Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2012, 06:13 PM

449 posts, read 699,855 times

Advertisements

It's me again… New fences, now this?

Yeah. We have a range hood now but it's not vented to outdoors, so it only 'filters' what's coming from the stovetop and blows it back into the house.

The small house.

What was for dinner yesterday? Three sniffs and take a guess

I see ventilating range hoods in the big box stores, but we're not up for doing the installation ourselves. The electrical is in place, but the ductwork would be a first-time installation, with cutting through a plaster ceiling (93-year old house) and roof.

Anyone have tips and recommendations about getting this type of work done?

Thank you again!

Last edited by weblackey; 01-20-2012 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 07:59 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
it's an HVAC job. and definitely don't ever cut through your roof when a pro will do it right the first time. I'm guessing you live in a ranch?

edited to remove ? about your location. I see you're in HG now.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:27 PM

Default Yeah, not a ranch ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
it's an HVAC job. and definitely don't ever cut through your roof when a pro will do it right the first time. I'm guessing you live in a ranch?

edited to remove ? about your location. I see you're in HG now.
It's a 94 year old bungalow… (not 93, oops, happy new year everyone!)

And we have no leaks, it's a really solid house… no leaky roof, a dry basement… don't want to mess that up either!

Old 01-20-2012, 09:42 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,839,827 times
Just as an alternate suggestion; you can replace with range with a downdraft model and carry the vent through the basement to the exterior. It would probably be quite a bit easier, although more expensive in all likelihood due to the cost of the range itself.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:38 PM

That's definitely not in the budget… but it would look better and going through the basement would not be likely to damage anything. I've read though that those don't work as well as the usual above the stove type.

Do you have anyone in mind who'd be good for this work?

Old 01-21-2012, 07:18 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
We recently did just such a project - removed a microwave hood that just recirculated the exhaust and installed an exterior vented range hood. We used a general contractor who does a lot of work in our neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary