Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 12:16 PM

4 posts, read 12,405 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

I've searched threads with matches here-and-there, but nothing that speaks directly to our situation. I'll try to be as short as possible.

My wife and I (newly married and 30), have a job offer in Durham. We currently live in NYC on the Upper West Side (doesn't really matter), and we've been down to visit the Durham, Chappell Hill, Raleigh area over MLK weekend.

We wanted so desperately to love the area, but our overall feeling was that there was nothing to do. The threads mention great restaurants, bars and neighborhoods to stay away from or move to, but nothing about hiking the area, a swimming hole (if there is one) or really anything to do.

We're not looking for a total match to NYC, but we aren't interested in a house with a lot of land. Ideally, we'd love a loft or a small cute home in a neighborhood that felt neighborhoody, with places to walk to and friendly people.

Our fear would be that we'd go to work and have the option of going out to dinner, and that would really be it. Please tell us there's more! We want to love it so much!

Have any newlyweds/singles here moved from NYC to the Triangle area? And if so, how do you like it?

Sorry if this is a duplicate post to somewhere else. We're literally sitting on the fence of a move - and are looking for sound advice.

Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 12:29 PM

915 posts, read 2,381,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkus View Post
Hey All,

I've searched threads with matches here-and-there, but nothing that speaks directly to our situation. I'll try to be as short as possible.

My wife and I (newly married and 30), have a job offer in Durham. We currently live in NYC on the Upper West Side (doesn't really matter), and we've been down to visit the Durham, Chappell Hill, Raleigh area over MLK weekend.

We wanted so desperately to love the area, but our overall feeling was that there was nothing to do. The threads mention great restaurants, bars and neighborhoods to stay away from or move to, but nothing about hiking the area, a swimming hole (if there is one) or really anything to do.

We're not looking for a total match to NYC, but we aren't interested in a house with a lot of land. Ideally, we'd love a loft or a small cute home in a neighborhood that felt neighborhoody, with places to walk to and friendly people.

Our fear would be that we'd go to work and have the option of going out to dinner, and that would really be it. Please tell us there's more! We want to love it so much!

Have any newlyweds/singles here moved from NYC to the Triangle area? And if so, how do you like it?

Sorry if this is a duplicate post to somewhere else. We're literally sitting on the fence of a move - and are looking for sound advice.

Thanks for your time.

My two favorite swimming holes are Turtle Cove:

guess rd, durham nc - Google Maps

Park at the end of Landis

The second one is Eno Quarry:

Eno Quarry, Laurel Bridge Road, Durham, NC - Google Maps

Park on Howe St.

Check out Durham Socialite:

Durham Socialite

Good neighborhoods may be Burch Ave, Trinity Park, Duke Park, Old North Durham, Watts-Hillandale, Old West, or Cleveland-Holloway, among others.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:43 PM

4 posts, read 12,405 times
Do you find the Triangle area to be "sleepy?" Is it just a perception, or is the area really thriving with stuff to get involved in?

Old 01-21-2012, 02:09 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkus View Post
Do you find the Triangle area to be "sleepy?" Is it just a perception, or is the area really thriving with stuff to get involved in?
You'll probably miss much of NYC dearly, especially transportation and activities.

Compared to Manhattan, this is Mayberry and is very family oriented.

If you love NYC and didn't find this area appealing, it might just not be your cup of tea.

Don't burn your bridges if you're not sure after a visit.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:11 PM

699 posts, read 1,705,773 times
Our daughter (mid twenties) lives in Durham and seems to be up to something all the time. She and a friend are part of a meetup group that went on a zipline tour last weekend. They go fishing and skydiving and whitewater rafting and... It think the group is called "I've always wanted to do that." In looking the name up, I found dozens of meetup groups that might be of interest.

I love visiting NYC, all you have to do is walk out in the street and there are all sorts of interesting things awaiting.

It takes a bit longer to find things here. But the place is full of early thirties (tech jobs, grad/medical students...) and they are all doing a lot more than going out to dinner. Independent Weekly may give you a taste.

If I was early thirties and had a chance to live in Durham, I'd jump at it. Good people, good food, real neighborhoods. Though, it might take a little longer than a three day weekend to find out if it is right for the two of you.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:20 PM

481 posts, read 1,086,077 times
There are places to go hiking and local swimming at the lakes. There is the beach, which is 2 1/2 hours away or the Outer Banks which are 4 hours from Raleigh. It all depends what you like to do for a night out. Downtown Raleigh has some bars and clubs but on a MUCH smaller scale. The city is no where near the size of NYC. I'm not saying it's bad, we love it here but I'm also 40 and not doing the heavy bar/clubs scene anymore. <---Not saying you are either...lol just letting you know where my opinion is coming from I love hockey so we love to see the Canes play at the RBC center. Which also draws many concerts. Things are kinda scattered about. It won't be like NYC with it all at your finger tips. You will need a car to get around, unlike NY. No mass transit system - just a small bus line and Amtrack but that is not for commuting. We moved from NJ to get away from certain things and love the people and the weather. For most of the areas it will be a slice of suburbia. Living in downtown Raleigh or Durham will have a small city feel but you need to see it for yourself. Be honest with your first reaction to the area. We knew we liked the vibe and feel of the area. If it seems to small or not urban enough you might be disappointed if you move.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:26 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,026,401 times
My sister lives in NYC and was also unimpressed when she came here to visit. I found out later, though, that she was expecting it to be a "big city" when it's really a "big suburbia/area". I think a lot of it has to do with how much effort you put into it. If you move here and expect life to jump out at you, you'll be disappointed. If you spend 20-30 min a week seeing what's happening throughout the Triangle, you will not be able to do even a fraction of the things going on. If it's about the city feel and city size, you won't be happy. But if it's really about activities to do and things to get involved in and you are willing to do a bit of leg work, I think you could become very happy here.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:52 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
I think a lot of it is where you come from and what your definition of 'city' is. I grew up in Philly which isn't as big as NYC, of course, but is still a very large-sized city. Plus all of my relatives were New Yorkers, so the only cities I knew of were huge. I never realized that 'cities' in some areas are what we would call a 'town.' I always remember the first time I went to Omaha, and I had to telephone for a taxi cab! It never occured to me that taxicabs do not drive around ALL THE TIME day or night. It still boggles my mind.

My parents are born and bred New Yorkers, and when they first moved to Phila., they went out one evening, my mom kept asking where all the people were. She couldn't believe that people weren't out and about all over like they were in NY (this was back in the late 60's). But I imagine the culture shock going from NYC to Raleigh would be a heck of lot greater, even today.

As long as you know what you are getting into, it's fine. But if you expect the pulse and liveliness of NY, you will be greatly disappointed!

Old 01-21-2012, 03:52 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Not sure if you've lived in NYC all your lives or if you're living there now and grew up in the 'burbs or whatever. We used to live on Long Island. Mishellina really summed it up nicely. The cities down here remind me of smaller cities like Albany, NY (for instance). You'll have to look a little harder to find things to do, but only you guys can decide if it's worth it to make the change. Also not sure if you're looking to start a family in the near or far future, but living down here would give you more options "down the road" so to speak if you are.

NYC is an absolutely unique city. I remember driving back from the Meadowlands after a concert a few years ago with some friends and we cut thru midtown and it was lit up brighter at midnight than most cities are a 9 p.m. - people everywhere ... you KWIM. You really can't replicate that too many other places - if at all.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 01-21-2012, 03:55 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
I can't imagine two places more different than NYC and the Triangle area (well except maybe somewhere in the Midwest, but I've only ever lived on the east coast). If you are happy with the level of activity in NYC, I think you'd be bored silly around here. That's my honest opinion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary