Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 04:00 PM

4,586 posts, read 6,414,204 times

Advertisements

This is a very unnormal winter, way above normal temps, way below normal snow and ice. Very weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 04:01 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
When we first moved to Raleigh in the 1980s, it was not uncommon for highs in January and February to remain below freezing and for lows to reach single digits... a few times near zero F. Recent years it has been much milder. Today's N&O has a story about zone changes for gardening that reflect the last two decades of data.

That said... the trend may be a gradual rise in mean temperatures because of global warming, but it wouldn't surprise me if we cycle back into colder winters at some point.
Be careful, there are a lot of NC natives that do not believe in climate change.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:43 PM

376 posts, read 1,061,885 times
Default Not typical

Ive been lovin it, but this is my 4th winter here and this is a very mild one! My experience here has seen many more 30 degree (highs) days and some snow/ ice days. This winter has been incredibly mild. Reminds me of Southern California. Now if we could just have a mild, dry, mosquito-less summer too...

Old 02-05-2012, 10:56 AM

66 posts, read 124,930 times
Totally hear you, ZinniaDreamer! We've only had to snowblow or shovel 3 times this winter....unheard of in Michigan! We also have had 2 days of sunshine in a row now with one other sunny day last week. Usually we are cloud-covered pretty much all winter due to the lake effect off of Lake Michigan. I am loving it, but I know it won't last. So hoping an eventual relo to NC will make November through March much more tolerable.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:44 AM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
Yep, it's been mild. We typically have highs in the 30's for at least 3 straight weeks in January. The longest cold snap we've had so far has been just 3 or 4 days.
This is wrong. We normally have highs in the 40-50s in the winter. Never have I seen highs in the 30s for 3 straight weeks. Normally our lows are in the upper 20s.

As far as snow goes. We average around 7" or so, but there are usually a few years mixed in there with little to no snow...like this year.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:31 PM

645 posts, read 1,502,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
This is wrong. We normally have highs in the 40-50s in the winter. Never have I seen highs in the 30s for 3 straight weeks. Normally our lows are in the upper 20s.

As far as snow goes. We average around 7" or so, but there are usually a few years mixed in there with little to no snow...like this year.

JQ Right on all counts!!

Old 02-05-2012, 03:07 PM

107 posts, read 143,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Be careful, there are a lot of NC natives that do not believe in climate change.
It always has changed and always will. It's never been consistent. Just enjoy this somewhat warmer winter while you can. Next winter could be very well be colder than normal and we all will be thinking we wish we had this winter instead.

For the record, this winter has averaged about 3.5 degrees warmer normal so far. Not as much as some people are imagining, but still nice.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:34 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
This winter weather is business as usual. We occasionally get a warm one like this. Enjoy

Old 02-17-2012, 02:56 PM

13 posts, read 22,846 times
Thread bump here as it looks like there will finally be some snowflakes in the air for the Triangle area Sunday night.

Here's a link that I discovered from one of the posters on this site, and I've been checking it every day for the past week (with a forecast snowfall map):
Raleigh Weather Examiner - Weather & Climate | Examiner.com

Even in a worst-case scenario -- a more southern storm track -- there would be a few inches of snow melting quickly during the day Monday. Helps that Monday is a holiday for many as it cuts down on the disruptions to commute / work / school.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:35 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Is there such a thing as a typical Winter? I don't dare try to describe that! There is, of course, such a thing as an average Winter.... that's really some sort of statistical mythical Winter that doesn't ever really seem to exist but on paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary