Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 12:56 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times

Advertisements

August.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 01:08 PM

133 posts, read 331,380 times
The summer heat is definately terrible. I would also include a few other things; none of which would get me to leave right now considering what a great place this is to raise a family.

1. The heat
2. The lack of a "great city". Raleigh & Durham have some things going for them but lack the feel of a "big city"...something I hear quite often from people that have moved here from Boston, New York, DC, Pittsburgh, etc.
3. The lack of non-chain restaurants. I think the triangle suffers from a severe lack of pubs and good restaurants. There are definately some goods ones but they are far and few in between with way too many Applebees, Olive Gardens, TGI Fridays, etc.
4. Bad chinese food!!
5. How inconvenienced people are here if they have to drive more than 15 minutes to get anywhere.
6. No professional baseball or football team. The Hurricanes are great and that is a good time but the lack of "big time" pro sports is something I miss. Now, related somewhat to my 2nd point, if the Hurricanes played in downtown Raleigh, that is something that would contribute towards that "big city feel"

Just me two cents.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:34 PM

804 posts, read 2,004,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPPWUS View Post
3. The lack of non-chain restaurants. I think the triangle suffers from a severe lack of pubs and good restaurants. There are definately some goods ones but they are far and few in between with way too many Applebees, Olive Gardens, TGI Fridays, etc.
5. How inconvenienced people are here if they have to drive more than 15 minutes to get anywhere.
you must not get out much. there are a ridiculous amount of local eateries in downtown raleigh & some of the surrounding areas, not to mention that durham & chapel hill certainly hold their own as foodie destinations (i just happen to know more about raleigh).

as for the inconvenience thing -- i find that interesting as that has been nothing like my experience. most people i hear complaining about driving 15+ minutes to get somewhere are transplants who find it obnoxious since their respective homes always had something closer.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:38 PM

310 posts, read 575,632 times
Quote:
6. No professional baseball or football team. The Hurricanes are great and that is a good time but the lack of "big time" pro sports is something I miss. Now, related somewhat to my 2nd point, if the Hurricanes played in downtown Raleigh, that is something that would contribute towards that "big city feel"
Funny, I was thinking the thing I miss the most is going to minor league hockey games. When I went to AHL games I would pay $25 for lower level seats on the blue line and see a fairly high quality of play and be in and out of the parking lot in 5 minutes. I've been to one Hurricanes game, and after paying 3x as much to sit 3x further away and take 10x as long to get out of the parking lot I'm not too excited about going to another one.

It's all a mater of perspective, but the summers here are downright balmy in my frame of reference.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:52 PM

477 posts, read 1,419,086 times
Quote:
Wow, you need to try some of the over 70 restaurants participating in Triangle Restaurant Week starting Monday! I think you might be pleasantly surprised!
TRW Restaurants - Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill (http://www.blvd.tv/trw/restaurants/ - broken link)

Old 01-18-2012, 01:59 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Not being able to find a decent snow shovel or car ice scraper for when it snows/ices.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:23 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,423,346 times
Quote:
As other posters have mentioned, I find this strange. We eat out a lot and almost never eat at chain restaurants. My son is a chef in NYC and is quite impressed with the variety of amazing restaurants in our area. He frequently mentions what a great "foodie town" Durham is. You need to venture out!

Old 01-18-2012, 02:27 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunomom View Post
Wow, you need to try some of the over 70 restaurants participating in Triangle Restaurant Week starting Monday! I think you might be pleasantly surprised!
TRW Restaurants - Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill (http://www.blvd.tv/trw/restaurants/ - broken link)
Oh sweet I forgot this was coming up!

Old 01-18-2012, 02:42 PM

533 posts, read 1,198,909 times
The awful clay soil that foils my every attempt at gardening.

Considering that this is my biggest complaint - I think we have it pretty great here.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:43 PM

554 posts, read 1,154,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea1107 View Post
The awful clay soil that foils my every attempt at gardening.

Considering that this is my biggest complaint - I think we have it pretty great here.

Oh yea, this. To me, this is worse than the humidity in summer. Although raised garden beds do help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary