Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 07:12 PM
CXN CXN started this thread

23 posts, read 38,201 times

Advertisements

I hope my wish list can be fulfilled... We'll see.

I'm looking to relocate to a place where:
There are plenty of fun/family things to do with children 3-16 within 10-20 minutes;
A "rainbow" family of diverse backgrounds and ethnicities is welcome;
The houses are spaced apart, at least 1/4 acre;
Horse riding trails, along with reputable stables and horse people, too, are within 10-20 minutes;
Schools are above average;
Homeschool is not frowned upon (and there is a sizable homeschooling network/community);
Airplane/train noise is not heard;
Whole Foods and a local farmer's market are within 10-20 minutes;
Nighttime does not mean dangertime;
Stargazing is possible from my back deck;
Hospitals and specialty physicians are close;
Mostly middle-class and above surrounds the house/neighborhood.

Any suggestions for specific areas/neighborhoods/cities/zip codes?
I know there is a place in the Triangle like this. Oh, and I'm looking to rent in the area before buying to get the feel. We're not native to NC, and I want to make sure I want to stay in the area (and our friends and family want to visit!) before committing to a mortgage.

I've landed in Southpoint for the time being, as it's the central point of the Triangle from what I researched before arriving, and I'm using this area as my "lookout tower." So far I like it, but it's a bit too suburban for my taste. I say "too" suburban because while I do like the neighborhoods, the houses are much too close together. Is there a place near Southpoint I'm missing? There doesn't seem to be many child-oriented activities places here, like the Sportsplex in Hillsborough or the Dream Sports Center in Apex. Plus, I hear the planes and trains here, which is a bit disturbing (especially since my 3-year-old repeats, "What's that sound?" until I answer... every single time a plan or train passes by).

I'd appreciate the helpful insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 07:37 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,735 times
Pretty much any older neighborhood around here will meet your criteria except for stargazing. For that you'll have to drive out to the countryside for a good look at the stars.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Pretty much any older neighborhood around here will meet your criteria except for stargazing. For that you'll have to drive out to the countryside for a good look at the stars.
Where do you mean by "here"?

Old 01-18-2012, 08:20 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,735 times
Chapel Hill, Durham, Raleigh. Maybe not Cary. I've yet to be somewhere in Cary where you didn't hear the train sometimes.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:28 PM

I've also heard the train here in Southpoint (Durham), along with the airplane noises.

I'd like to get out and check out some of the older neighborhoods you mentioned. Any in particular you recommend?

Note: Even though we'll be homeschooling, I want to be near good schools for the playmate factor. Maybe I'll use the schools as a hub and move out from there...

Old 01-18-2012, 08:35 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
<20 minutes to Whole Foods
<20 minutes to horses
<20 minutes to kid fun
No planes or trains.
I'm thinking Swift Creek area.
Maybe NewUser could confirm a fit.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:05 PM

924 posts, read 2,103,557 times
Yeah, I think the toughest part of this is going to be having the Whole Foods within 10-20 minutes. Two areas came immediately to mind for me: southern Wake County, since the land actually gets quite rural-feeling quite quickly south of Raleigh and Cary, yet still close enough to be convenient to kid-friendly amenities and many places are within 10-20 minutes of the Whole Foods at Waverly in Cary, and the area just north of Chapel Hill, north of I-40, like the corridor around Whitfield Road and that area, which is also pleasantly quasi-rural, yet very convenient, and probably within 10-20 minutes of the Whole Foods at Eastgate. Unfortunately, that's about as much specificity as I think I can provide. Good luck!

Old 01-18-2012, 09:13 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
I think such an area exists, but whether or not the right housing is available to you will depend on your price point. Having good schools, land, and easy access to ammenities like hospitals and upscale shopping like Whole Foods usually bumps up the price tag.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I think such an area exists, but whether or not the right housing is available to you will depend on your price point. Having good schools, land, and easy access to amenities like hospitals and upscale shopping like Whole Foods usually bumps up the price tag.
I used to think so, too, before moving here.

Currently, I'm in a very nice small suburban neighborhood with homes ranging $120K-230K, built within the last 4-10 years, and 1200-2500sf. I'm within 2 miles of fantastic Southpoint Mall, 15 minutes (at or below speed limit, mind you) from Whole Foods in Durham, and 20 minutes from Whole Foods in Chapel Hill. Actually, I can reach anywhere in the core Triangle within 30 minutes, adding an extra 5-15 for all peripheral areas. It's the most diverse neighborhood I have ever experienced, and all my neighbors (yes, ALL) are terrific.

Wow, it sounds like I've just talked myself into staying in this area...

The thing is, I can't stay in this house (perfect except the broken foundation and the steep no-yard hill in back). All I need is a bit more space, really. I can actually deal with the planes and train if I were in the perfect locale (it's not as loud here as other places... I was griping in my original post).

Old 01-18-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
<20 minutes to Whole Foods
<20 minutes to horses
<20 minutes to kid fun
No planes or trains.
I'm thinking Swift Creek area.
Maybe NewUser could confirm a fit.
Swift Creek area? I'm intrigued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary