Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 10:07 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,336,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
So do they work outside of VB and commute in to VB or do they live there?

Wording is throwing me off a bit...
I'm not sure what you mean, sorry. The Naval Station is in Norfolk, the Shipyard is in Portsmouth and the Naval Air Station is in Virginia Beach. All those cities, plus Hampton, Newport News, Chesapeake and Suffolk are in close proximity to each other and form a metro area called Hampton Roads. People live, work and commute throughout the area, just as people do in Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill.

All those naval jobs, direct and indirect, plus other jobs in things like tourism, healthcare, etc., are the economic drivers of Hampton Roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 10:24 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,885,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean, sorry. The Naval Station is in Norfolk, the Shipyard is in Portsmouth and the Naval Air Station is in Virginia Beach. All those cities, plus Hampton, Newport News, Chesapeake and Suffolk are in close proximity to each other and form a metro area called Hampton Roads. People live, work and commute throughout the area, just as people do in Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill.

All those naval jobs, direct and indirect, plus other jobs in things like tourism, healthcare, etc., are the economic drivers of Hampton Roads.
Ok. I referenced VB specifically and not the entire HR area. So it seems we were operating from differing frameworks.

VB's population alone is listed at nearly half million. that's mindblowing to me.

that's why I upped this VB thread specifically. It's just kinda quietly languishing with a half million residents.

VB is the third or fourth most populous southern city in an state along the coast. think about that. A city that has nearly half million residents and nearly nothing is said about it outside of tourism (e.g. going to the beach) is mentioned.

that's just crazy.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Ok. I referenced VB specifically and not the entire HR area. So it seems we were operating from differing frameworks.

VB's population alone is listed at nearly half million. that's mindblowing to me.

that's why I upped this VB thread specifically. It's just kinda quietly languishing with a half million residents.

VB is the third or fourth most populous southern city in an state along the coast. think about that. A city that has nearly half million residents and nearly nothing is said about it outside of tourism (e.g. going to the beach) is mentioned.

that's just crazy.
Economically, you can't separate VB from the rest of Hampton Roads, especially Norfolk. Its too tightly intertwined. The 2 cities directly abut each other, and you really can't tell when you go from one to the other. People work in one and live in the other. VB is perceived as being safer and having better schools, so its a desirable place to live in the Hampton Roads area.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Economically, you can't separate VB from the rest of Hampton Roads, especially Norfolk. Its too tightly intertwined. The 2 cities directly abut each other, and you really can't tell when you go from one to the other. People work in one and live in the other. VB is perceived as being safer and having better schools, so its a desirable place to live in the Hampton Roads area.
Ok, so let's look at the Hampton Roads MSA... nearly 2 million. 2 friggin million and no one nationally, barely regionally is looking at that area as a desirable location. Especially in comparison to Raleigh... Raleigh-Durham. Just...amazing.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Ok, so let's look at the Hampton Roads MSA... nearly 2 million. 2 friggin million and no one is looking at that area as a desirable location. Just...amazing.
Well, obviously lots of people are looking at it, otherwise there wouldn't be 2 million people there. I just don't get what you're so amazed about frankly.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Well, obviously lots of people are looking at it, otherwise there wouldn't be 2 million people there. I just don't get what you're so amazed about frankly.
didn't other people, including you, in this thread just down the area for being primarily military, touristy and sketchy?

Again, HR/VB is barely mentioned, if at all, on the national lists of desirable locations. You don't hear people scrambling to move to Hampton Roads/VB as you do with Raleigh-Durham. It's just odd to me.

Same with Jacksonville. the most populous city in the southeast doesn't get as much national interest as Raleigh...

Old 06-21-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
didn't other people, including you, in this thread just down the area for being primarily military, touristy and sketchy?

Again, HR/VB is barely mentioned, if at all, on the national lists of desirable locations. You don't hear people scrambling to move to Hampton Roads/VB as you do with Raleigh-Durham. It's just odd to me.

Same with Jacksonville. the most populous city in the southeast doesn't get as much national interest as Raleigh...
I haven't downed the area...I simply pointed out what its economic base is. The worlds largest naval base is going to create jobs, and jobs will create population growth. Simple.

Cities can grow due to all kinds of reasons. Just because its not a hot corporate relo area doesn't mean it isn't growing. And just because its growing doesn't mean it has to be a hot corporate relo area.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:29 AM

16,391 posts, read 12,409,088 times
Just because a lot of people live there, that doesn't automatically mean that it's a desirable place to live. It is a beach location with one large employer. Not a particularly high paying employer at that. Sure, there's a draw (or else there wouldn't be so many people), but it's not the kind of draw that is going to make people want to uproot their lives and move there.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:53 AM

569 posts, read 438,369 times
I had an opportunity to move to VA beach before I came to Raleigh. I found wages lower for my field than than in Raleigh and higher cost of housing though that may have changed since then, I haven't looked back!

Old 06-21-2017, 01:06 PM

11,208 posts, read 8,264,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Just because a lot of people live there, that doesn't automatically mean that it's a desirable place to live. It is a beach location with one large employer. Not a particularly high paying employer at that. Sure, there's a draw (or else there wouldn't be so many people), but it's not the kind of draw that is going to make people want to uproot their lives and move there.
I think of HR area as a bit more isolated than Raleigh too. Not sure if that is correct, but from Raleigh you an do a LOT within 4 hours of driving, and an incredible "lot" within 6 hours. And also on the closer side, so much to do within 1-2 hours. I have to believe that has some impact on desireability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary