Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 08:14 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbjjbtb View Post
Thanks for all the info. I checked and I think that they tied their line onto the orig. stick at the back of the property. Now I have this line that goes the length of both of our properties. The original surveyor no longer works for the company who did the survey in 1996. I was told I would have to have a new survey done if I want further clarification. I know the distance in between my home and the property line at the front but I don't know exactly what it is going to the back of the property as the lot isn't square. This is a huge headache. I have a feeling this could cost quite a bit to have it redone and I'm not really in the position to do so at this time.
I tried reaching the realtor who sold the house to us but he apparently doesn't work for the company any more. I have one number for him but don't know how to locate where he works now.
You may be able to get a quick number for the back of your lot, but nothing as good as a stamped survey.

Go to Wakegov, and input your name or address. Click "Go."

In the row of navigation buttons over your account, click "Map."
In the information box on the right side, go to the bottom where there is a row of icons.
Click the clipboard that reopens the information panel, and you should see a row of topics near the top. To the far right, see "Book of Maps." Clicking "View" under "Book of Maps" will give you the plat as recorded for your phase of your subdivision.

If the back of the lot is a straight line, you should be able to see the recorded dimension. But, a survey opinion could vary, so that is why a survey is best.

Good luck, because this stuff can be unnerving, for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 08:55 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
I'm confused. If your neighbor was denied approval for the structure what are you worried about. Did he just move the stake and it bothers you or is there some dispute about the property line.

My neighbor and i have a patch of woods and some turf between our property. The woods are the natural division line but not the legal lines. He was not cutting the grass closer to our side and every time I cut our grass with the riding lawn mower I hit the stake, eventually breaking it off. It doesn't seem to matter to either one of us. Surely we are not expected to keep and look at a stick with a pink plastic tie on it for the whole time we live in a house?

Old 01-19-2012, 09:02 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,756,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I had a survey done a few months ago and it was $300 for a 1/4 acre property that is a funky shape. So if it does come down to needing a new survey done at least you have an idea of how much it might run you.
Also, another local posted recently said in a similar thread that if you need just one side surveyed it would run about $100. So it might be worth getting that one side done.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:37 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,415 times
Suggestion: Move the stick back to where it should be. Or take it down entirely. That should foil their evil plans.

And I'm not being sarcastic. If they moved the stick thinking they were going to fool the HOA or someone else into thinking the property line was somewhere other than it was, odds are they moved in farther into your lot, so you have every right to take it down.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:32 PM

181 posts, read 387,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
Suggestion: Move the stick back to where it should be. Or take it down entirely. That should foil their evil plans.

And I'm not being sarcastic. If they moved the stick thinking they were going to fool the HOA or someone else into thinking the property line was somewhere other than it was, odds are they moved in farther into your lot, so you have every right to take it down.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:50 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,154,735 times
"Oops, I must have hit it with my lawnmower and chopped it up. My bad!"

Old 01-20-2012, 01:00 PM

273 posts, read 619,190 times
Simpler approach, just write a letter to the people who have the authority to approve or deny the structure, and explain in clear, plain easy to understand language that the applicant (your neighbor) is trying to defraud them by moving markers to get his structure approved. That should fix it, I would think!

Old 01-20-2012, 03:52 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,408 times
A firm quoted me $400 for our acre and a half, so I just got a copy of the plat, armed myself with a rented metal detector, and found the buried irons in a jiffy. If you know where at least one corner is, you can measure out the proper distance from that and search around the area.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:05 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Document all of this aggravation, if need be, take your neighbors to small claims and make them pay for the new survey. Why did the city deny them, you may want that info, it may help prove malice and intent......I would be livid if my neighbors did this.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:19 PM

31 posts, read 81,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCanWrite View Post
A firm quoted me $400 for our acre and a half, so I just got a copy of the plat, armed myself with a rented metal detector, and found the buried irons in a jiffy. If you know where at least one corner is, you can measure out the proper distance from that and search around the area.
I used this same practice over 2 years ago when a neighbor was upset that I was trimming some small trees on her property. Rented a metal detector and started circling an area the property line had to be in. This neighbor came out and was mad that I was doing this telling me she knew where her property line started. She actually brought out a lawn chair and sat in her front yard to watch me. After a short while I found the buried pipe and motioned for her to come over. The trees were on my side by several feet and she told me that was not the property line pipe (even though it has frayed orange tape).

Another neighbor came over to see what was going on and affirmed "it sure looks like the property pipe" and he went to his workshop then reappeared with another iron pipe about 4 feet in length, sledge hammer and can of orange spray paint. He put this new pipe in the ground leaving the last foot exposed then spray it bright orange. It's not a hazard as it's in the very end of a flower garden.

I then trimmed my trees and today can stand on my porch and see, without a doubt, where my property line is. No more hassles with the neighbor either.

Good Luck.... but, claim your property!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary