Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 10:07 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,842,883 times

Advertisements

Agree with those who say this is not unusual. Been here 38 yrs and have seen many winters like this. the flipside, my family in the UK have been experiencing colder than normal weather. A couple of wks ago it was -6f. I'll take this weather anyday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 07:22 AM

915 posts, read 2,375,983 times
And we may get 3-5 inches of snow tonight, according to Weather.com

Old 02-19-2012, 08:43 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,586,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
And we may get 3-5 inches of snow tonight, according to Weather.com
Are you sure you were looking at the Triangle? All I see is "About one inch of wet snow expected."

Old 02-19-2012, 08:44 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,126,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Are you sure you were looking at the Triangle? All I see is "About one inch of wet snow expected."
Even an inch will cause mass pandemonium and a shortage of milk and bread.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:15 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,374,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Even an inch will cause mass pandemonium and a shortage of milk and bread.
Eva, I'm pretty sure you're a local like me and didn't mean it this way, but I just cant stand when people say this like it's bad thing and everyone around here is a crazy. The old jokes about how when there's any chance of snow in NC people crave french toast (eggs, milk and bread) are funny but sometimes I think it goes to far. I (at least) think there's some solid thinking behind it...

Here's how I see it:
I don't know how to drive in the snow/ice so when conditions are thus, I don't. People are always complaining about the idiots who go out anyway, and I refuse to put myself and others in danger because I don't have practice with these kind of conditions. Heck, I don't even know how I'd get practice because it doesn't snow/ice often enough for me to really learn. So there's that.

Then there's the fact that the Triangle has a relatively small fleet of plows and salt trucks and rightly so, imho. The amount and frequency of winter weather we get doesn't seem to justify the expense to the government.

Third, there's the fact that even when the plows come through, I know my road isn't very high on the list so it might be a while.

Put this all together and it means that there's a real chance that when we get an inch or more of ice and snow, I'm going to be stuck in my house for at least a day depending on how quickly it warms up. If it doesn't warm up and melt, I could be here for a while. So why is it crazy for me to want to make sure I have food when I know that I could be unable to leave the house? And milk and bread are so basic that they're on everyone's list and the first things to go.

So not to rant at you Eva, but it just doesn't seem that crazy of a reaction to me. On the contrary it's pretty logical...

Old 02-19-2012, 01:29 PM

22,622 posts, read 36,563,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
Eva, I'm pretty sure you're a local like me and didn't mean it this way, but I just cant stand when people say this like it's bad thing and everyone around here is a crazy. The old jokes about how when there's any chance of snow in NC people crave french toast (eggs, milk and bread) are funny but sometimes I think it goes to far. I (at least) think there's some solid thinking behind it...

Here's how I see it:
I don't know how to drive in the snow/ice so when conditions are thus, I don't. People are always complaining about the idiots who go out anyway, and I refuse to put myself and others in danger because I don't have practice with these kind of conditions. Heck, I don't even know how I'd get practice because it doesn't snow/ice often enough for me to really learn. So there's that.

Then there's the fact that the Triangle has a relatively small fleet of plows and salt trucks and rightly so, imho. The amount and frequency of winter weather we get doesn't seem to justify the expense to the government.

Third, there's the fact that even when the plows come through, I know my road isn't very high on the list so it might be a while.

Put this all together and it means that there's a real chance that when we get an inch or more of ice and snow, I'm going to be stuck in my house for at least a day depending on how quickly it warms up. If it doesn't warm up and melt, I could be here for a while. So why is it crazy for me to want to make sure I have food when I know that I could be unable to leave the house? And milk and bread are so basic that they're on everyone's list and the first things to go.

So not to rant at you Eva, but it just doesn't seem that crazy of a reaction to me. On the contrary it's pretty logical...
In all seriousness I think most people agree. And I'm from NY and people up there also run out for French Toast Fixin's. Human nature. Especially if you have small kids you don't want to be stuck without stuff they like. But the amount of stuff that people buy can get a little silly.
But if you really look in those shopping carts you'll see beer, wine, nachos, cookies.....

Old 02-19-2012, 01:51 PM

915 posts, read 2,375,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post

NWS said 3-5 for Durham this morning, then it went down to less than 1, now the latest NWS advisory says 1-3 inches overnight.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:33 PM

61 posts, read 122,364 times
I can't believe what I'm reading here. Some people really need to lighten up and not take themselves and others so seriously.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:41 PM

162 posts, read 459,505 times
It's snowing in northern Durham County! Woo Hoo!

Old 02-19-2012, 04:20 PM

183 posts, read 452,362 times
Yay! the 1st snow.

Just look out for black ice on the morning commute - there is a Possibility of this. Not for sure, but it was mentioned on the news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary