertisements

I live in North Durham & there are plenty of areas fitting your descriptions. You could search in the 27712 or 27705 zip code areas. Definetly look around the Willowhaven / Umstead Road / Cole Mill Road areas. Also, check out the Durham Farmers Market. It's small enough to have that local feel but large enough for a great variety of things. Their site is Durham Farmers Market - North Carolina - Local Produce and Crafts for Durham, Raleigh, Chapel Hill Cary and the Triangle. This area puts you convenient to Chapel Hill/Carrboro & Hillsborough. RDU is door to parking lot 30 minutes, pretty straight shot, maybe less but a jew a few minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 06:58 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,355,255 times
My wife and I are moving to Treyburn just north of Durham. We have lived in Cary, and liked it, but had a small yard which bothered me more than her. The place we found in Treyburn has room for a garden, and the area seemed like a good mix of ages. We first found Treyburn three years ago when we moved to the triangle, but thought it would be too far from my work. Now I can work from my home half the time and on the road the rest. Treyburn is safe for when I am away, homes set on from half and acre to several acres, people are friendly and very active with walkers, runners, bikers, golfers, and tennis player out every day. Prices are down from when we looked the first time, but those off Vintage Hill dr. are still pricey. I think the thing I noticed first was how quite it was. There is lots of wildlife in the area, I have seen Bald eagles, Fox squirrels, deer, several types of wood peckers just to mention a few. If you are looking to move into the triangle I would sure give the area a look. Lots of homes in a range of sizes. You can check them out on www. realestate.com under Treyburn, Durham, NC

Old 01-17-2012, 07:16 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,472 times
I'll second North Durham. We have a half-acre off of N. Roxboro that has several fruit trees & grape arbor along with a nice garden and putting in an herb garden this spring.

We are in an older ('70's) neighborhood so no HOA (which eliminates rules on gardens, fences, bird feeders etc). We do try to be good neighbors and ask before doing too much or working near the property line. And we share the garden goodies so the immediate neighbors maybe don't mind as much knowing they are going to get fresh goodies.

The ride to the airport for us is about 45 minutes. We are 6 miles from downtown Durham (ditto what others said about the Durham Farmers' Market). Chapel Hill is a half hour-ish depending on exactly where you are going.

Nice thing about Durham, I think home prices are a little less. The perception is schools are bad in Durham, so I think fewer people with kids are looking to move here. Which means a similar house in Durham may be a bit cheaper than in another area that is believed to have better schools. Since you have no concerns that way it may allow you to get a better price or more land for the $$ than elsewhere.

Once you get here & settled check out the Durham County Extension. They offer free soil testing, workshops and all types of support services. I've been to several free seminars through them. And even the ones that have a fee are very reasonable.

Additionaly, check out the UNC Botanical Garden & Duke Gardens. Beautiful gardens and walking paths at both. They also have plant sales, workshops, master gardeners available to you and all sorts of resources.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:03 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,472 times
Another resource for you that I tripped across last night is the Durham Garden Forum. They meet once a month & have different speakers & topics. $25/year or $10 per speaker if you choose not to officially join the group.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:54 PM

22 posts, read 60,407 times
Wow, thanks everybody, you've all been so helpful and friendly, it's giving me a really good feeling about moving to the area!

North Durham looks like a winner. Time to do some research on the recommended neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary