U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 08:57 PM

41 posts, read 101,194 times

Advertisements

I am relocating and have a choice between Raleigh or Virginia Beach. I am in insurance and my sister who is also coming is in admin/accounting. We are both currently single and in our 30's and have been to both cities but do not know alot about either area. Any suggestions or info?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 09:05 PM

924 posts, read 1,962,386 times
Default Vado a bordo, cazzο!

What are you looking for in a new hometown? What are your criteria?

Old 01-25-2012, 09:17 PM

41 posts, read 101,194 times
I like nice restaurants/bars but not nightclubs, places to bike, walk, and dog friendly. I like the beach, and Raleigh is close enough to some so either way thats not an issue. We are single, so area with nice men? I know Va beach is military area but military men move around alot after this move I will be staying put so I'm not too compatible with that. Any outdoor actvities.....

Old 01-25-2012, 11:31 PM
CXN

23 posts, read 36,193 times
You don't have to pick Raleigh, unless you're set on this city. The Triangle has several cities within 45 minutes of each other that are good choices, depending on your desires.

As far as activities go, there are plenty of lakes (Jordan Lake and Lake Wheeler come to mind) for water activities. In addition to water sports, there are all sorts of field sports (even kickball!), equine sports, canine sports.

Not only do you have the beach in one direction (or right at home if you can substitute a lake), but you also have the mountains in the other direction at about the same travel time. Pretty sweet.

Virginia Beach has the flair of a beach city, but you will also get some of the riffraff due to the transient military crowd. I have friends who live there, and it's nice, but not as nice as the Triangle. Don't be scared of getting involved with the military, as there are plenty of men who work/live in VB who are not military.

Also, you'd have to chose wisely where you'd want to settle in VB to avoid as much of the riffraff as you can. In the Triangle, you have many more options for a cozy, safe place to live while you get your bearings. I also find more genuinely kind people in the Triangle than in the VB area, but that's just my experience.

Weather's nicer in Raleigh, too.

Ok, so I'm trying to bring you to the Triangle. But after you spend time in both places, maybe you'll want to try it out.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:06 AM

1,897 posts, read 2,846,352 times
Well Said ^^

Old 01-26-2012, 12:19 PM

14 posts, read 38,879 times
I am from Virginia Beach and there are some nice parts but some dodgy parts as well. I can tell you that the main "park" in Virginia Beach is called Mt. Trashmore because it is an old landfill that has been rehabbed into a park with a pond and play area for kids. There aren't any hills, mountains, etc. and there is a strong military presence but it isn't all bad. PM me if you want more specifics on certain areas etc.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:46 PM

117 posts, read 234,030 times
I love the Va Beach and Chesapeake/Tidewater area. I frequent the area in the summer. I'm a native of NC but I have yet to visit any beach along our coast.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:01 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,620,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire2 View Post
I am relocating and have a choice between Raleigh or Virginia Beach. I am in insurance and my sister who is also coming is in admin/accounting. We are both currently single and in our 30's and have been to both cities but do not know alot about either area. Any suggestions or info?
If you are both single ladies, Virginia Beach would be far more hospitable. Raleigh has a very difficult dating scene for women, there is a huge shortage of men. VA Beach is the opposite, men outnumber women due to the military presence and women generally get their pick of the litter.

I'm a guy and I've lived near Raleigh and remember how amazing the singles scene is for guys but that's because it is so poor for women unless you're model quality. I have a few friends in Virginia Beach who say how hard it is to meet women there. Raleigh is a very nice place to live with lots to do but I'm just pointing out the dating scene aspect which may be of importance to you.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:13 PM

924 posts, read 1,962,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire2 View Post
I like nice restaurants/bars but not nightclubs, places to bike, walk, and dog friendly. I like the beach, and Raleigh is close enough to some so either way thats not an issue. We are single, so area with nice men? I know Va beach is military area but military men move around alot after this move I will be staying put so I'm not too compatible with that. Any outdoor actvities.....
sapphire2, those are your criteria? Is that it? Well, based on just these stated criteria of yours, frankly Raleigh or Virginia Beach may be equally suitable, or any of dozens of other mediocre medium-sized cities around the country, for that matter. Both the Triangle area and the Hampton Roads area have a decent assortment of restaurants and non-nightclub bars, but neither place is exactly New York or Las Vegas. Both places actually have a lot of nice places for biking, walking, and dog activities, although the flatter terrain in the Tidewater area can make long walks or bike rides a little more appealing there. You say you like the beach, and Raleigh is reasonably accessible to several excellent beaches, but obviously it's not nearly as convenient as Virginia Beach is. I doubt there's much difference in the number of "nice men" in either place, although as you say, the military presence in Hampton Roads may change the equation slightly. Outdoor activities are plentiful in both areas, and the climates allow them to be enjoyed essentially year-round in both. So, unless you have other criteria for choosing beyond the ones you mentioned, and if there are no other extenuating circumstances, you may be equally happy with either. Flip a coin?

Old 01-27-2012, 12:15 PM

13,816 posts, read 24,830,386 times
I used to live in VB and moved here from there. VB has better weather, and overall IMO was a better place to live. Raleigh is cheaper all things considered on the housing front. If you make good money and can afford it my vote is Virginia Beach, just stay far away from Oceana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary