Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 02:53 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
We don't even have average transit around here.
It's more a matter of a lack of political will over the past (60+) years...
Raleigh used to have a trolley system. A TV story (today 1/19)
Raleigh trolley tracks reappear in roundabout way :: WRAL.com

I'd be curious to see the service map of that old trolley system
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 03:12 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
Quote:
lack of political will over the past (60+) years...
hah true.

I know that parts of the streetcars ran down Hillsborough Street and down Glenwood past Five Points.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:25 PM

378 posts, read 974,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
keep in mind "way the hell out into the suburbs" is not as far out in Portland as it can be here.

Portland to Gresham 16 mi
Portland to Beaverton 8 mi
Portland to Hillsboro 21 mi
Portland to Clackamas 12 mi

Portland and even it's surround burbs are much more dense than here.

Raleigh to Wake Forest 17 mi.
Raleigh to Clayton 19 mi
Raleigh to Durham 28 mi
Raleigh to Chapel Hill 32 mi
And then of course Chapel Hill to Clayton would be over 50 miles. The Triangle is much more spread out.

From Downtown Portland you can travel 50 miles and be in the wilderness of Mt. Hood National Forest. That part of the country is just a different beast.

And to the other poster about the fiscal health of Oregon, I'm not going to get into a huge debate about that, because Oregon does have some smaller counties in the South that may have to dissolve this summer and have the state take them over. And the tax structure in the state does already put more of a burden on the Portland Metro area. It's no New York in terms of taxes and expenses. But it is more expensive than here. I don't necessarily think things like Tri-Met has made it more inexpensive though. Instead it's way more complex than just that.

I moved from Cameron Village to downtown Portland and I'd agree that the public transit is light years ahead of Raleigh. In fact that's been one of the major decisions we'll have to make if (and when) we move back to Raleigh. When we moved here we sold my wife's car and between the MAX train, Streecar & zip-car availability there hasn't been any need for 2 cars. It helps we live in downtown and her job is downtown as well. I used to live in Cameron Village and as much as I'd like to say moving to downtown proper is ideal, in Raleigh I think we'll probably end up back in CV if only for the grocery/nightlife/walking to Glenwood S. One thing that I've fallen in love with out here is walking wherever you want. If someone lives in Cary, Apex or ever more than a mile away from the downtown core it's just not realistic to walk (especially during July-Sept). I'd love to move to the RBC (or whatever the new name is) but I don't think I can handle driving to the grocery store - it's just been so nice only driving 2 times a week. Working from home is the best.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:42 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,689,217 times
Really? The Worst thing about Raleigh? I've been here 7 months and I've got NOTHING. There is not one single aspect of living here I have a problem with.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:15 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,150,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeandmich View Post
What is the worst thing about living in the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary triangle area to you?
Reading all the threads on CD about what is so bad about our area

(Sorry if this was already said, I only read the first page of replies...)

Old 01-19-2012, 04:22 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
Really? The Worst thing about Raleigh? I've been here 7 months and I've got NOTHING. There is not one single aspect of living here I have a problem with.
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
Reading all the threads on CD about what is so bad about our area

(Sorry if this was already said, I only read the first page of replies...)
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Not having time to eat all the great Eastern NC Cue that I can find!
=

Yep.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:38 PM

182 posts, read 386,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwilsonbsee View Post
I moved from Cameron Village to downtown Portland and I'd agree that the public transit is light years ahead of Raleigh. In fact that's been one of the major decisions we'll have to make if (and when) we move back to Raleigh. When we moved here we sold my wife's car and between the MAX train, Streecar & zip-car availability there hasn't been any need for 2 cars. It helps we live in downtown and her job is downtown as well. I used to live in Cameron Village and as much as I'd like to say moving to downtown proper is ideal, in Raleigh I think we'll probably end up back in CV if only for the grocery/nightlife/walking to Glenwood S. One thing that I've fallen in love with out here is walking wherever you want. If someone lives in Cary, Apex or ever more than a mile away from the downtown core it's just not realistic to walk (especially during July-Sept). I'd love to move to the RBC (or whatever the new name is) but I don't think I can handle driving to the grocery store - it's just been so nice only driving 2 times a week. Working from home is the best.
I've been to a lot of cities and nowhere comes close to Portland. stayed in the NW area several times and love it. you can walk to just about anything. best beer town on earth maybe

Old 01-19-2012, 06:06 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexWolfpacker View Post
I've been to a lot of cities and nowhere comes close to Portland.
stayed in the NW area several times and love it.
How many of those visits were at this time of year?
I've always like the area too... but just can't do the rain.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:38 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
Quote:
If someone lives in Cary, Apex or ever more than a mile away from the downtown core it's just not realistic to walk (especially during July-Sept).
Hey now, I live in Cary and tonight my husband and I walked to a bar, had a beer, then walked to Trader Joe's and bought stuff to make dinner. We debated then walking to the park with our pup but at that point we were too blitz on Three Buck Chuck to care

Old 01-20-2012, 04:59 AM

286 posts, read 685,512 times
I've been thinking about this thread for a couple of days now and I have to say that I can't really think of anything without stretching it. I love the heat, love the humidity. I wish it was summer right now! I thought last winter was a pain in the butt because of the ice/snow issues. My office stays open no matter what the weather so even if everything else is closed, I still have to try my best to get to work. And even that can't be about living in the Triangle because it's not a Triangle thing, it's a company thing. Darn it, I guess I like living here.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary