Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2012, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 2,708 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I will be relocating to Raleigh in May without ever having visited! I will only have a three day trip in April to rent an apartment, and I am looking for input as to what areas I should gravitate towards, or stay away from. I'm a single woman, early thirties, no kids. Looking for a safe area with a quick (15-20 minutes) commute to my job downtown, rent under $700/month. I'm hoping some kind Raleigh-ites will help a me out by pointing me in the right direction. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 10:13 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,155,524 times
My husband works in downtown Raleigh and for awhile we were renting an apartment in Cary. Took him about 15 minutes to get to work. You may want to look at apartments around Cameron Village if you want to be closer to downtown. You could easily hop on the R-Line and get a free ride to work if you were living there.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:44 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
My husband works in downtown Raleigh and for awhile we were renting an apartment in Cary. Took him about 15 minutes to get to work. You may want to look at apartments around Cameron Village if you want to be closer to downtown. You could easily hop on the R-Line and get a free ride to work if you were living there.
Rline doesn't run to Cameron Village unless it's been changed recently and I haven't noticed.
While not impossible to live along the Rline for 700 bucks a month, it's not going to be easy to find a place on that budget downtown. But, it might be worth paying extra rent to avoid the hassle of driving. That's a choice the OP has to make. Parking might be the trigger here. If her job does not include parking and she has to pay for it, it might be better to spend that money living downtown along the R-line. And, if that's the case, then it's going to be a matter of where DT she's going to work. The R-line only runs in counter clockwise loops. One wouldn't want to go 3/4 around the loop route before reaching work if one could help it. Knowing exactly where the job is would be helpful to give further guidance.
For reference, here's the Rline website. Get Around :: R-LINE :: Downtown Raleigh

Old 01-27-2012, 11:44 AM

43 posts, read 112,432 times
check out these. cameron village is shopping area just to the west of downtown, by NCSU

Cameron Village Apartments Raleigh NC | Cameron Village Neighborhood Apartments for Rent

Old 01-27-2012, 05:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,708 times
Thanks for the great tips! I'm checking out Cameron Village and Cary

Old 01-31-2012, 08:52 AM

25 posts, read 75,325 times
It depends what types of areas you like... city, rural, etc. What do you want to be close to other then work? Do you want to be super close to shopping, restaurants, etc... or do you want to be just outside a little away from the hussle and bussle...

I live in north raleigh right now which gives me a good combo... quiet but shopping and restaurants is still just 2 minutes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary