Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 03:23 PM

25 posts, read 80,503 times

Advertisements

We just got a water bill 12/14/11-1/13/12 for $91!!!
We are a family of 4 with 2 teenagers. According to the City of Raleigh Water Co. they say we are using twice as much as the average family of 4. Our statement says that we use and average of 299 gallons a day! Our bills have been high for years now and I can't believe that we use that much water. Nothing seems to be leaking and the toilets are not using more than normal, I think it is the meter. We are thinking of having it checked but are hesitant about what they will do and how they will check it, especially since we may not be home at the time.

What is everyone else paying? Any suggestions on what we should do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 03:36 PM

273 posts, read 618,937 times
Aqua water is my water company here in wake forest, and its $84, was just in todays mail. There's two people here. I like my baths, what can I say. :-)

Old 01-25-2012, 03:36 PM

441 posts, read 1,291,336 times
My bill averages in the 80's, 6 of us, 4 adults, 1 teen and my daughter who is home from school twice a month for a few days. We run the washer about 8 times a week and dishwasher about 5 days a week. 90 seems a little high, did they install new meters, I think all of Wake Forest had new ones installed in 06.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the reply, I don't know what to do. We moved in the last day of 2006 so not sure if we have a new meter or not. I don't run my dish or clothes washer as much as you do.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:57 PM

464 posts, read 1,043,505 times
With all of the faucets off so there should be no flow are you observing the water meter dial spinning, even slowly? Could be signs of a leak.

Make sure you dont have any leaky toilets (you would be surprised how much water can run through these with just a minor seal issue in the tank).

If all else inside the house checks out, the issue may be between the meter and your house which gets much more complicated.

Hopefully its something little. Did your bill just suddenly shoot up this month or has it been getting higher each month with the same amount of usage by you?

Old 01-25-2012, 04:02 PM

We checked the meter when we shut off the main and when no one was in the house using water, the dial did not spin.

Our water bill has been high for the 5 years we have lived here and we have questioned it. $70 is the lowest we've had.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:06 PM

441 posts, read 1,291,336 times
Look at the meter, there should be 1 small dial with a triangle in it, this should not move if all the water is off in the house, if you see it move I would first turn off the main water supply in the house and recheck, still moving there maybe a issue from the meter to the house. Back in the summer of 05 the water system was transferred from WF to Raleigh and the whole town had new meters installed a year or so later with the transmitter system.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:13 PM

273 posts, read 618,937 times
Who is your water provider? Wake Forest has a few, when we set ours up it was very confusing to find out who serviced the place......... Ours is Aqua NC

Old 01-25-2012, 04:18 PM

399 posts, read 700,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchz1 View Post
Look at the meter, there should be 1 small dial with a triangle in it, this should not move if all the water is off in the house, if you see it move I would first turn off the main water supply in the house and recheck, still moving there maybe a issue from the meter to the house. Back in the summer of 05 the water system was transferred from WF to Raleigh and the whole town had new meters installed a year or so later with the transmitter system.
Yes, you have to turn off the main valve and watch for the little triangle to move over some time period like 2-3 hours. My water bill was 3x higher and it turned out to be a cheap valve in the crawl space had broken 10 years after the house was built. If you end up having a repair, you can submit your paid bill to the water provider and they should adjust it to the normal amount.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benthephysicist View Post
Who is your water provider? Wake Forest has a few, when we set ours up it was very confusing to find out who serviced the place......... Ours is Aqua NC
Our bill is from the City of Raleigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary